Astell & Kern AK120ii review

spwath

This is a DAP. First thing first, you need to understand what a DAP is, and what its purpose is. DAP is an acronym for Digital Audio Player. It is essentially like an Ipod or MP3 player. However, DAPs are designed with the audiophile in mind, and can play different file types, and have better DACs and amps within.

The AK120ii is made by Astell & Kern, a division of South Korean iRiver. It is their high end division of DAPs. Going straight to the price, MSRP on this thing is $1700 USD. Amazon sells them for ~$900.

DSCF6706.thumb.JPG.82a3b85edd6e0b22f3a3386e9bae5038.JPG

Features

The AK120ii can play DSD files. If you don’t know what that is, it doesn’t matter. DSD is stupid. Supposed to be a better file format for quality than FLAC or something else, but files are expensive, and you get locked down into an expensive ecosystem. But if you believe in DSD, this will work with it. Also supports TIDAL streaming, along with a few others. TIDAL is a lossless streaming service. Nice feature to have, if you use TIDAL. It therefore can connect to wifi, for streaming, and software updates. Has Bluetooth too, but that would be stupid to use it with Bluetooth headphones. Various EQ settings are available. It can also function as a DAC/amp combo when you plug it into a computer. Pretty nifty. There is also a setting to lock it as a line out, to plug into an external amplifier. It has a balanced 2.5mm TRRS jack, along with the standard 3.5mm TRS jack. Not sure why they went with 2.5mm for the balanced, as a 2.5mm TRRS jack is a pain to solder. Micro USB port for charging/data. Standard play/pause, skip, back controls, along with a nice digital volume knob. As you can see, the AK120ii is loaded with features. Not much more you could ask for feature wise.

Build

This thing is built exceptionally. Glass front and back, aluminum sides. Feels very premium in the hand. Volume knob is a nice weight, wont activate in your pocket (you can also lock it when screen is off, but I found this unnecessary). Very sturdy feeling. Comes with a nice leather case, real leather, made in Italy. Should protect it well from accidental bumps. Build quality is overall top notch. Like Apple, but even more premium.

Software

Excellent UI. Nice screen to display album art. Very intuitive. Not going to go deep into it, but its pretty easy to use, for anyone who has used an IOS or android device.

Sound

That’s the main purpose of this device, so it better be good, especially to live up to its $1700 MSRP, or even its $900 street price. It has plenty of power, powers my HD650 fine at about 2/3 volume (though I listen a bit quieter than others). Still goes low enough to handle sensitive IEM’s with ease, the main reason I bought it. So the power is good, but what about the actual sound? It seems pretty good, punchy and strong bass, detailed without being trebly, and overall good tonality. Nothing exceptional, but pretty good. I am not discerning enough yet to notice all the minute differences between sources, but it seemed relatively similar to my Geek Out 450, a DAC/amp combo.

Conclusion

So, is it worth the $1700 MSRP? Absolutely NOT. That’s a crazy stupid price. Is it worth the $900 street price. Maybe, but I would recommend buying something else for cheaper over this. If you can get it at a good price used, it could be worth it though. Overall, it is a great device, with just a stupid high price.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

So you bought this?

I got it used at a very fair price.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

id love one but i 1: dont have enough FLAC files(litteraly 0) or other audiophile files 2: id rather have a 1080TI

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This review pretty much sums up my thoughts on the A&K DAPs I've had my hands on: "Best build DAP ever, but way too expensive". 

Does the 2.5mm balanced jack by any chance come with a break-out cable? It seems like too much of a hassle for the end-user to solder their own 2.5mm TRRS to dual TRS or XLR.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, Volbet said:

This review pretty much sums up my thoughts on the A&K DAPs I've had my hands on: "Best build DAP ever, but way too expensive". 

Does the 2.5mm balanced jack by any chance come with a break-out cable? It seems like too much of a hassle for the end-user to solder their own 2.5mm TRRS to dual TRS or XLR.  

I don't believe it did. I got it used though, I didn't have one. I don't think it did new though.

excuse me, but when did you get this? I may or may not be a bit jelly :D 

Though I must admit, higher end DAPs have always seemed to be a bit useless, at least for me.

Other than that good short review and this also sums up my thoughts about A&K in general, well built and pretty, but cost too much.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

excuse me, but when did you get this? I may or may not be a bit jelly :D 

Though I must admit, higher end DAPs have always seemed to be a bit useless, at least for me.

Other than that good short review and this also sums up my thoughts about A&K in general, well built and pretty, but cost too much.

Yesterday.

Got it for $100, on the grounds I don't resell it for any more.

Just now, spwath said:

I don't believe it did. I got it used though, I didn't have one. I don't think it did new though.

In that case it boggles the mind why they didn't go with a dual 3.5mm TRS approach. It's not like it would take up much more space. 

That was probably one of the only cool feaures of the Pono Player. 

But I guess it's still better than a proprietary solution.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, spwath said:

Yesterday.

Got it for $100, on the grounds I don't resell it for any more.

yep now I am jelly AF, for 100$ it is a freaking steal. I can't think of a single DAP around 100$ even used that would beat it.

Nice job finding the deal!

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, Volbet said:

In that case it boggles the mind why they didn't go with a dual 3.5mm TRS approach. It's not like it would take up much more space. 

That was probably one of the only cool feaures of the Pono Player. 

But I guess it's still better than a proprietary solution.

Yeah. I'm probably not even going to bother going balanced, for the little benefits, and lot of work to make the 2.5mm trrs.