Noctua D15 out performs Corsair H75 & NZXT x41 AIO's???

Gerr

I have an i7-4790K and had it OC'ed to 4.6Ghz using a Noctua D15 air cooler.  I decided it was time to make the jump to AIO's, so sold that cooler and bought a Corsair H75.  Well I was only able to get to 4.4Ghz on the i7 with this AIO as it would run too hot to go higher.  I then replaced the H75 with an NZXT x41 and added a 2nd 140mm fan for push/pull.  That allowed me to get up to 4.5Ghz, but it almost runs too hot for my comfort level.

It just amazes me that the Noctua D15 outperforms both of these AIO's.  I have not tried a 240mm AIO as I am planning on selling this system, so not worth the investment.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?

9 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I have an i7-4790K and had it OC'ed to 4.6Ghz using a Noctua D15 air cooler.  I decided it was time to make the jump to AIO's, so sold that cooler and bought a Corsair H75.  Well I was only able to get to 4.4Ghz on the i7 with this AIO as it would run too hot to go higher.  I then replaced the H75 with an NZXT x41 and added a 2nd 140mm fan for push/pull.  That allowed me to get up to 4.5Ghz, but it almost runs too hot for my comfort level.

It just amazes me that the Noctua D15 outperforms both of these AIO's.  I have not tried a 240mm AIO as I am planning on selling this system, so not worth the investment.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?

iirc the d15 is on par with 240/280mm radiators and single fan rads are not the best for heavy ocing

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, Gerr said:

A high-end cooler, like the NH-D15, will outperform most 120mm and 140mm AIO's.

AIO's start to break even, or pull ahead, once you get into the 240mm, 280mm, or larger range.

A corsair H75 won't be better -- you are looking at something like the Corsair H105 or H110.

Even those, may only be a few degrees Celsius of improvement. 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d15_review,10.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15/6.html

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

the NH-D15 beats sevral 240mm AIOs  while being quieter, this is why i dont think AIOs are something you buy for anything beyond a GPU maybe

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Things like the NH-D15 and bequiet's DRP3 will outperform all 120/140mm AIOs unless they're particularly thick. They're generally on par with standard 240mm AIOs. 

AIOs tend to look a lot more serious and most will assume they're better than regular air cooling, but when you consider the actual surface area on a cooler as large as the NH-D15, it's not surprising they're on par with 240mm AIOs. 

8 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Yes. That was a straight downgrade. 

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

the NH-D15 beats sevral 240mm AIOs  while being quieter, this is why i dont think AIOs are something you buy for anything beyond a GPU maybe

They can be useful for SFF builds as they remove the need to have a massive block right above the CPU. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

They can be useful for SFF builds as they remove the need to have a massive block right above the CPU. 

oh yah thats another thing i guess, still dont agree with buying them much though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I have a H100i v2 for a 7700k. I think it does a pretty decent job but ambient temperatures are also a thing here so the cold air in my room helps out quite a bit.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Easy way to look at it: what is the effective heat transfer volume to the air? The D15 is quite big. Smaller rads wont have a chance against it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

have you seen the surface area of D15?

6313_26_noctua_nh_d15_cpu_cooler_review.

it's pretty much the surface area of a 240mm rad if not bigger

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

The x41 is a 38mm thick 140mm AIO, which is about 50% thicker than a standard AIO.  Taking the 140mm area, adding 50%, that's the equiv of a 210mm area, which is just behind a normal 240mm AIO.  Considering that NZXT makes some high quality AIO's, and that I have added a 2nd fan to it for push/pull, yes, I would expect this AIO to match the performance of most low-mid level 240mm AIO's only falling short of the top ones.  Sadly, it's actual performance doesn't appear to be what I had thought it would.

adding thickness doesnt work the same as you think it does.  that extra thickness maybe adds 5% until you reach the point where its heat soaked and then its downhill from there. 

1 hour ago, Prokart2000 said:

iirc the d15 is on par with 240/280mm radiators and single fan rads are not the best for heavy ocing

Agreed here's my experience.

Previous rig was a i7 5820K with a 4.3ghz OC and a 280mm rad regularly hit around 35 C idle and 65-67C under load pretty decent.

Current rig with D15.  Ryzen 1800X. 3.9ghz oc idle is 37-42C and 65-68C with less noise.

Not necessarily apples to apples but the cooler does do well.

Would a Corsair H100 (original, not an "i" version) be an upgrade?  I can get my hands on a NOS one for fairly cheap and could replace the fans with better ones.

19 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Would a Corsair H100 (original, not an "i" version) be an upgrade?  I can get my hands on a NOS one for fairly cheap and could replace the fans with better ones.

Not sure if there is much of a difference between the i and the original but yes a H100 with better fans will do just fine especially in the noise department the stock corsair ones are loud as hell.

20 hours ago, Gerr said:

Big mistake from that point on. I take you haven't looked any reviews on D15 or the AIOs. 120/140mm AIOs are at same performance level with higher quality 140mm single tower air coolers. Like U14S and Dark Rock 3.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

It has been known since D15 came that it would be better than previous version, D14. Which already beat any small AIO and some early bigger ones.

17 hours ago, Gerr said:

No. D15 is still better. Here are few recent AIO reviews so you can see which AIOs actually beat D15 and how much. Ofc results would vary a bit depending on situation.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7277/corsair-hydro-h100i-gtx-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h100i_gtx_review,10.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h100i_gtx_review,11.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7320/corsair-hydro-h110i-gtx-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

By the way, those Tweaktown reviews show the NZXT x41 doing BETTER than the Noctua D15.

19 hours ago, Gerr said:

By the way, those Tweaktown reviews show the NZXT x41 doing BETTER than the Noctua D15.

Marginally, but true. 0.5C worse on stock clocks, under 1C better with OC. You asked if it would be upgrade. I wouldn't call it that. You end up with more noise and more spend money for no improvement.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I bought a cheap refurbished H110i GTX off eBay which will hopefully cool better.  Plus that allows me to save the x41 for it's original use, to cool my GTX 1080 FTW2 using the NZXT G12.

10 hours ago, Gerr said:

I bought a cheap refurbished H110i GTX off eBay which will hopefully cool better.  Plus that allows me to save the x41 for it's original use, to cool my GTX 1080 FTW2 using the NZXT G12.

It's definitely better than the H75 but still pretty similar to the NH-D15.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If it matches the performance of the D15, then maybe I can get back to 4.6Ghz, or at least an acceptable 4.5Ghz.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:08 PM, Gerr said:

It should be worse at equivalent noise levels, which is the fair comparison (though this not directly tested in that review). A lot of the AIOs can win or be competitive but only by really cranking fan speed.

Some of the better 280mm rads are closer to and might overtake the top air coolers at equivalent noise levels on high heat loads.

AIO has the advantage when using larger rads because of the bigger surface that allows for heat to be dissipated.
High-end air cooler have the advantage with 2 fans over 120/140 rads.