Strange Wifi Card

NickB

Im taking appart a HP Envy Desktop to take the wifi card for my min PC. Why does it have wiring thats go to 2 strange antennas. 

1503107100762920420838.jpg

15031071381821972320160.jpg

Those are the actual Wifi antennae. Generally, high quality Wifi cards have antennae that are external to the card itself (and sometimes the device).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Those are the actual Wifi antennae. Generally, high quality Wifi cards have antennae that are external to the card itself (and sometimes the device).

If I put them on my custom build, where would I put these antennas? Theyre very fragile.

Those are just the external antennae for the wifi card, they route outside the case and probably under some thin plastic paneling to get you maximum connectivity. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, NickB said:

If I put them on my custom build, where would I put these antennas? Theyre very fragile.

Outside the case is the best option. They'll pick up noise from other components in the case and the case can work like an RF cage, limiting or disallowing connectivity range and/or throughput.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, NickB said:

You could feasibly put them anywhere, but if they are fragile enough that you might damage them simply by removing them or having them exposed, then it might be best to invest 25$ on a better wifi card :3

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

thats normal. like @Drak3 said, a lot of wifi cards have wifi antennae set up that way. especailly lower end prebuilts, and laptops as well(laptops actually have these wires running up by the display).

1 minute ago, NickB said:

best place would be the outside of the case, maybe taped onto the side or the top. however i would sugget getting a better wireless card that has normal external antennae

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

thats normal. like @Drak3 said, a lot of wifi cards have wifi antennae set up that way. especailly lower end prebuilts, and laptops as well(laptops actually have these wires running up by the display).

best place would be the outside of the case, maybe taped onto the side or the top. however i would sugget getting a better wireless card that has normal external antennae

6 minutes ago, Atmos said:

You could feasibly put them anywhere, but if they are fragile enough that you might damage them simply by removing them or having them exposed, then it might be best to invest 25$ on a better wifi card :3

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Outside the case is the best option. They'll pick up noise from other components in the case and the case can work like an RF cage, limiting or disallowing connectivity range and/or throughput.

Thanks for the info but I think it wont work. It was in a slot called PCIE-Mini and wont fit inside any PCIE. 

15031082532361431404966.jpg

1503108281742493376555.jpg

6 hours ago, NickB said:

Thanks for the info but I think it wont work. It was in a slot called PCIE-Mini and wont fit inside any PCIE. 

15031082532361431404966.jpg

1503108281742493376555.jpg

Not surprising it's something you normally find in laptops.

Just go to Amazon and get a tp-link Wi-Fi card for 15-20$

18 hours ago, NickB said:

12 hours ago, NLD1st said:

Not surprising it's something you normally find in laptops.

Just go to Amazon and get a tp-link Wi-Fi card for 15-20$

Or buy an adapter with built in external antenna: https://www.amazon.com/HOTER-Mini-Wireless-adapter-antenna/dp/B004TIK8UG