evga g1 psu fan removal

baconxmaster

so i recentaly got a new g1 650w psu from evga but i found out that the fan in the psu was loud and i just cut the fan out is it ok that it does get the cooling from that fan but from case fans.and it really helped out noise levels and i basically cant even tell my pc is on. so far for like 1h its been fine. has anyone else done this before without replacing the fan.( i really cant replace it b/c its hot glued to other components and i dont want to get hurt.

i would cut the cable of the fan, hot glue another one on top, and splice it into the same wires.(makes sure its the same voltage fan). i have done this before many times on hp nad acer propreietary stuff, but yet on a evga powersupply. should be fine though.

4 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

i would cut the cable of the fan, hot glue another one on top, and splice it into the same wires.(makes sure its the same voltage fan). i have done this before many times on hp nad acer propreietary stuff, but yet on a evga powersupply. should be fine though.

possible but even if i buy some wire cutters soldering iron and buy a new fan doesnt the psu gives that fan full 12v dc and it would go 100% fan speed. but i would like ur opinion if u think its ok thats theres no fan directly on it ( i still have the case fans.)

Just now, baconxmaster said:

possible but even if i buy some wire cutters soldering iron and buy a new fan doesnt the psu give that fan full 12v dc and it would go 100% fan speed. but i would like ur opinion if u think its ok thats theres no fan directly on it( i still have the case fans.

depends on how much case fans you have in wich config. also if the fan grill of the psu in pointing down, thats a plain no. you dont have wire cutters? how do you cut cable management zipties? anyhow, your brother/dad/sister/mom or some other person you know probably has this stuff and knows how to solder. if there are 3 wires running to the psu fan, buy a 3 pin header fan and athatch all three wires and it wont run all the time. same for four wire, wich i dout the psu will have

17 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

you dont have wire cutters? how do you cut cable management zipties?

sharp scissors work fine

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

3 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

sharp scissors work fine

pretty much thats what i used

21 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

depends on how much case fans you have in wich config. also if the fan grill of the psu in pointing down, thats a plain no. you dont have wire cutters? how do you cut cable management zipties? anyhow, your brother/dad/sister/mom or some other person you know probably has this stuff and knows how to solder. if there are 3 wires running to the psu fan, buy a 3 pin header fan and athatch all three wires and it wont run all the time. same for four wire, wich i dout the psu will have

i have 1 front fan back fan cpu fan and i have the psu facing up and i removed the fan completely and its open air psu now

50 minutes ago, baconxmaster said:

possible but even if i buy some wire cutters soldering iron and buy a new fan doesnt the psu gives that fan full 12v dc and it would go 100% fan speed. but i would like ur opinion if u think its ok thats theres no fan directly on it ( i still have the case fans.)

It should only be giving that fan like 4-5 volts (the fan from mine was actually louder running on 5v from USB than it was actually in the PSU). Unfortunately you only have like 3 options to outright replace that fan since they just HAD to use a 135mm fan.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

These are the things that you should wait to do until you have confirmation that the product is going to be okay without active cooling. It might still be running, but in theory it could be running at a very high temperature(within the context of the unit).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

22 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

These are the things that you should wait to do until you have confirmation that the product is going to be okay without active cooling. It might still be running, but in theory it could be running at a very high temperature(within the context of the unit).

ya i went into the psu reviews just not that deep and i thought that it had eco fan ( the fan wouldnt run when its not needed) like all the g1's g2's g3's and gs's like even my 500 watt silver 80plus that was $40 has eco fan system. so i thought a $80 one would have it too

2 hours ago, baconxmaster said:

so i recentaly got a new g1 650w psu from evga but i found out that the fan in the psu was loud and i just cut the fan out is it ok that it does get the cooling from that fan but from case fans.and it really helped out noise levels and i basically cant even tell my pc is on. so far for like 1h its been fine. has anyone else done this before without replacing the fan.( i really cant replace it b/c its hot glued to other components and i dont want to get hurt.

Oh dear...

Why not buy a PSU suitable for your needs? There are so many...

And what you did doesn't seem right at all.

Especially since the fan is a safety relevant component, with removing it, you voided every safety certificate. So if you burn down your house, no insurance will pay....

So you should replace the whole unit and _NOT USE IT NO MORE!_

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"