how to record sound input?

so i used to just Play my keyboard out of the build in speakers. but recently someone gave a mix panel and compressor and stuff. after setting it up i decided to plug the output into my pc, fire up audacity, only to find out that no matter wich of the criptic input names i set it to, it either records nothing,pc sound, or the internal mic. the port on the pc is a mic/speaker combo port, and i am feeding a mono signal into it. i also dont know if i should use MME, directsound or WASAPI, because i have never heard of any of these. the laptop is a lenovo carbon x1 3rd gen. thx in advanec, ruwo

Are you using the right cable to connect your keyboard? With those mic/headphone combo ports you'll probably need one of these, with 3 bands instead of 2: 

combo_jack.jpg

Does you mum know you're here?

3 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Are you using the right cable to connect your keyboard? With those mic/headphone combo ports you'll probably need one of these, with 3 bands instead of 2: 

combo_jack.jpg

oh, no. i dont have one of those. but its mono audio coming through an adaptor to regular size jack.(not mini) i thought that would work. i'll try another cable in a minute

29 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

oh, no. i dont have one of those. but its mono audio coming through an adaptor to regular size jack.(not mini) i thought that would work. i'll try another cable in a minute

Use fucking ASIO first of all.

Can you sen a pic of the setup.There are literally a couple thousand ways to configure what you just said 

My life

Whats an asio? And here are pictures of a test directly from the keyboard, to elimanate all other factors. Still same results

9 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Can you sen a pic of the setup.There are literally a couple thousand ways to configure what you just said 

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

8 minutes ago, Himommies said:

No need to be rude. More importantly, in this case there's absolutely no benefit to using ASIO drivers.

OP is not using MIDI, and also has no need for low latency input. MME and DriectSound work fine for recording, I'd personally go for WASAPI as it's the newest standard and has certain benefits, but honestly any of them are perfectly alright in this case.

Just now, VVoltor said:

not using MIDI

59 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

so i used to just Play my keyboard

I'm confused now

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

I'm confused now

i just played through the speakers built into the keyboard, without recording

2 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

Whats an asio? And here are pictures of a test directly from the keyboard, to elimanate all other factors. Still same results

I see, the splitter from the keyboard just duplicates the signal, I assume you're using headphones at the same time?

The other end of the cable, the one that goes into your laptop is likely the problem. 

You'll need one of these things, that seperate the mic and headphone signal, the plug that goes into the laptop should go into the pink one.

$T2eC16RHJH8FHRKc8CONBR5(sCg1N!--60_35.JPG

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

I see, the splitter from the keyboard just duplicates the signal, I assume you're using headphones at the same time?

The other end of the cable, the one that goes into your laptop is likely the problem. 

You'll need one of these things, that seperate the mic and headphone signal, the plug that goes into the laptop should go into the pink one.

$T2eC16RHJH8FHRKc8CONBR5(sCg1N!--60_35.JPG

or you know plug the headphones into the output

My life

oh ok, i'll try to find those. and yes, i'm using headphones out of the same thing because the keyboard has no line out

Just now, RUWO_builder said:

oh ok, i'll try to find those. and yes, i'm using headphones out of the same thing because the keyboard has no line out

Does the mixer you have have USB out or no

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Does the mixer you have have USB out or no

nope, just a line out, going to my amp and laptop(normally, not for the test), going to my speakers

nope, just a line out, going to my amp and laptop(normally, not for the test), going to my speakers

What I would do is 

Keyboard

Mixer-------->Headphones

Compressor

Laptop

And when you want to watch youtube and stuff just plug the headphones back in

My life

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

What I would do is 

Keyboard

Mixer-------->Headphones

Compressor

Laptop

And when you want to watch youtube and stuff just plug the headphones back in

i'm not going to change anyhting about the mess in the server cabinet, dont try to convince me. when i said "amp", i meant the cabinet with compressor an damp an other stuff and things

i'm not going to change anyhting about the mess in the server cabinet, dont try to convince me. when i said "amp", i meant the cabinet with compressor an damp an other stuff and things

I know.Are you going to use it though why not just plug your keyboard in and fiddle around.Can you provide say a inventory of what you have with names and all that

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I know.Are you going to use it though why not just plug your keyboard in and fiddle around.Can you provide say a inventory of what you have with names and all that

i would be happy with jut the keyboard to the laptop, i can figure the rest out later, but that also does not work. i would like to lay my hands on multi track recording, but it sounds like i will need to find myself such a 5 conductor cable, wich is not available in any local electronics shop, so amazon, here we come.

23 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

i would be happy with jut the keyboard to the laptop, i can figure the rest out later, but that also does not work. i would like to lay my hands on multi track recording, but it sounds like i will need to find myself such a 5 conductor cable, wich is not available in any local electronics shop, so amazon, here we come.

just do what your originally did 

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

just do what your originally did 

no laptop in the picture? then i cant record at all, let alone multi track

1 minute ago, RUWO_builder said:

no laptop in the picture? then i cant record at all, let alone multi track

you need a splitter like @VVoltor said

My life