HTC Vive thoughts?

Thecoltr

Hi, I’m pretty new on the forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area, but I didn’t see a specific VR section and this seemed like the closest thing.

I just got a new rig and I want to play in VR. I have money for the Vive, but is is expensive and I wanted to know if it is worth it, and if I need a lot of room for it? Right now I’m in a one bedroom apartment with my fiancé, but we are moving to a two bedroom in October. Should I wait to buy the Vive till I have a spare room so that I have enough space, or is space not a factor?

With the Rift being $500, I'd take that as the first foray into VR. 

What are your specs? You can play VR in a 3' x 5' or less area if you're restricted. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you want to enjoy it fully, you need space, or more accurately, empty space. 

I would advise trying to find a VR demo somewhere (some electronics shops have them) to see if you think it;s worth investing in now. Personally, I would advise waiting until the next generation of headsets and most importantly, content, to come out. Right now, due to limitations of the hardware and software, it's still not much more than a tech demo that most will get bored of after a few months. 

The specs of my rig is a 4ghz 6700k, 16gb ram, and a gtx1080 founders edition  with 8gb of vram.

My fear is that the rift won’t be able to play the same SteamVR titles that the Vive can. I’ve seen quite a few games that only support the Vive, including Fallout VR. And thank you for explaining the space to me, seeing that the Vive comes with lighthouses I wasn’t sure how much room I needed.

To unlock the potential of the Vive you really should give it some space and use it in room scale mode. If you can't do that, you're not going to get the value out of it. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Thecoltr said:

The specs of my rig is a 4ghz 6700k, 16gb ram, and a gtx1080 founders edition  with 8gb of vram.

I would purchase the Rift off Amazon and see how you like it. Amazon will accept returns, I believe, within 30 days giving you enough time to test out the system before moving up to a Vive. Or just get the Vive and do the same.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I would purchase the Rift off Amazon and see how you like it. Amazon will accept returns, I believe, within 30 days giving you enough time to test out the system before moving up to a Vive. Or just get the Vive and do the same.

I think I will do that. Are there any next gen headsets coming out soon? I don’t want to spend that much and have a new one come out 6 months down the road. 

2 minutes ago, Thecoltr said:

I think I will do that. Are there any next gen headsets coming out soon? I don’t want to spend that much and have a new one come out 6 months down the road. 

I haven't heard anything more recent than mid-2018 to early-2019. Most of the planned upgrades are comfort- and quality-based such as controllers, headset straps, and better tracking for different objects such as guns and sticks. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Personally (I have owned both) for me the Vive win's hands down.

But you must have space to enjoy it. I would say min 6x6 foot, preferably more.

Gota say I have grown bored of mine, to a point. I have to set it up to use and mostly can't be bothered. But my shift from VR has been back into my normal FPS Gaming, so this isn't saying there is nothing good to do on Vive as there simply, is.

Onward, Arizona Sunshine, Audio Shield, Live for speed, Elite Dangerous, No Limits Roller Coaster (but I have a motion platform rig set up) have all been amazing in my opinion on Vive VR. and there is a huge selection of shorter demo type games and experiences.

My little un, friends and family have all been blown away by it, it's a real conversation point.

I say go for it, if you have the room, enjoy it and if its not for you after a while your re-sale value isn't to bad (for now).

People who havn't tried VR really are missing out on this technology.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/08/2017 at 11:09 AM, Thecoltr said:

Hi, I’m pretty new on the forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area, but I didn’t see a specific VR section and this seemed like the closest thing.

I just got a new rig and I want to play in VR. I have money for the Vive, but is is expensive and I wanted to know if it is worth it, and if I need a lot of room for it? Right now I’m in a one bedroom apartment with my fiancé, but we are moving to a two bedroom in October. Should I wait to buy the Vive till I have a spare room so that I have enough space, or is space not a factor?

Vive is absolutely worth it, but only if you meet the room scale minimum requirements. I made the mistake of purchasing a Vive back when my room had little to no space. It was still great, but it restricted the stuff I could do and the games I could play. A month or so later I moved, had much more room, and was able to set up room scale VR, and it made WORLDS of a difference!! It's not to say you can't enjoy VR in a small environment, but it's more beneficial if you have more room.

Vive. Bought one at the weekend after waiting for a year to see if the hype was worth it. I have been utterly blown away by Google Earth VR - that is worth the price of the headset alone in my eyes.

Some of the other software that I have tried seems to be almost tech demo in style, but there are a few gems out there too.

I haven't tried the Rift, but I do concur with the others about the room space needed to make the Vive worth it. Even better if you can leave it set up - for me it's as easy as flicking on a wall outlet for the base stations and putting the headset on. Not sure if I'd use it as much if I had to set it up each time though.