Ubuntu 17.04 HELP

Hey! So I recently installed Ubuntu 17.04 (as it is the latest Ubuntu OS). Everything installed perfectly, however, the only thing wrong with Ubuntu is the stuck screen resolution on 640x480! My Acer - H6 Series 23" IPS LED HD Monitor is originally 1920x1080, however, due to something wrong in Ubuntu, the screen is stuck on 640x480 (Like I previously stated) PLEASE HELP ASAP

Have you installed video drivers yet?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

Have you installed video drivers yet?

That's not needed at the moment, my screen resolution was perfect when my OS was Ubuntu 16.04 (I didn't install any video driver) 

2 minutes ago, SBF said:

That's not needed at the moment, my screen resolution was perfect when my OS was Ubuntu 16.04 (I didn't install any video driver) 

Try opening up the terminal and using "sudo apt-get install mesa-utils", then log out then back in.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Try opening up the terminal and using "sudo apt-get install mesa-utils", then log out then back in.

Nothing -_-

3 minutes ago, SBF said:

Nothing -_-

Might be best to go back to 16.04 then. I wouldn't personally bother upgrading past that until 18.04 is out.

https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life Looking at that, Ubuntu 17.04 is a standard release, so it only has 9 months of support (Support for 17.04 ends at the end of the year) unlike 16.04 which is a long term support release, which gets support for 5 years. (Until early 2021)

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Might be best to go back to 16.04 then. I wouldn't personally bother upgrading past that until 18.04 is out.

https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life Looking at that, Ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10 are standard releases, so they only have 9 months of support (until 2018 for 17.04 and mid-2018 for 17.10) unlike 16.04 which is a long term support release, which gets support for 5 years. (Until early 2021)

Sorry, but I'd rather use 17.04 

What graphics card are you using?

On 8/20/2017 at 2:43 AM, SBF said:

Just because it hasn't been necessary in the past doesn't mean it won't be now, believe me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Do you have an nvidia or Intel integrated graphics? 

I think mesa is only for amd but I don't know. 

On 26/08/2017 at 10:23 PM, fpo said:

Do you have an nvidia or Intel integrated graphics? 

I think mesa is only for amd but I don't know. 

If its Nvidia , try going to the CLI with ctrl+alt+F1 and uninstall all nvidia drivers by sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

then install the lasted drivers by sudo apt-get install nvidia-<number of the driver>

then set them to Hold so that auto updates dont mess them up

sudo apt-mark hold nvidia-<number of the same driver>

hope this helps