Reinstalling from win 7 32 bit to 64 bit. Licence key same as CD key?

Hello everyone!

I tried my best to find an answer here and simply could not. 

My issue: I have inherited an old PC and started to do some upgrades. It is currently running win 7 premium 32 bit. And I was told I can reinstall to 64 bit. However I do not have a physical licencing key. I was told to use Magical jelly beans to find the CD key. Which i have. However I do not want to wipe my PC if this key will not work to reinstall. Are they the same? Can I reinstall with this key [it matches code format] and can I upgrade it to 64 buy.  (I have 8gb RAM that is being waisted on 32 bit)

it should work but OEM keys might differ.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If it is OEM, you'll need to find a different product key as I believe they do differ when it comes to OEM.

If it's retail, then don't worry about it, the key should be reusable on x86-64 installations.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The license key doesn't differentiate 32 or 64-bit version, no matter the license type (upgrade, retail, system builder OEM, or OEM)

So all you need is the 64-bit disk or USB Flash drive with the Windows setup on it, and use the same product key.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So all you need is the 64-bit disk or USB Flash drive with the Windows setup on it, and use the same product key.

That is where I'm having the issues. I do not have an install disk or USB. I can 'Download' the ISO files from Microsoft and it says that it can be placed on a USB however it only opens to a burner menu in which it will not recognize my CD/DVD drive anyways. Any way to get it straight to the USB?

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it is OEM, you'll need to find a different product key as I believe they do differ when it comes to OEM.

If it's retail, then don't worry about it, the key should be reusable on x86-64 installations.

Not true. OEM and retail keys are the same thing when talking about 32/64bit compability. Their only difference is activation when motherboard is changed.

11 minutes ago, H4L0Monster said:

That is where I'm having the issues. I do not have an install disk or USB. I can 'Download' the ISO files from Microsoft and it says that it can be placed on a USB however it only opens to a burner menu in which it will not recognize my CD/DVD drive anyways. Any way to get it straight to the USB?

You need to use Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus to mount .ISO into USB. Or you can use some burner software (even one coming with Win7) to burn .ISO to DVD. CD won't work as .ISO is 3.7Gb in size.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Not true. OEM and retail keys are the same thing when talking about 32/64bit compability. Their only difference is activation when motherboard is changed.

You need to use Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus to mount .ISO into USB. Or you can use some burner software (even one coming with Win7) to burn .ISO to DVD. CD won't work as .ISO is 3.7Gb in size.

I will try the creation tool or Rufus. I had purchased some 4gb DVD-Rs but my drive is just not recognizing them. Do those programs just format the USB to a recognizable state to directly burn to?

1 minute ago, H4L0Monster said:

I will try the creation tool or Rufus. I had purchased some 4gb DVD-Rs but my drive is just not recognizing them. Do those programs just format the USB to a recognizable state to directly burn to?

Yes. They format drive and then mount ISO to drive while making it bootable. So when USB is connected, your mobo will recognize it as bootable drive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes. They format drive and then mount ISO to drive while making it bootable. So when USB is connected, your mobo will recognize it as bootable drive.

Ok. So use Rufus to format the drive then download straight from Microsoft ISO image download and it will have the option to burn directly to the drive?

Sorry I am very green when it comes to formatting and downloads. I just want to make sure I have the process perfect so I don't really mess something up!

2 minutes ago, H4L0Monster said:

Ok. So use Rufus to format the drive then download straight from Microsoft ISO image download and it will have the option to burn directly to the drive?

Sorry I am very green when it comes to formatting and downloads. I just want to make sure I have the process perfect so I don't really mess something up!

Its really straight forward process with Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) as seen here:

rufus_en_2x.png

So only things you need to touch are Device (select correct drive) and Create bootable disk using (click icon to select ISO to be used).

Microsofts own tool had automated download for ISO, if you need easier way.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Its really straight forward process with Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) as seen here:

rufus_en_2x.png

So only things you need to touch are Device (select correct drive) and Create bootable disk using (click icon to select ISO to be used).

Awesome. I will try that after work!!!! 

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

rufus_en_2x.png

Ok so it's asking for a bootable image. I'm assuming that means the proper IOS file for win 7 home premium 64. That I'm trying to download is it not?? 

1 minute ago, H4L0Monster said:

Ok so it's asking for a bootable image. I'm assuming that means the proper IOS file for win 7 home premium 64. That I'm trying to download is it not?? 

Yes, thats the one you can get from Microsofts site. There are mirror site in case your key is OEM. Because of licensing stuff MS doesn't allow using OEM keys for downloading from their site.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

32 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes, thats the one you can get from Microsofts site. There are mirror site in case your key is OEM. Because of licensing stuff MS doesn't allow using OEM keys for downloading from their site.

Ok so the problem im having is the download goes directly into the Windows Disc image burner to burn to DVD. I cannot do this. Is there any way to burn from download directly to the USB? My USB is already formatted for the file type. But Rufus needs a ISO file to rip. But I can't get one becuase because it wants to burn to a disc.

7 minutes ago, H4L0Monster said:

Ok so the problem im having is the download goes directly into the Windows Disc image burner to burn to DVD. I cannot do this. Is there any way to burn from download directly to the USB? My USB is already formatted for the file type. But Rufus needs a ISO file to rip. But I can't get one becuase because it wants to burn to a disc.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. When downloading file, select to save to disc. And then when download is done, select file from Rufus. If I'm understanding correctly, you are currently trying to open/perform action rather than downloading file.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. When downloading file, select to save to disc. And then when download is done, select file from Rufus. If I'm understanding correctly, you are currently trying to open/perform action rather than downloading file.

No. I'm trying to download. I can select where to download it but it always boots up the Windows Disc image burner to burn to a DVD. I'm not sure how to bypass this and burn or copy to the drive. I want the file but it won't let me unless I burn it to a DVD writing Drive

2 minutes ago, H4L0Monster said:

No. I'm trying to download. I can select where to download it but it always boots up the Windows Disc image burner to burn to a DVD. I'm not sure how to bypass this and burn or copy to the drive. I want the file but it won't let me unless I burn it to a DVD writing Drive

And you can't cancel that? It really sounds like you have some setting where you open download once its ready. You can try with another browser. That part is browser issue at most.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

And you can't cancel that? It really sounds like you have some setting where you open download once its ready. You can try with another browser. That part is browser issue at most.

How would i change that

Just now, H4L0Monster said:

How would i change that

Which browser? I have all except old IE installed on 2 PCs. All set to save file and do nothing when its finished.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which browser? I have all except old IE installed on 2 PCs. All set to save file and do nothing when its finished.

Just downloaded Firefox to try again.

Just now, H4L0Monster said:

Just downloaded Firefox to try again.

That should do it. Just select save to (bottom option) rather than Open with.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Got it to work. Let's hope I can get it to reinstall correctly

Again green. I do not want to wipe my computer before knowing the steps. I have all ISO related files on my USB thumb drive. Formatted FAT32. How do i properly wipe and reinstall from here?

7 hours ago, H4L0Monster said:

Again green. I do not want to wipe my computer before knowing the steps. I have all ISO related files on my USB thumb drive. Formatted FAT32. How do i properly wipe and reinstall from here?

Do you want to keep any of current files? Installer is pretty self-explanatory and there's many guides with pics around the web.

Basic steps would be

1. Boot into USB.
  2. Follow steps on screen.

Only point where you need to make decision is when selecting correct drive for installing. There comes two options. Either format drive and remove EVERYTHING on it. Or install on top of current Windows. Latter will ask if you want files to be saved or not. If you select Yes, they will be moved to folder named Windows.old where you can get them later.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv