I7-2600 non-K vs I7-7700K gaming/multitasking worth it?

Go to solution Solved by The Sloth,

not really worth it, wait for the 8th gen refresh. 

Hey i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice since i'm trying to figure out what kind of performance gain i will get if i upgrade my i7-2600 non-K to a i7-7700K in my gaming rig.

I currently have :

i7-2600 @ 3.9-4.2Ghz OC with Cooler Master Seidon 240v watercooler

16Gb DDR3 Ram @ 1600Mhz ------> will upgrade to 32Gb DDR4 2400 when getting i7-7700K

Nvidia GTX1060 6Gb

AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 ---- > will upgrade to MSI Z270 SLI Plus when getting i7-7700K

2Tb and 3Tb HDD ------> will probably get SSD soon aswell

650Watt power supply

Is it worth the 940 dollar price tag? Will i even gain any kind of performance gain? (excluding the ssd ofcourse)

it is worth it if you need a new computer asap. Otherwise wait for coffee lake.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Alright Thanks!

Two... more... days... to... wait... 

You can make it until then, right?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Two... more... days... to... wait... 

You can make it until then, right?

NO MONEY NEEDS TO BE BURNED NOW! KABYLAKE *runs of in a delusional chant about how great Kabylake is*

/s

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

50 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

The 2600K in those benchmarks is running at 4.5 Ghz, which puts it significantly above the performance of a 2600 non-K, while the 6700K in those benchmarks is running at 4.4 Ghz, which has virtually identical gaming performance to a stock 6700K. Consequently, the gap between OP's 2600 and the 6700K shown in those benchmarks will be a lot more dramatic than what is shown with the overclocked 2600K.

But OP should aim for Coffee Lake 8700K and not Kaby Lake 7700K, if they're going to upgrade to a new Intel CPU in the near term.

This video would be more telling of the difference between a 2600 and a 6700K or 7700K. Although, I think that a 2600 performs a bit less than a 2600K, even at stock setting on the 2600K.

With OP's motherboard supporting K CPU overclocking, they could buy a used 3770K, 2600K, or 2700K for cheap and overclock it to get sort-of competitive performance to a new system, but while saving a ton of money.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Snip

Either way the 8th gen unveil is monday morning, no point in buying 7th gen today if 8th gen is so close.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Either way the 8th gen unveil is monday morning, no point in buying 7th gen today if 8th gen is so close.

Or, like I just edited into my post:

With OP's motherboard supporting K CPU overclocking, they could buy a used 3770K, 2600K, or 2700K for cheap (and a decent cooler to go with it) and overclock it to get sort-of competitive performance to a new system, but while saving a ton of money.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

Holy shit you are serious? i didnt even know, glad i know now though haha thanks!

3 hours ago, olli3535 said:

Holy shit you are serious? i didnt even know, glad i know now though haha thanks!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/09/intel-to-unveil-8th-generation-core-august-21/

yup Monday morning a few hours before the Eclipse crosses the USA, Intel like they always do is claiming a performance boost in Single threaded performance, this time they say 11%, it's likely most of that will come from higher core clocks like where Kaby Lakes performance improvements came from higher clocks, added to that the rumors are suggesting the i7's will now be a 6 CORE 12 Thread instead of the 4 core 8 thread like they've always been (with the exception of the low power U series CPU's of course) to be even more competitive against Ryzens high core count, if this all plays out and the Prices aren't astronomically higher and the 8700k stays anywhere near a 6700k/7700k pricepoint (which have been basically like 10 dollars difference between them under most normal pricing) then it should be a pretty damn good chip for a Gamer that ALSO wants to stream, instead of having to lose all those frames you lose when using Ryzen under NORMAL non-streaming gaming.

3 hours ago, olli3535 said:

he is, and it will be 6core/12threads instead of 4core/8threads for probably about the same price

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |