Windows xp unresponsive with keyboard and mouse support

I have had this computer for awhile, since 2005. It had worked perfectly till suddenly one day, the windows xp user menu would not support my keyboard and mouse. I know it's not the keyboard or mouse do to both working in bios, but for some reason will not work past the bios menu after windows launch. Why is this happening?

8 minutes ago, Mike Cole said:

I have had this computer for awhile, since 2005. It had worked perfectly till suddenly one day, the windows xp user menu would not support my keyboard and mouse. I know it's not the keyboard or mouse do to both working in bios, but for some reason will not work past the bios menu after windows launch. Why is this happening?

Possibly the windows drivers.  Did they stop working after some sort of update?  During the boot into bios process they are using the drivers built in to the motherboard but once that process is complete and it goes into the Windoze boot process they switch over to the drivers built into windows.  And since Mickeysoft doesn't support XP any longer you may need to try and download drivers specifically for XP.  Just my humble thoughts.  Good Luck. 

possibly a driver problem. 

and why do you still use windows XP in 2017 ? (if it's not a dedicated retro pc)

2 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Possibly the windows drivers.  Did they stop working after some sort of update?  During the boot into bios process they are using the drivers built in to the motherboard but once that process is complete and it goes into the Windoze boot process they switch over to the drivers built into windows.  And since Mickeysoft doesn't support XP any longer you may need to try and download drivers specifically for XP.  Just my humble thoughts.  Good Luck. 

Ya I knew about Xp no longer being supported. I was thinking on trying a newer Os. Maybe windows 7. Thanks for the tip. It was super helpful!

2 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

possibly a driver problem. 

and why do you still use windows XP in 2017 ? (if it's not a dedicated retro pc)

I didn't know that the bios and windows ran separate drivers so I'm going to have to manually update. It's old but it's still got some life in it.