Python IRC (twitch) bot can send messages, view and respond to ping but not see messages

Joveice
Go to solution Solved by Dat Guy,

The OP seems to have decided to use PHP by now.

Hello,

I started creating a bot for Twitch, I'm currently facing a issue where the bot is unable to view messages and I have no idea how to fix it.

To start of, I'm in no way known with python as I'm focusing to learn php, c# and javascript.

This is my code, and it's not able to get any messages. I'm also posting on twitch's dev site for help about this.

CHAT_MSG = re.compile(r"^:\w+!\w+@\w+\.tmi\.twitch\.tv PRIVMSG #\w+ :")
chat(s, "Hello everyone!")

while True:
    response = s.recv(2048).decode("utf-8")
    print(response)
    if response == "PING :tmi.twitch.tv\r\n":
        s.send("PONG :tmi.twitch.tv\r\n".encode("utf-8"))
    else:
        username = re.search(r"\w+", response).group(0)  # return the entire match
        message = CHAT_MSG.sub("", response)

# Commands
        if message.strip() == "!what":
            chat(s, "sup it's me")
    sleep(1 / (20/30))

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

For a start, every packet you receive may contain multiple lines. You should be splitting the packets into lines. At the end of some packets, you might notice there's a bit "left over" which doesn't have a newline at the end. This "left over" belongs at the start of the next packet. Without this logic, you will have an unreliable and potentially vulnerable connection.

Additionally, your regex is wrong. \w+ is a greedy match for anything non-whitespace, so it will match the ! and everything following, too. I suggest starting with: "\:\w+ PRIVMSG #\w+ :" just to diagnose this issue. It's perfectly valid in IRC to send messages to nick!user@host; the server will split the username and hostname off for you.

Write in C.

53 minutes ago, Sebivor said:

For a start, every packet you receive may contain multiple lines. You should be splitting the packets into lines. At the end of some packets, you might notice there's a bit "left over" which doesn't have a newline at the end. This "left over" belongs at the start of the next packet. Without this logic, you will have an unreliable and potentially vulnerable connection.

Additionally, your regex is wrong. \w+ is a greedy match for anything non-whitespace, so it will match the ! and everything following, too. I suggest starting with: "\:\w+ PRIVMSG #\w+ :" just to diagnose this issue. It's perfectly valid in IRC to send messages to nick!user@host; the server will split the username and hostname off for you.

The issue was that I had forgotten a # in the join channel :P and yes this PHP part

For some reason did not get a notification from this.

5 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Yea I'm gonna do it there as long as it works :3 Forgot to update the post.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"