Corsair SF 450 not working with Dell Studio 540s

comicsansms

I am really confused here.

My known working Dell Studio 540s motherboard, and my known working Corsair SF450 are not working together.

My SF450 happily powers my MSI B350M Mortar Arctic, and my Antec Earthwatts EA380 happily powers my Dell Studio 540S, but together (SF450 and Studio 540S) just don't.

Studio 540S posting with EA380

Spoiler

IMG20170819115313.thumb.jpg.14bb3865dc73e1abd7e9587b6df04fbe.jpg

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic posting with SF450

Spoiler

IMG20170819115440.thumb.jpg.c18732c7fafce6e1837b02ec50498e2b.jpg

Studio 540S not posting with SF450

Spoiler

IMG20170819115152.thumb.jpg.28c5a181146fe57d3307545fdb8aa830.jpg

Does the corsair supply have a PWR_GOOD pin? I know many OEM boards throw a fit if they don't get confirmation that the PSU is operating perfectly.

I had a similar issue with my HP XW4600s which had a really weird supply, needing the green wire pulled HIGH to +5vSB to turn it OFF. And they seemed to have odd timing on the PWR_GOOD, working with some supplies and rejecting others, even though they all worked

Stuff like that happens sometimes.

Nothing you can do about it. Maybe another SF450 might work, it might not.

I have something similar with one of my best motherboards and PSU: Corsair HX750i does NOT work with the Gigabyte X79-UD5. Nothing I can do about it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Does the corsair supply have a PWR_GOOD pin? I know many OEM boards throw a fit if they don't get confirmation that the PSU is operating perfectly.

Of course it has a PWR_GOOD pin.  That's part of the ATX standard.  It wouldn't work with any motherboard without one.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Of course it has a PWR_GOOD pin.  That's part of the ATX standard.  It wouldn't work with any motherboard without one.

I've seen many supplies without one. And many boards that don't care.

14 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

My known working Dell Studio 540s motherboard, and my known working Corsair SF450 are not working together.

Are you sure the PSU in the Dell is standard ATX pinout?  It's not unusual for Dell to have proprietary pinouts.  Do you still have the old PSU?  Did you check the voltages with a DMM?

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I've seen many supplies without one. And many boards that don't care.

Provide example.  I've been in the industry since before the ATX standard and have never seen an ATX PSU without the power good signal pin.  

PSUs often do not include the -5V pin as it was removed from the ATX spec.  But PWR_Good, aka PWR_OK is always pin 8 on the connector. 

+3.3V sense is also something a board can function without, but it is still in the ATX spec.

I think you're mixing the pins up.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Provide example.

PSUs often do not include the -5V pin as it was removed from the ATX spec.  But PWR_Good, aka PWR_OK is always pin 8 on the connector. 

+3.3V sense is also something a board can function without, but it is still in the ATX spec.

I think you're mixing the pins up.

I'd have to dig through my barrel of PSUs to find them, assuming I still have them. I own a lot of strange supplies.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'd have to dig through my barrel of PSUs to find them, assuming I still have them. I own a lot of strange supplies.

Go ahead and dig.  I've got time.

If they're specialty PSUs, they're not ATX.  In fact, it's not uncommon for a motherboard... even today... to not have a power good.  Some have single voltage and no standby even.  Take NUC and PIO, for example.  But they're not ATX.

We're talking about an ATX PSU made for ATX motherboards.  Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. will often use motherboards and power supplies that LOOK like ATX form factor, but are not and are actually proprietary.  But they're not ATX and don't follow the ATX standard even if they use similar looking connectors.

If the Dell Studio IS a standard ATX board and the pinout is correct, the problem could still be the PWR_OK signal, but not the lack of one.  ATX spec states that the T1 timing needs to be between 100ms and 500ms.  If the board is only looking for T1 up to 200ms, for example, and the PSU doesn't provide it until 300~500ms, then the board will just sit there and do nothing.

This is something that can happen even with brand name boards DIY like Gigabyte, Asus, etc., but typically only happens with the first couple BIOS revisions and is fixed in a reasonable amount of time with a new BIOS revision.  But Dell, HP, etc. never address these issues with new BIOS revisions because they don't expect their product to be used with "non-qualified" PSUs.  As long as THEIR motherboards work with THEIR power supplies, there is nothing wrong with their product.

49 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If they're specialty PSUs, they're not ATX.  In fact, it's not uncommon for a motherboard... even today... to not have a power good.  Some have single voltage and no standby even.  Take NUC and PIO, for example.  But they're not ATX.

We're talking about an ATX PSU made for ATX motherboards.  Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. will often use motherboards and power supplies that LOOK like ATX form factor, but are not and are actually proprietary.  But they're not ATX and don't follow the ATX standard even if they use similar looking connectors.

If the Dell Studio IS a standard ATX board and the pinout is correct, the problem could still be the PWR_OK signal, but not the lack of one.  ATX spec states that the T1 timing needs to be between 100ms and 500ms.  If the board is only looking for T1 up to 200ms, for example, and the PSU doesn't provide it until 300~500ms, then the board will just sit there and do nothing.

This is something that can happen even with brand name boards DIY like Gigabyte, Asus, etc., but typically only happens with the first couple BIOS revisions and is fixed in a reasonable amount of time with a new BIOS revision.  But Dell, HP, etc. never address these issues with new BIOS revisions because they don't expect their product to be used with "non-qualified" PSUs.  As long as THEIR motherboards work with THEIR power supplies, there is nothing wrong with their product.

I don't have the PSU that came with the machine, I got rid of it since I was using the Earthwatts with it and that was working fine. I might have a picture of it somewhere with a clear vision of the 24pin connector and it's pinout. Also, I do distinctly remember spending a while checking to see if the coloured wires matched up with any other ATX PSUs I had.

The PSU it had was some old Bestec TFX unit, even had "TFX" written in the part number. 

A quick Google says that the Dell 540 should be ATX compatible, not said by Dell employees, but said on the Dell forums, and their account has that fancy Dell Rockstar badge, so I'd assume they are correct since they didn't get corrected.

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19339379/19723180#19723180

With the Dell, the computer did have power going to it, the fans were running. Is that what you would expect from a PWR_OK issue?

Ah!  My bad for missing tthat fact that he Earth Watts worked.  Then it is a signal timing issue.  If you have one of those handheld PSU testers with the LCD display, you can see what the timing difference is between the two PSUs:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5B550P7139

Note the number in the upper-right of the display.

And yes... if the power good signal timing is off, the PSU and everything will power up, but the motherboard will not POST.  

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ah!  My bad for missing tthat fact that he Earth Watts worked.  Then it is a signal timing issue.  If you have one of those handheld PSU testers with the LCD display, you can see what the timing difference is between the two PSUs:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5B550P7139

Note the number in the upper-right of the display.

And yes... if the power good signal timing is off, the PSU and everything will power up, but the motherboard will not POST.  

Yeah, I cannot buy it from Newegg since I am from Australia.

Is this the same product http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282530099038? And, how accurate is the voltage readings from it (I needa get me one of them, they sound like hours of fun).

I believe you with the signal timing issue, that sounds like it makes sense and you are a reputable source.

I'm not telling you to buy it from Newegg.  I'm just using it for reference. 

The one on eBay is the same thing.  You could probably even find them in your local PC store.