Considering buying an M11x R1 for 100 CAD

Go to solution Solved by Emberstone,
53 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yeah, I saw it today and the thing that jumped out at me was 100% the exellent build quality.  Runs win7 and I already have 2×4gb ddr3 so I can at least max that out :P

I figure I can get a cheap 250gb ssd, clone it over and enjoy a snappy little heavy chromebook kind of laptop.  

Probably going to need a new battery now.

As long as you don't expect to play AAA games (my M15X won't even run Overwatch), it should serve you fine. You could also play pretty much whatever indie game you want, or something like Minecraft, with a machine like that and be just fine, and it's a tank to boot.

For the price, I'd say it's alright as long as it's in good condition and the screen looks good (since they may have dead pixels nowadays).

It's OOOOOLD and has nearly no upgrade path (ssd and RAM, nothing else) 

You can OC the core duo to 1.78ghz from 1.3

It has a gts 335M

weighs 4.5lb

And it's so damn cute! I can get one for 100 CAD (75 USD) and I could really use a smol laptop but is it worth it? 

Main uses:

Forum browsing

YouTube 

Writing up documents

Watching downloaded movies/anime on long car rides

Easy to run rogue likes (FTL, risk of rain)

Old total war games

Maybe a bit of overwatch?

@Galm

@Pendragon

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I own an R3, it is really hard to take apart and clean and fix, requiring taking apart the keyboard and removing over half the system. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

I own an R3, it is really hard to take apart and clean and fix, requiring taking apart the keyboard and removing over half the system. 

Don't mind that, I have ESDP + a lot of screwdrivers.  

What are your specs?

My last laptop was an M15X from 2010. Aside from the dead pixels that formed in the screen in the last year (it's a very old laptop that saw nearly daily use, so it gets a pass from me), it's been a great machine until I replaced it with my, admittedly crappy, MSI GS63VR (blown speaker out of the box and the TN panel isn't super nice).

Performance aside, I don't think I'll ever own a nicer laptop than that M15X was. It was built so sturdy I stepped on it once getting out of bed and it's still alive without so much as a dent where my foot went.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

1 minute ago, Emberstone said:

-snip-

Yeah, I saw it today and the thing that jumped out at me was 100% the exellent build quality.  Runs win7 and I already have 2×4gb ddr3 so I can at least max that out :P

I figure I can get a cheap 250gb ssd, clone it over and enjoy a snappy little heavy chromebook kind of laptop.  

Not seeing it on overwatch...  But can probably handle basic crap like internet browsing...  It still isn't going to be great but I mean that's crazy cheap.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

7 minutes ago, Galm said:

that's crazy cheap

Yeah I know, down from $350 asking price and at this price it's about 50 bucks cheaper than a used low end chromebook. 

8 minutes ago, Galm said:

Not seeing it on overwatch...  But can probably handle basic crap like internet browsing...  It still isn't going to be great but I mean that's crazy cheap.

Yeah, figured on overwatch.  Otherwise it should be good though, not exactly asking a lot from it xD  I imagine the very basic rogue likes will be totally fine, same with the 726p video playback.

53 minutes ago, Damascus said:

As long as you don't expect to play AAA games (my M15X won't even run Overwatch), it should serve you fine. You could also play pretty much whatever indie game you want, or something like Minecraft, with a machine like that and be just fine, and it's a tank to boot.

For the price, I'd say it's alright as long as it's in good condition and the screen looks good (since they may have dead pixels nowadays).

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

1 minute ago, Emberstone said:

Good to have a full confirmation on overwatch and the screen looks great.

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

Don't mind that, I have ESDP + a lot of screwdrivers.  

What are your specs?

2617m, 8gb ram, 540m 2gb ddr3. 

the costs for battery + new fan were literally higher than my 2570p's entire cost so fuck it 

idk

$100 for a laptop that can do basic tasks, I think it’s going to do that well.

Just don’t expect to run many games. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

Good to have a full confirmation on overwatch and the screen looks great.

Yeah, you're far from Overwatch and games like it on the machine you're looking at.

My M15X has an i7-840QM quad core, 8GB of memory, and an ATi M-Radeon HD 5850.

But like I said, it'll do fine for old games, most indie games, and lighter modern titles like Minecraft.

Current Build:

Current Laptop: