Help turn a popularity contest into a content-based contest

Greetings,

TL;DR : #LGUltraWideFestival is a popularity contest, so help fix it using some of my suggestions below. (See what I did there?)

As some of you may be aware, a video based competition was announced on LTT  youtube channel about a week and a half ago, #LGUltraWideFestival. It opened to submissions on Monday. Upon reading the FAQ for the competition, I was saddened to see that progression past the first level of the competition is entirely dependent on the number of likes a Youtube (or Facebook) video received, as what this means is that only those who have pre-existing channels, or are very active on social media, stand much of a chance of succeeding in the competition, regardless of the quality of their entry. 

So I urge you to help change this by spending a little bit of your time acting as a competition judge would. Go to youtube/facebook/instagram and do some searching by means other than highest number of views. You could see if any playlists have been created, take a look at the most recent submissions, or scroll to the bottom of the search results, pick a random page and then a random entry. 

What's more, if you are going to help turn this into a video contest instead of popularity contest, I suggest reserving any likes until after you have viewed several videos and then going back and giving a like only to the top 3 (or more if you watched more videos). If you find a video that you think deserves more attention than it has received, it isn't difficult to share the video link to your social media outlet of choice, and help the person who is likely suffering only from a lack of social media influence with a little bit of yours.

-Taylor Reid

Disclaimer:

Yes, I have entered a video into the contest. 

Yes, I don't have much social media influence. 

Yes, I think my entry is top tier, but still has little chance of success.

No, I'm not providing you with a link to my entry, what I want is for you to contribute an voice in judging the entries as unbiased by current view-count and as influenced by the content (be it creativity, style, quality or what have you) of the video as you possibly can. 

Have people found any favorites they think other people should check out? No posting your own videos! 

EDIT: Actually, I don't think we are supposed to post links to non LTT material on this forum, so scratch that... 

Just go look for good videos on your own. Maybe just writing the title is OK, but try not to self promote. This is about finding hidden gems, not throwing your gems at peoples faces. :)

I can already see this thread becoming exactly the opposite of your post.

It will shortly be people posting their videos with a "have a look at mine if you want" comment.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

9 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

It will shortly be people posting their videos with a "have a look at mine if you want" comment.

what if I post a video of the ultrawide that I already own? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Change the OP to make sure people show off other guy's videos, not their own. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 18/08/2017 at 4:15 PM, Taylor Reid said:

Greetings,

TL;DR : #LGUltraWideFestival is a popularity contest, so help fix it using some of my suggestions below. (See what I did there?)

As some of you may be aware, a video based competition was announced on LTT  youtube channel about a week and a half ago, #LGUltraWideFestival. It opened to submissions on Monday. Upon reading the FAQ for the competition, I was saddened to see that progression past the first level of the competition is entirely dependent on the number of likes a Youtube (or Facebook) video received, as what this means is that only those who have pre-existing channels, or are very active on social media, stand much of a chance of succeeding in the competition, regardless of the quality of their entry. 

So I urge you to help change this by spending a little bit of your time acting as a competition judge would. Go to youtube/facebook/instagram and do some searching by means other than highest number of views. You could see if any playlists have been created, take a look at the most recent submissions, or scroll to the bottom of the search results, pick a random page and then a random entry. 

What's more, if you are going to help turn this into a video contest instead of popularity contest, I suggest reserving any likes until after you have viewed several videos and then going back and giving a like only to the top 3 (or more if you watched more videos). If you find a video that you think deserves more attention than it has received, it isn't difficult to share the video link to your social media outlet of choice, and help the person who is likely suffering only from a lack of social media influence with a little bit of yours.

-Taylor Reid

Disclaimer:

Yes, I have entered a video into the contest. 

Yes, I don't have much social media influence. 

Yes, I think my entry is top tier, but still has little chance of success.

No, I'm not providing you with a link to my entry, what I want is for you to contribute an voice in judging the entries as unbiased by current view-count and as influenced by the content (be it creativity, style, quality or what have you) of the video as you possibly can. 

Good idea, but you should ask people to NOT post their own videos. Granted, we'd have to use Scouts Honour, but we already have one person basically trying to enhance their chance of winning (I don't blame them) by posting it here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Yes, I see the problem now... Not to mention I don't think any actual links to youtube are supposed to be posted in this forum, as that is against the code of conduct or whatever... 

8 minutes ago, Taylor Reid said:

Yes, I see the problem now... Not to mention I don't think any actual links to youtube are supposed to be posted in this forum, as that is against the code of conduct or whatever... 

Not inherently. You're not allowed to self-advertise. What that means is you cannot link your own videos into a thread. You can however post them in Status Update and in your signature, I believe.

You can link other videos that you have no affiliation with. For example, when a new Last Jedi trailer is released, I can post a link to that in the Off Topic forum, without fear of breaking the rules.

In this context, you could (or I could) post a link to a YT Playlist of a bunch of the LG Contest entries, so long as either it did not contain your video, or your video was one among many and you didn't say which one was yours (and it wasn't super obvious, like your LTT username being the same as your YT Channel name).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Not inherently. You're not allowed to self-advertise. What that means is you cannot link your own videos into a thread. You can however post them in Status Update and in your signature, I believe.

I don't think that rule is that heavily enforced.

I have at several points linked my own videos and never gotten in trouble for it. It seems to depend on how you do it. It is very transparent when someone posts a video because they want more views compared to when someone posts a video because it will actually help with the thread (such as showing an issue or solution).

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think that rule is that heavily enforced.

I have at several points linked my own videos and never gotten in trouble for it. It seems to depend on how you do it. It is very transparent when someone posts a video because they want more views compared to when someone posts a video because it will actually help with the thread (such as showing an issue or solution).

Fair enough - there are lots of rules that aren't necessarily strictly enforced, and I think that's a good thing.

We should be honouring the spirit of the rules, not strictly enforcing them without looking at the context. That also helps to keep the rules simple, because the old CoC had gotten extremely bloated by trying to add new rules every time a new situation came up.

However, the rules need to be clear enough that it's obvious that someone broke a rule and why that was bad.