Connecting Google wifi remote units trough ethernet cable

Samten

Hi.

I live in an about 200 square meter (around 2200 square feet) house, splitted into three floors. As my house is quite old it has mud inbetween the floors, which isnt really great for wifi passtrough. As it stands i have sorta-good connection in the basement, sorta-mediocre connection in the first floor and next to no connection in the second floor. I used to have seperate networks in the different floors, however this isnt really user friendly especially with small kids. 

So i've been looking into getting a mesh network, and from what i've read Google wifi seems like the best option. Im thinking one unit on each floor. Since the connection between the different floors are so bad i would like to connect them all trough ethernet cable. from what i understand you can, basicly daisy chaining them (Modem -> base unit -> mesh point -> mesh point). Has anyone here done this and how did it work?

Can't really return them as i have to order them of ebay or amazon and ship them to Norway, because google wifi hasnt released in Norway. Basicly if it doesn't work, with import tax its 300 dollars down the drain.

have an 160/15 mbit/s connection.

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, Samten said:

Hi.

I live in an about 200 square meter (around 2200 square feet) house, splitted into three floors. As my house is quite old it has mud inbetween the floors, which isnt really great for wifi passtrough. As it stands i have sorta-good connection in the basement, sorta-mediocre connection in the first floor and next to no connection in the second floor. I used to have seperate networks in the different floors, however this isnt really user friendly especially with small kids. 

So i've been looking into getting a mesh network, and from what i've read Google wifi seems like the best option. Im thinking one unit on each floor. Since the connection between the different floors are so bad i would like to connect them all trough ethernet cable. from what i understand you can, basicly daisy chaining them (Modem -> base unit -> mesh point -> mesh point). Has anyone here done this and how did it work?

Can't really return them as i have to order them of ebay or amazon and ship them to Norway, because google wifi hasnt released in Norway. Basicly if it doesn't work, with import tax its 300 dollars down the drain.

have an 160/15 mbit/s connection.

Thanks in advance.

Why not one router and 2 access points.

1 hour ago, Marshnt said:

Why not one router and 2 access points.

That would require me to manually change between the networks. Essentially what i have today, not really great with children. and most units dont automaticly switch to the fastest network.

22 hours ago, Samten said:

That would require me to manually change between the networks. Essentially what i have today, not really great with children. and most units dont automaticly switch to the fastest network.

If you buy the right hardware you don't need separate networks.

On 8/19/2017 at 8:25 PM, Samten said:

Thats because you didn't use the right hardware. There are 3 roaming standards. The devices have to support the same one. You really need to use the same AP's the get this to work right. Ubiquiti AP's I heard are going to be some of the best to use, at least at the price. 

The Google WiFi is meant to be used as range extenders. Just a little less shity. As they have a dedicated 5Ghz radio to communicate between the Google Devices.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.