More than 50 pirate websites to be blocked in Australia within days

Allycat

Blocking something on the internet is such a waste of time, its like someone putting up a gate with a sign saying "no entry" but to the side of the gate is a path going round it..

Block something on the net and people will just make another way to do what they were doing before, if people want to pirate they will and you can't stop them unless you find a way of finding out who the pirates are (which is just as difficult). Ultimately the only way to prevent online piracy would be to shutdown the entire internet, which will never happen for multiple difference reasons that I could sit here and list for ages. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

13 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Blocking something on the internet is such a waste of time, its like someone putting up a gate with a sign saying "no entry" but to the side of the gate is a path going round it..

Block something on the net and people will just make another way to do what they were doing before, if people want to pirate they will and you can't stop them unless you find a way of finding out who the pirates are (which is just as difficult). Ultimately the only way to prevent online piracy would be to shutdown the entire internet, which will never happen for multiple difference reasons that I could sit here and list for ages. 

Apparently they blocked the Piratebay over here. But since I wasn't using Optus's DNS since it has server issues with latency+download speeds and Google DNS instead the block did nothing.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Apparently they blocked the Piratebay over here. But since I wasn't using Optus's DNS since it has server issues with latency+download speeds and Google DNS instead the block did nothing.

I think they use DNS blocking because it's the easiest way and the average person is not going to know how to change their DNS to get around it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

I think they use DNS blocking because it's the easiest way and the average person is not going to know how to change their DNS to get around it

I'd say it is more than the easiest: it's the one they have. Courts of country X can order ISPs from country X to do a DNS block, but beyond that... I mean, if a site is hosted in country X, then there's more to do, but sites can quickly reappear elsewhere.

At the end of the day it amounts to saying "close the gates"...

puertas-campo.jpg

We have had this shit happen here in the UK for years and its never worked. Anyone with half a brain will no how to avoid all the blocking measures easily. 

I will buy the DVDs of a series that I like like Frasier or Futurama but I'll still download the episodes in mp4 so I can put them on an SD card and onto my tablet, and on my laptop, so I can watch things away from my house, where there's no data, and unless I had unlimited 4g I wouldn't stream anything away from home anyway. Until I have unlimited 4g anywhere in the world at 100mb/s regardless of number of users I will not stop pirating TV shows. 

Why don't they just contact ICANN and have the domains removed?

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

1 minute ago, TheReal1980 said:

Why don't they just contact ICANN and have the domains removed?

Because domains can easily be put straight back up.

5 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Because domains can easily be put straight back up.

Google could just create a script that targets all sites that for example have a lot of popular movie names and uses torrent links and ban them by default.

The ultimate would be to just get a new law passed that says that anybody that puts up a domain for illegal use should be deamed a terrorist and will be dealt with accordingly, that would make people think twice.

2 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Google could just create a script that targets all sites that for example have a lot of popular movie names and uses torrent links and ban them by default.

Oh yes, because what we need is more automated Google crap that blocks things without any human oversight.  It's worked out so-o-o-o well for the Youtube demonetization system (that's sarcasm, by the way).

2 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

The ultimate would be to just get a new law passed that says that anybody that puts up a domain for illegal use should be deamed (sic) a terrorist and will be dealt with accordingly, that would make people think twice.

I really hope you're joking.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Oh yes, because what we need is more automated Google crap that blocks things without any human oversight.  It's worked out so-o-o-o well for the Youtube demonetization system (that's sarcasm, by the way).

I really hope you're joking.

Of course I am joking. Or am I? I am just trying to understand the psycopaths that are called politicians.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:35 AM, sazrocks said:

How are they planning to do this effectively? Also VPNs are a thing.

I'm calling bull on this. No way they would spend at least tens of thousands of dollars going after an individual who is costing them at most several hundred dollars by not paying.

They only need to sue say a couple 100 of them and have the media report on it. News would spread fast and people would get very cautious about it, especially the general public and non-techies who just download or stream by googling.

You don't need to stop all the pirates. If 50 percent of people would stop looking at the sites hosting those same sites get less revenue from ads and someone still gotta pay somehow since websites aren't free I'm sure it would have some impact. Also with Google blocking certain search results. Remember tech savvy people are in the minority and requiring someone to use a VPN will make illegal stuff hard enough to get access to so a lot of people will just not bother.

At least that's the way I see it.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

well its seems they have been blocked

did someone say VPN time?

10 minutes ago, perplex said:

What isp are you with? Nothings blocked for me.

Just now, JAKEBAB said:

What isp are you with? Nothings blocked for me.

Telstra Cable

1337x is still up, so maybe the missed that

2 minutes ago, perplex said:

Telstra Cable

1337x is still up, so maybe the missed that

Thought so. Torrent sites have been blocked on Telstra for awhile now but i was curious to see if they would block the streaming sites which you just confirmed they have lol. Good thing im not with Telstra.

Just now, JAKEBAB said:

Thought so. Torrent sites have been blocked on Telstra for awhile now but i was curious to see if they would block the streaming sites which you just confirmed they have lol. Good thing im not with Telstra.

only TPB was blocked

now eztv yify rarbg TD

Australia, isn't that where they sent the pirates for punishment back in the olden days? What a bunch of bloody wankers running their government. Here in the USA, since all content is affordable and easy to get, I don't have to resort to pirating.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

On 8/19/2017 at 2:13 AM, JAKEBAB said:

Wow, not only did we get a bs price hike on netflix that has far less content than pretty much anywhere else, we now are going to block any other options -_-

Australia - the land of no rights!

Using an illegal site to watch take revenue from Legitimate Creators? Not a right. Not even a privilege.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, perplex said:

You don't even need one to get around the block. Privacy wise however its not a bad idea. 

Just use this, because the "blocks" are pathetic: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You don't even need one to get around the block. Privacy wise however its not a bad idea. 

Just use this, because the "blocks" are pathetic: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

ROFl your right, just change the DNS and you can access them again....

1 minute ago, perplex said:

ROFl your right, just change the DNS and you can access them again....

Don't you just love people who have no clue at all about how the internet works trying to control it.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Don't you just love people who have no clue at all about how the internet works trying to control it.

lol yea

well it works on some, i still get " Access to this website has been disabled by an order of the Federal Court " ect on one but most of the ones that said "Your connection is not secure" work find with the DNS change

2 minutes ago, perplex said:

lol yea

well it works on some, i still get " Access to this website has been disabled by an order of the Federal Court " ect on some but the ones that said "Your connection is not secure" work find with the DNS change

Was it changed on just the router or your Ethernet/wifi adapter itself. And did you set the DNS for both IPV6 and IPV4? (eg. network connections>wifi properties>IPV4 or 6>use the following DNS). BTW I found that Google DNS drastically improved latency through Optus (something fishy was going on there) and reduced the amount of page loading errors with Telstra as well. Their DNS kind of sucks.

PMSL