Do keyboards, mouse, and a 144hz monitor really make a difference in FPS gaming?

Toon

To me personally the most meaningful thing was get a high end mice, when I used to get the cheapest mice possible thinking it didn't matter only so it broke 2 months later I got to the point I decided to finally invest in a Corsair M65 Pro, the difference in aiming on CS:GO was soooooo huge I never touched a "normal" mouse again.

a higher refresh rate than 60hz is nice, when I went from 60hz to 80hz I felt somewhat faster responsiveness but the change was no way close to the precision I got from a much better mice.

Keyboard is the only I'd say changes nothing, moving from a membrane one to a true mechanical made no noticeable difference in gamelay.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

21 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Also hello fellow 400 DPI user

you play CS:GO with 400DPI? I have mine set on 3000 and I have been feeling it's not sensitive enough! :o

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

you play CS:GO with 400DPI? I have mine set on 3000 and I have been feeling it's not sensitive enough! :o

Yes sir. 400 DPI, 1 in csgo. My highest DPI I use is 800.

Not really that usual ;)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Keyboard: not necessarily. This is now of a comfort thing. Mechanical keyboards are objectively better for your fingers in long gaming sessions

Mouse: yes. If you input something, you want it to happen as soon as possible

Monitor: yes. People saying that this doesn't matter are probably not people who "try hard" and there are a lot of people on this forum like that. People here tend to think Witcher 3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread and fast paced games are for ADHD kids. I mostly play competitive and fast paced games. 144 hz has is necessary. I successfully convinced two of my close friends who play overwatch and Warframe with me and at first they thought I was blowing the importance out of proportion. Now I make fun of them because they can't go back to 60 hz

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

Keyboard: not necessarily. This is now of a comfort thing. Mechanical keyboards are objectively better for your fingers in long gaming sessions

Mouse: yes. If you input something, you want it to happen as soon as possible

Monitor: yes. People saying that this doesn't matter are probably not people who "try hard" and there are a lot of people on this forum like that. People here tend to think Witcher 3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread and fast paced games are for ADHD kids. I mostly play competitive and fast paced games. 144 hz has is necessary. I successfully convinced two of my close friends who play overwatch and Warframe with me and at first they thought I was blowing the importance out of proportion. Now I make fun of them because they can't go back to 60 hz

I have an MG278Q. It's really weird because I don't immediately see the 144hz but if I go back to 60hz then it immediately feels choppy and slow and yuck and gross and unusable. And then when I play a game at 30fps on a console I can see individual frames.

The PCMR does have its downsides...

A good mouse is crucial, keyboard doesn't matter as long as it works, and the monitor is basically just for more smoothness, you have to be REALLY good for the 144hz to make an actual difference in your gameplay

That's an F in the profile pic

11 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I have an MG278Q. It's really weird because I don't immediately see the 144hz but if I go back to 60hz then it immediately feels choppy and slow and yuck and gross and unusable. And then when I play a game at 30fps on a console I can see individual frames.

The PCMR does have its downsides...

A good mouse is crucial, keyboard doesn't matter as long as it works, and the monitor is basically just for more smoothness, you have to be REALLY good for the 144hz to make an actual difference in your gameplay

I can clearly tell between 30 and 60 but I've never used above 75hz

On 19/08/2017 at 8:46 PM, Toon said:

Alright, so my friends keep pressuring me on buying a gaming mechanical keyboard, mouse, and 144hz monitor for FPS gaming (I play things such as Battlefield, CS:GO, h1z1, etc). I just use the default keyboard and mouse that comes with most pre-built computers from Asus and find it just fine and use a TV monitor (60hz) as I personally don't need anything special and rather just save money, but they keep telling me things like "The delay on your mouse, keyboard, and monitor is what makes you lose a lot! If you get gaming things it'll make you way better and more of a winning chance!", so I decided to come here and ask whether or not this is true, thanks.

There alot to consider here,

1. Your current level of play
2. The level of the guys you play against
3. Do you value  'winning' more, by value I mean investing time and money
4. The game's you play

For me, it's a no brainer as my level of play (5 years ago) was bad, I played against decent opponents (I lost alot), I valued winning so I invested time and money and finally the games I play (Insurgency, Squad, Rust, DayZ) peripherals count (in my situation).

But there is no magic solution, time and focused play and/or training count way more until you reach a certain level, then all the edges count. (and there may be decent edges in your system already, there's alot to check and adjust).

I invested in the best of everything to eliminate my hardware out of my goal, to improve and win more. I am now not bad, I actually can be pretty good!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

I would say just the monitor and maybe the mouse but the monitor makes the most difference because its so noticeable

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

HaHa, they say that because of the saying: Once you get a 144hz monitor, you never go back. It's true. A better mouse is better than a keyboard, I have a  Razer DeathAdder Chroma and I play games on a laptop so yeah. You become more precise if you get a better mouse, a wired one preferably. Since getting my Razer mouse I've slowly been increasing the DPI and it's currently at 1800 which is a LOT for people who have never experienced anything like it before, I remember when I used a friend's mouse once to play Gigantic, The sensitivity was way too for me. I've stopped increasing it for a while but I'll probably get back into it soon although over 2500 is too much for me, it takes time and you just have to get used to it. 

I could go on but there's just so much to discuss about this topic that I'll leave it here. As an overview: 

Mouse = YES

Keyboard = NO

144HZ Monitor = You can play without it and you will be fine but would be worth getting.

Everyone is different, so "higher performance" peripherals may click better with certain people.

Back in the day when I played CS1.6 and CSS competitively, I was rocking rubber dome media keyboards made by MS, and track ball mice. I have since gone through a Logitech G3, G500, G700S, and now a G502, and aside from the physical aspect, they all felt more or less the same to me. Truthfully, with all the keyboards and mice I've had throughout the years, none of them have ever felt like they've been giving me a better edge. Monitors, however, definitely. It was hard for me to adjust from my 110Hz CRT down to a 60-75Hz LCD. Going back to a high refresh screen was a welcome change.

Based on this, I'd say a higher quality keyboards and mice are more of a nicety than necessity.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H