More than 50 pirate websites to be blocked in Australia within days

Allycat

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/more-than-50-pirate-websites-to-be-blocked-in-australia-within-days/news-story/d049c070d9b0ef956dbdeb9e45d7ca4b

PIRATES, you have been warned.

More than 50 pirate websites — illegally sharing movies and TV shows — will be blocked in Australia within days.

And anti-copyright theft group Creative Content Australia went further and warned individual movie pirates would be next to face courts, with plans to sue any Australian who “continues to download pirated content”.

The move comes after the Federal Court ruled in favour of filmmakers and pay-TV provider Foxtel in two separate cases yesterday.

The targeted internet service providers have 15 days to disable access to the online locations found to have been engaging in or facilitating copyright infringement.

The two cases in NSW Federal Court, brought by Roadshow Films and Foxtel, which is jointly owned by Telstra and News Corp, ordered internet service providers to block access to 59 websites and 127 web domains delivering access to copyright-infringing material.

The sites include PrimeWire, MegaShare, EZTV, Limetorrents, Project Free TV, and Watch Series.

In his judgment, Federal Court Justice John Nicholas said some sites acknowledged they were sponsoring theft and even provided tutorials on how to “frustrate any legal action”, showing “flagrant and reflect a blatant disregard for the rights of copyright owners”.

Creative Content Australia chairman Graham Burke said the new judgments would mean a total of 65 piracy sites and 340 domains would be blocked in Australia, in what could prove a significant blow for online piracy.

“This is a historic moment for Australia to have what is effectively 95 per cent of the criminal trade blocked,” he said.

“It’s making it harder (to pirate shows) and way riskier.”

Mr Burke, who also serves as co-chief executive officer for Village Roadshow, said Creative Content Australia would also use the opportunity to launch the country’s biggest anti-piracy education campaign, including TV ads in which actor Bryan Brown highlighted piracy risks, such as malware and identity theft.

That's pretty stupid in my opinion. They should go after the websites, not block users from freely accessing the internet. If they are allowed to block pirate sites from the public, this could open up a gate way for more and more sites to be blocked. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

That's pretty stupid in my opinion. They should go after the websites, not block users from freely accessing the internet. If they are allowed to block pirate sites from the public, this could open up a gate way for more and more sites to be blocked. 

i agree, taking out the supply is far more effective. However this isn't a game they can ever win.

block a website, VPN or change the url/ip of website

take the website down, someone will open another

and the third option is they all move to tor.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

i agree, taking out the supply is far more effective. However this isn't a game they can ever win.

block a website, VPN or change the url/ip of website

take the website down, someone will open another

and the third option is they all move to tor.

Of course, pirates will always prevail, and this will only give them more publicity. 

(One great example being the tor Silk Road. It may have been shut down, and Ulbricht may have gone to prison, but countless more markets almost immediately popped up to fill the void). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Has any anti-piracy effort ever been successful?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

How are they planning to do this effectively? Also VPNs are a thing.

1 hour ago, Allycat said:

And anti-copyright theft group Creative Content Australia went further and warned individual movie pirates would be next to face courts, with plans to sue any Australian who “continues to download pirated content”.

I'm calling bull on this. No way they would spend at least tens of thousands of dollars going after an individual who is costing them at most several hundred dollars by not paying.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

well... isnt this just blatant cencur of the internet? nice. what you think are developed countries are now on the bandwagon. who knows where it will stop

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

the golden days for VPN providers

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well... isnt this just blatant cencur of the internet? nice. what you think are developed countries are now on the bandwagon. who knows where it will stop

Not really, what the sites are doing is illegal, and they can legally be blocked. Its just stupid to think that this will work to keep people from pirating.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

Not really, what the sites are doing is illegal, and they can legally be blocked. Its just stupid to think that this will work to keep people from pirating.

yah well once everyone stats to use VPNs they will go block all of those and so on. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah well once everyone stats to use VPNs they will go block all of those and so on. 

To that I say good luck

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Mostly streaming sites anyway.
Nothing of value lost. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

16 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

I agree. Kinda like how law enforcement agencies went after Pirate Bay

16 hours ago, Allycat said:

PIRATES, you have been warned.

I think few of the reasons why people pirate content are:

1. Geographical restrictions
  2. Price

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

As an Australian I have tried to do the right thing. Had foxtel and used the app on my TV for on  demand content but they only have 20% of it and missed episodes in  the current season.

Also 480p and 720p is it for streaming, apparently we only want to watch game of thrones as a blocky mess. 

Then I went Netflix content keeps disappearing new stuff gets added but when it's before the 90s and not content owned by foxtel. Better streaming quality just not that much content. 

The laws here around content rights is the issue. Till that is fixed you will need 6 different streaming subscriptions. I spent most my time trying to work out which streaming program I needed to search for what show. Who has the content rights for it.

I think people only pirate not because they don't want to pay for it. They just can't work out who has the rights to host it here. 

Let's face it go to any torrent sites all the shows appear in one search. 

I am sure if all content was hosted by one content provider we would buy a subscription. I want decent quality streaming and content.

Foxtel now I was very excited about since they were going to have 10,000+ on demand content. I launched national geographic and looked at all the content a total of 9 series.. Apparently that's all the content for the last 5 years.. They have the rights to the content yet fail to host the content they are the markers of their own problem. But yeah shut down torrent sites for providing a better service then they could ever. 

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

If its another DNS level block....PMSL

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The data shows that Australian's are willing to pay for content if it is reasonably priced, but the problem is, Netflix and the other streaming platforms don't have a full library, you have to rent all of them to get all of the content, and then you are probably still missing out on stuff you want.

Infact, Netflix was the 2nd most used paid-content media company in Australia in 2015, when Netflix did not exist in Australia in 2015, that shows how sad the state of the content delivery services are in Australia right there.

Also, I know that video is region locked, and one the points in that video is that region locking should be stopped, but other than that, it is a good video

9 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

They want to stop pirates? Stop charging us Australians an arm and a leg for everything. Easy way to stop pirates but they refuse to so yeah. We also can't rely on streaming sites like netflix all the time because alot of us want to watch in HD and most of Australia's internet is abysmal, right now im getting 6 down and i share with 4 other heavy internet users.

They can try to ban VPN's but i doubt they will anytime soon as Businesses that span internationally use them.

8 hours ago, sazrocks said:

How are they planning to do this effectively? Also VPNs are a thing.

I'm calling bull on this. No way they would spend at least tens of thousands of dollars going after an individual who is costing them at most several hundred dollars by not paying.

how would that even work when you can use an encrypted connection with p2p meaning they can see who you're downloading from and how much but not what.

so long near where I lived last year got a fine for illegally downloading content. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

10 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

stop making sense.

its just way easier to block sites and they think its doing something.

Like someone said above me... This is like the war on drugs. They are treating the symptoms, not the cause.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Wow, not only did we get a bs price hike on netflix that has far less content than pretty much anywhere else, we now are going to block any other options -_-

Australia - the land of no rights!