LP, Single Slot GPU Suggestions

I'm trying to look for a GPU to get for my bf for his birthday since he's currently running on the integrated graphics on his i5-6400 (Intel HD 530). But the issue is that he has some Dell Inspiron and for some reason, while it does have 2 expansion slots dell decided to put the 16x slot at the bottom making it impossible to use dual-slot GPUs. So I'm wondering what cards can I get him that is low-profile, single slot and doesn't need more power than the PCIe slot can supply as his machine only has a 350W PSU. I was looking at the GT 1030 but I'm wondering if there are any other cards that would fit since even the MSI LP v ersion of the 1050 is still dual-slot.

unnamed.jpg

See if you can find any of these cards in stock:

http://graphicscardhub.com/single-slot-graphics-card/

The 1050Ti would be ideal but it doesn't appear to be for sale anywhere. The Amazon link goes to a dual slot card >.<*

There are some 750Ti single slot cards but everybody is asking like $150+ for them which is NOT worth it, at all.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1070 Katana. If your PSU can handle it. Otherwise 1050 Ti

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I think the bigger issue is that you're gong to have a hard time fitting the cooler of a single slot card even when you can find one. Might want to do some measuring. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

What's your budget for all of this by the way?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

See if you can find any of these cards in stock:

http://graphicscardhub.com/single-slot-graphics-card/

The 1050Ti would be ideal but it doesn't appear to be for sale anywhere. The Amazon link goes to a dual slot card >.<*

There are some 750Ti single slot cards but everybody is asking like $150+ for them which is NOT worth it, at all.

Unfortunately none of those cards are not Low Profile

8 minutes ago, JDE said:

1070 Katana. If your PSU can handle it. Otherwise 1050 Ti

While those are interesting single slot cards I need something that's also Low Profile

8 minutes ago, sauce-c said:

I think the bigger issue is that you're gong to have a hard time fitting the cooler of a single slot card even when you can find one. Might want to do some measuring. 

Yes that's why I'm looking around cause most single slot cards have dual slot coolers on them which wont work

1 minute ago, for7hyp3 said:

While those are interesting single slot cards I need something that's also Low Profile

Quadro K1200? Overpriced though :P

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What's your budget for all of this by the way?

I was hoping not to spend more than $175 cad

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

Yes that's why I'm looking around cause most single slot cards have dual slot coolers on them which wont work

have you considered buying him a cheap case and a new gpu? Just an idea

Just now, JDE said:

Quadro K1200? Overpriced though :P

Yea, way overpriced for my budget plus I believe the 1030 is more powerful but ill have to check that

Just now, sauce-c said:

I was thinking of that but I doubt the motherboard in his system uses standard screw placement and the PSU isn't ATX for doing a case transplant is more troublesome especially since he doesn't know that much about computers so I don't want him trying to do a case transplant and accidentally breaking something

22 minutes ago, sauce-c said:

@for7hyp3 Listen to this man. You're restricting your choices a lot by sticking with this case. $175 can get you a nice 1050ti, but single-slot cards are often louder, more expensive, and harder to find than regular ones. Performing a case transplant would make everything easier, and it's really not that hard, even with OEM systems. I've seen a lot of weird motherboards, like short mATX and stuff like that, but most of them use a lot of the standard ATX screws. Same goes for power supplies. At worst, you'd have to drill a few holes in the thin steel of a case with a power drill.

Also, I don't think an 8x slot would bottleneck a 1050ti. If this computer has one with enough space for a dual-slot card, then we are probably discussing a non-issue here.

Edited by InertiaSelling
double negative

1 minute ago, InertiaSelling said:

@for7hyp3 Listen to this man. You're restricting your choices a lot by sticking with this case. $175 can get you a nice 1050ti, but single-slot cards are often louder, more expensive, and harder to find than regular ones. Performing a case transplant would make everything easier, and it's really not that hard, even with OEM systems. I've seen a lot of weird motherboards, like short mATX and stuff like that, but most of them use a lot of the standard ATX screws. Same goes for power supplies. At worst, you'd have to drill a few holes in the thin steel of a case with a power drill.

Also, I don't think an 8x slot wouldn't bottleneck a 1050ti. If this computer has one with enough space for a dual-slot card, then we are probably discussing a non-issue here.

Just to add onto some of the good points made here, if that MOBO only lines up with 2 posts on a new case instead of 4 or 5 thats totally fine! That's enough to secure it. Also, a non standard PSU isn't a big deal, just throw it in the bottom of that case. You won't be able to see it (if there are solid side panels) and it will get the job done. 

1 minute ago, InertiaSelling said:

Also, I don't think an 8x slot wouldn't bottleneck a 1050ti. If this computer has one with enough space for a dual-slot card, then we are probably discussing a non-issue here.

1 minute ago, sauce-c said:

Just to add onto some of the good points made here, if that MOBO only lines up with 2 posts on a new case instead of 4 or 5 thats totally fine! That's enough to secure it. Also, a non standard PSU isn't a big deal, just throw it in the bottom of that case. You won't be able to see it (if there are solid side panels) and it will get the job done. 

He has his reasons for not doing a case transplant and if a case transplant was a viable option then I wouldn't even have asked this question in the first place. I've already dismissed a case transplant as an option, that's why im asking about single slot low profile GPUs. Also, yeah I doubt an 8x slot would bottleneck a 1050ti but his machine only has a 1x and a 16x and for some stupid reason Dell put the 16x on the bottom making dual slot cards unusable.

@for7hyp3 Finding a card that is both low-profile and single-slot is almost impossible if you want half-decent performance.

This a "single-slot, low-profile", $150-ish 750ti.

14-127-836-02.jpg

As you can see, the cooler sticks out when you look at it from the side, so it's not really single-slot. Same goes for most decent cards that are both single-slot and low-profile, because they generate heat, and the cooling solution has to be put somewhere.

I understand why you'd need a single-slot card. But are you sure it needs to be low-profile as well ? Wouldn't something like this fit ?

inno3d_geforce_gtx_1050_ti_single_1.jpg

If it wouldn't, then your bf should really re-evaluate "his reasons for not doing a case transplant".

7 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

@for7hyp3 Finding a card that is both low-profile and single-slot is almost impossible if you want half-decent performance.

This a "single-slot, low-profile", $150-ish 750ti.

14-127-836-02.jpg

As you can see, the cooler sticks out when you look at it from the side, so it's not really single-slot. Same goes for most decent cards that are both single-slot and low-profile, because they generate heat, and the cooling solution has to be put somewhere.

I understand why you'd need a single-slot card. But are you sure it needs to be low-profile as well ? Wouldn't something like this fit ?

inno3d_geforce_gtx_1050_ti_single_1.jpg

If it wouldn't, then your bf should really re-evaluate "his reasons for not doing a case transplant ".

As I said before a case transplant is not an option and im aware that most "single slot" cards aren't really single slot, that's why I posted this so I can ask the LTT forum community is they know of any cards that are true single slot low profile cards that I might have missed when I was looking around on my own for such cards. Also it has to be a low profile card his case dosent support full height GPUs.

I think zotac's and gigabyte's gt 1030s are the only cards that actually match your criterias while not being complete turds. Don't get me wrong, they're awfully weak when you consider fps per dollar, and they're pretty loud because their tiny fans often have to spin quite fast. But they're single-slot, low-profile and, perhaps most importantly, they're not gt 710s.

zotac-geforce-gt-1030-low-profile-2gb-gd

2851025-xl-b.jpg

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

6 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

@ShadowTechXTS It's dual slot.

Damn that case is limiting...

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

• 2 months later...

The best choice is gtx 745, powerful than gtx650 but slower than gtx750,it is also cheap alot than gtx750

15 hours ago, SHAHRUDIN said:

The best choice is gtx 745, powerful than gtx650 but slower than gtx750,it is also cheap alot than gtx750

Huh, I didn't even know that card existed. I already went with the GT 1030, it still outperforms the GTX 745 anyways plus it consumes way less power.