Trying to find a decent mechanical keyboard......

BluJay614

Ok, so, I've actually had to postpone some of my projects, and I tend to get a little picky and second guess quite a bit..... SO, these are the things I'm looking for:

-HAS to be a mechanical keyboard with clicky switches.

-Want to have a wrist rest included, preferably detachable

-NEEDS to have a number pad.

-Needs to be either white or RGB back lit.

-I would prefer it to be white, but doesn't need to be.

-I'd prefer it to be a reasonable price for the quality of what you get.

PLEASE NO SITTING HERE BASHING RAZER!!!! I understand some people have had issues, but that doesn't automatically make everything that comes from them shit. I actually enjoy my Blackwiddow Ultimate 2016 Edition, but this keyboard isn't for me.

Edit: Completely forgot XP

-It would be preferred to have dedicated media controls, but not a deal breaker.

Edited by BluJay614
Completely forgot

G610 Orion is what I have. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I think I know just what you would want. Look at this, https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2345

I would just stay away from brands like Corsair and Razer personally, and I am saying that from personal experiences from purchasing their keyboards, But Logitech and CoolerMaster are also good choices (Just stay away from those Romer-G Switches). Ducky is a really well respected brand in the enthusiast keyboard community so if you want a full white keyboard, get this. Don't think it has a wrist rest but just buy a nice one from somewhere else and use that.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

G610 Orion is what I have. 

While I love Logitech and their products (I currently own and use a G300s, and I plan on moving to the G502), I've found their RomerG switches to be.......unsatisfactory. I also noticed that the G610 only comes in Brown and Red varieties.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Why not a Model M.But other than that get a k70.

Because I'd rather have it not look like something from 30-40 years ago. I've thought about the K70, but have some reservations.

1 minute ago, eyeless_ said:

I think I know just what you would want. Look at this, https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2345

I would just stay away from brands like Corsair and Razer personally, and I am saying that from personal experiences from purchasing their keyboards, But Logitech and CoolerMaster are also good choices (Just stay away from those Romer-G Switches). Ducky is a really well respected brand in the enthusiast keyboard community so if you want a full white keyboard, get this. Don't think it has a wrist rest but just buy a nice one from somewhere else and use that.

Out of stock

My life

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Because I'd rather have it not look like something from 30-40 years ago

It's a better keyboard then most modern ones

I've thought about the K70, but have some reservations.

What are they

My life

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

only comes in Brown and Red varieties.

I use Browns since they are simply the best switches. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

get a K70, paint it white, done. think you can get it with blue switches. Another option would be the Masterkeys M or L. the M is a really interesting board seeing as it intergrates the nav into the numpad and you use numlock to toggle. i have its predecesor the Quickfire TK with blue switches and its a pretty nice board but id take my K70 over it any day because of the better build

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Buckling Spring

My life

G710+ Logitech, paint it white

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Himommies said:

Buckling Spring

gross 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don't even talk about the best switches till you type on some 67g Zealios haha

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

i would have to disagree, while they are my main switches, i have had membrane switches(good ones from 30 years ago) feel as good/better. the only reason im sticking to them is that the K70 is a great board and i dont dislike them, but they are really meh.

4 minutes ago, eyeless_ said:

yah Ducky are really nice if you have the cash, just thought id ask you one thing though, what problems have you seen with Corsair(beyond the LEDs dying on the K70 RGB)? i find the build to be stelar and looks and price to be good aswell. keycaps arent the best out there but they are still on the better side from what i know and have felt

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would have to disagree, while they are my main switches, i have had membrane switches(good ones from 30 years ago) feel as good/better. the only reason im sticking to them is that the K70 is a great board and i dont dislike them, but they are really meh.

yah Ducky are really nice if you have the cash, just thought id ask you one thing though, what problems have you seen with Corsair(beyond the LEDs dying on the K70 RGB)? i find the build to be stelar and looks and price to be good aswell. keycaps arent the best out there but they are still on the better side from what i know and have felt

Back when I got mine when it first came out I had 3 led's die within 2 months, resulting in me returning it and sticking with my Razer Blackwidow 2014 which had one dead switch lol. It was probably a dud but i've seen a lot of complaints from others about it. On the mouse side of things, my M45 died within 6 months. My friend also received a k95 that started malfunctioning and would work then randomly just turn off. Nowadays, as someone who builds keyboards and uses custom keycaps I just don't see the value in Corsair keyboards when other companies have offerings on par or better for the same price. Things like a standard bottom row and a clean aesthetic  I just don't find in Corsair's keyboard offerings. I get why people like them, but for me I wish LTT and other tech channels would shine more light on the non mainstream companies. Like they haven't made a video on a ducky product in years.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was originally planning to get them browns, but since they like the clicky sound, I'd go with blues or Razer's greens. As far as Browns being the best is a matter of opinion.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Buckling Spring

Again, a matter of opinion.

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

It's a better keyboard then most modern ones

What are they

1) How so?

2) I'm not fond of buying into a brand name, the Corsair software can be rather complex and confusing, and I know there are other options that can be just as good(if not better)

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

get a K70, paint it white, done. think you can get it with blue switches. Another option would be the Masterkeys M or L. the M is a really interesting board seeing as it intergrates the nav into the numpad and you use numlock to toggle. i have its predecesor the Quickfire TK with blue switches and its a pretty nice board but id take my K70 over it any day because of the better build

I'd rather not paint over brushed aluminium, and I don't feel like pulling a keyboard apart just to paint it.. Granted, the system I'm going to be pairing it with for them is going to be in a FD Define S painted white, but that is brushed plastic that I don't mind painting. I've looked into the CoolerMaster Masterkeys lineup, but I don't get the feel that it would be the right fit for this person.

10 minutes ago, eyeless_ said:

I've definately thought about them, but they seem hard to come by, and rather expensive compared to other offerings. 

9 minutes ago, JDE said:

G710+ Logitech, paint it white

I've thought about that, but, again, I'm not sure I feel like pulling a keyboard apart just to paint it.

I have considered getting a Tesoro Gram Spectrum

Back when I got mine when it first came out I had 3 led's die within 2 months, resulting in me returning it and sticking with my Razer Blackwidow 2014 which had one dead switch lol. It was probably a dud but i've seen a lot of complaints from others about it. On the mouse side of things, my M45 died within 6 months. My friend also received a k95 that started malfunctioning and would work then randomly just turn off. Nowadays, as someone who builds keyboards and uses custom keycaps I just don't see the value in Corsair keyboards when other companies have offerings on par or better for the same price. Things like a standard bottom row and a clean aesthetic  I just don't find in Corsair's keyboard offerings. I get why people like them, but for me I wish LTT and other tech channels would shine more light on the non mainstream companies. Like they haven't made a video on a ducky product in years.

i would absolutely love to build my own keyboard but its too expensive tbh. I can definatly see why you are not a fan after that bad experience with them, personaly this K70 was bought used, pretty sure it was bought by the previous owner at launch, and the only damage and wear i have seen on it has been my foult, so im quite a fan and quick to recomend just the K70, but not the LUX because the keycap font is SO BAD and i can only recomend it if someone wants RGB over plain red

Builds:

Spoiler

I've definately thought about them, but they seem hard to come by, and rather expensive compared to other offerings. 

Costs about the same as a k70 rgb at most places, but of course all keyboards would suffer from the RGB tax lol. Just curious what is your budget?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would absolutely love to build my own keyboard but its too expensive tbh. I can definatly see why you are not a fan after that bad experience with them, personaly this K70 was bought used, pretty sure it was bought by the previous owner at launch, and the only damage and wear i have seen on it has been my foult, so im quite a fan and quick to recomend just the K70, but not the LUX because the keycap font is SO BAD and i can only recomend it if someone wants RGB over plain red

I personally just dropped around 350$ to build my endgame keyboard. Well worth the price imo seeming how it's gonna be what I use for the next 5 or more years (hopefully). And yeah, the new k70 lux font is atrocious, used to be really clean but now it's far too "gamery" for my tastes.

3 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

I'd rather not paint over brushed aluminium, and I don't feel like pulling a keyboard apart just to paint it.. Granted, the system I'm going to be pairing it with for them is going to be in a FD Define S painted white, but that is brushed plastic that I don't mind painting. I've looked into the CoolerMaster Masterkeys lineup, but I don't get the feel that it would be the right fit for this person.

well if you are fine with painting plastic i would think directly of Logitecs keyboards, basically no metal but still a solid build but i dont think they have any cherry switches anymore. just membrane and roamer-G(membrane on steroids)

3 minutes ago, eyeless_ said:

Costs about the same as a k70 rgb at most places, but of course all keyboards would suffer from the RGB tax lol. Just curious what is your budget?

well at the moment around $0 USD xD need to finish off Northern Bee and the Toaster Project but once thats done i might have around $70-$190 to spend actiually so maybe a new keyboard i build myself would be a good option tbh. always wanted to do is to why not? we will see though in about half a month

Builds:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, eyeless_ said:

$150 would be right about the absolute top of my budget, and I'd rather not go quite that high.

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The red backlighting would be a real deal breaker for me.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well if you are fine with painting plastic i would think directly of Logitecs keyboards, basically no metal but still a solid build but i dont think they have any cherry switches anymore. just membrane and roamer-G(membrane on steroids)

Like I said before, I like Logitech and their products, just not the Roamer-G switches. I'd also not have to pull the keyboard apart just so I can paint it.

I just remembered about this keyboard, I think it's the best option. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYV02W8/ref=twister_B01N291CC3?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Once again iKBC is a brand I would recommend in a heartbeat, and this is 30$ less than the ducky. 

I may keep that one in mind.

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

I haven't heard about that one, but I'll definitely look into it.

@BluJay614

Take a look at the Varmilo VA108M

You can choose from Gats and MX switches, the case color, And the colors of the keycaps (They're dyesubs), etcheing and backlight.

If you want clicky Go for Cherry blues, as gat blues are noticeably louder, But if you go brown, grab gateron brows as they feel more stiffer and much smoother than mx browns.

Mx clears are also a great choice, they're a little heavier than browns

Customize to your liking and add a glorious gaming or Steelseries wrist rest and you should be golden.