I need a upgrade path.

nerdv2

Hi guys, I am currently rocking this computer.

• Intel Core2Duo E8400 OC @ 3.44ghz
  • Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS 2
  • GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)
  • 4x1gb of DDR2 667mhz.
  • Gigabyte GeForce GT430 2GB
  • SAMSUNG MZ7LF128HCHP 120GB SSD
  • Random Toshiba 500GB HDD
  • Enlight Blacksilver 450W PSU 80+ Bronze

I have using this computer with a small amount of upgrade over the years, and in fact that I been using the same motherboard for like 8 years and it's been stable as always. I wanna keep this clear that I don't want to jump to a newer generation since my workflow is mostly on Linux and I dualboot to Windows 10 often to play some indie game and a Telltale-style of games. I am still happy with my current build since it hasn't gave me trouble for these years.

But I want your opinion on where I can expand this lifecycle of this computer for a few more years before I jump to a new ecosystem and planning to keep this PC for FTP or Apache HTTP development server, so this is what's on my mind.

• I am planning to upgrade the CPU to Core2Quad E9400. Is this a good option or is there anything better with the same price point.
  • 4x2gb of RAM seems nice. What your recommendation for the memory?
  • My current temp is 55c, If I planned to switch to C2Q and still had a modest small amount of overclock. What cooler I could use on lower budget?
  • A GPU upgrade would be nice, what GPU should I choose from the older generation like Kepler that I could buy used one for cheap and won't catch fire with that PSU.
  • Is there anything I left off, feel free to ask or gave suggestion.

My current games are: Life is Strange, Unreal Tournament 2004, Diablo II, Brutal Legend.

What I wish to play in the future: Life is Strange: Before the Storm, another batch of Telltale games, a few indie game like Eddie Finch or Ori and the blind forest 2.

GTX 980, along with PSU upgrade (they are really cheap nowdays), then after that move to Ryzen

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

GTX 980, along with PSU upgrade (they are really cheap nowdays), then after that move to Ryzen

Oh man, that's overkill for what my usage will be. Is there anything lower without bottlenecking that old Mobo and CPU.

My allocation for GPU and possible PSU upgrade is 200usd.

But yes, I am looking forward to Ryzen 3 for my new build.

q9400 sounds good, go for the extra ram also. 

see if you can get your hands on 750Ti or a cheap low end card similar to that (660 as well) 

idk

3 minutes ago, nerdv2 said:

Oh man, that's overkill for what my usage will be. Is there anything lower without bottlenecking that old Mobo and CPU.

My allocation for GPU and possible PSU upgrade is 200usd.

But yes, I am looking forward to Ryzen 3 for my new build.

If you have a really cheap motherboard, try doing the 771 mod ?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

q9400 sounds good, go for the extra ram also. 

see if you can get your hands on 750Ti or a cheap low end card similar to that (660 as well)

I think 750Ti much more easier to find and I had the budget to get a used one, do I need a PSU upgrade? If I need to what should I choose with like 50usd.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

If you have a really cheap motherboard, try doing the 771 mod ?

While I love the possibility of running Xeon on this, I am still using this pc before I start a new build for like 2 years from now and Core2Quad is much more safer option for me and easily overclockable.