Surface 2 and the joining of Windows OS's?

I'm considering getting a Surface 2 (RT) for Christmas since it's pretty much the perfect tablet for my needs.

However, seeing all the more or less confirmed rumours about Microsoft wanting to either join Windows Phone and RT or ditch one of them (at least not have 3 OS's anymore) I'm a bit worried about the future of the Surface 2.

I have a Windows Phone 7.8 device and I'm worried if Microsoft will do it again and leave their 'early' (well, the Surface 2 is second gen) supporters behind in the dust of a huge and all-changing software update as it pretty much happened with Windows Phone 8.

Having the latest software is important to me as it both adds new features, improved security and functionality and renews the experience you have with the product. I would be really sad to be left behind with W8.1RT when/if a new and seriously changing update lands.

From a technical standpoint, is there anything that suggests that this is likely to happen with the Surface 2 RT?

Just get an Asus t100, it is cheaper then the surface pro, and runs full windows.

Also check out the hp omni 10. pretty much all these bay trail tablets will be much better then these rt tablets.

Just get an Asus t100, it is cheaper then the surface pro, and runs full windows.

Also check out the hp omni 10. pretty much all these bay trail tablets will be much better then these rt tablets.

Well yes, but the T100 doesn't have a kickstand and I want the stability of a tablet and would thus actually prefer RT.

I believe people are too quick to dismiss RT. I mean, exactly what kind of legacy programme that you can't live without are you going to run on your 10" Atom tablet anyway? Some people really need a laptop instead of a tablet that they want to be a laptop.  ;)

That, and I like free Office.

If you like free office, get the asus t100 it has a full copy of desktop office.  :)

I got the asus t100 so I could play steam games like half life 2, portal, and civ 5. I know that people say that bay trail cant run games, but all the source engine games run great. :D

Another reason why I got a t100 was price. At $349 with a keyboard, it blows away the surface 2, which is $449 without a keyboard. 

I mainly use the T100 as a tablet, however it is nice sometimes, how I can just go use the desktop version or install chrome and desktop apps.

In the end though it is up to you, I just think it would be better for you to get a t100 or an hp omni 10, because then you dont have to worry about if surface rt is going to be discontinued or not. 

Also, check out the new 8 inch tablets like the dell venue 8 pro, I dont have one but I heard they are great.

If you like free office, get the asus t100 it has a full copy of desktop office.  :)

I got the asus t100 so I could play steam games like half life 2, portal, and civ 5. I know that people say that bay trail cant run games, but all the source engine games run great. :D

Another reason why I got a t100 was price. At $349 with a keyboard, it blows away the surface 2, which is $449 without a keyboard. 

I mainly use the T100 as a tablet, however it is nice sometimes, how I can just go use the desktop version or install chrome and desktop apps.

In the end though it is up to you, I just think it would be better for you to get a t100 or an hp omni 10, because then you dont have to worry about if surface rt is going to be discontinued or not. 

Also, check out the new 8 inch tablets like the dell venue 8 pro, I dont have one but I heard they are great.

I appreciate it and I really have considered the T100 but for a few reasons I feel the Surface is better for my particular case. And the Surface is a higher quality device over all.

Also - and of course you have no way of knowing this - where I live the T100 costs the equivalent of 636 USD and the Surface 2 32 GB without a keyboard cover costs 619 USD.

Touché regarding Office. I had completely forgotten that. You are also right that with s full Windows 8.1 device there is no worrying what will happen to the software in the future. It's a stupid situation really because Microsoft wants to sell these tablets so bad and now the consumers have to worry what will happen in the future to their devices because of rumours and unclear statements that "we will not have 3 OS's in the future." I mean, come one Microsoft! -.-'

Well yes, but the T100 doesn't have a kickstand and I want the stability of a tablet and would thus actually prefer RT.

I believe people are too quick to dismiss RT. I mean, exactly what kind of legacy programme that you can't live without are you going to run on your 10" Atom tablet anyway? Some people really need a laptop instead of a tablet that they want to be a laptop. ;)

Please do NOT get a Surface.

I have the RT version (Version 1) and the sides are corroding.Not covered in warranty,and also invalidates the warranty.A few days after i used the sides discolors,and finally bumps start growing at the sides.My surface also have an overheat issue but they refuse to give help of exchange due to the rust.

I do not have a good enough camera to snap the dots,but the overheating issue:post-41033-0-69509300-1385894932.jpg

The top-middle-right of the surface becomes very hot,both in front and behind.Attaching heat-sinks,aluminum foil does not help.Needed a fan blowing towards it.Youtube videos will have bizarre graphics,and the entire windows will have graphics corruption(like having pink and green dots near black).

Please do not get the surface.It is a fail product full of cheapskate-ness.In fact it is a perfect example of what I consider as a low quality product.

Even an iPad mini is better than this pathetic thing.

Edit:See these white dots?Growing like weeds even after being covered in aluminum tape.I am not going to sand that surface of the surface again.

post-41033-0-80294700-1385895506.jpg

Please do NOT get a Surface.

I have the RT version (Version 1) and the sides are corroding.Not covered in warranty,and also invalidates the warranty.A few days after i used the sides discolors,and finally bumps start growing at the sides.My surface also have an overheat issue but they refuse to give help of exchange due to the rust.

I do not have a good enough camera to snap the dots,but the overheating issue:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The top-middle-right of the surface becomes very hot,both in front and behind.Attaching heat-sinks,aluminum foil does not help.Needed a fan blowing towards it.Youtube videos will have bizarre graphics,and the entire windows will have graphics corruption(like having pink and green dots near black).

Please do not get the surface.It is a fail product full of cheapskate-ness.In fact it is a perfect example of what I consider as a low quality product.

Even an iPad mini is better than this pathetic thing.

Edit:See these white dots?Growing like weeds even after being covered in aluminum tape.I am not going to sand that surface of the surface again.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow, that's really extreme. Are you it isn't just bad luck and a faulty model? I mean, no reviews I've read of either Surface models mention this, in fact they mention it as a quality product. I have heard of heat issues on Surface 2 but afaik Microsoft should be working on a fix.

I see you have the first Surface model. I was thinking about the Surface 2, and I believe over all improvements have been made to the quality of the product as well. I'm really sad to see you have these issues but especially the first picture looks like something is definitely wrong. If there is still time I would RMA it. :/ I mean no matter the quality, if a product does that on screen something is not as it's supposed to be.

About the "white dots", are you sure it isn't just dirt? Perhaps a bit of elbow grease...

@TheArium

Not really bad luck,some people on various forums have reported this.Some have it RMAed,but mine had the warranty void because of this for no reason.So I cannot RMA my Surface for overheating because it is corroding.

The surface of the surface have hard dots that can be scratched off with fingernails.The surface have a grey artifact after scratching off.The dots are a bit green too.

The material on the new one is the same,so I do not expect these corrosion problem to be fixed.