How does soldering battery works?

Tom is a Door

I was thinking about saving up some money to solder the leads of a battery and join it with leads from another to boost battery life. I was planning on taking the positive and negative lead wires and stripping them then solder battery 2's positive and negative to the corresponding stripped leads. I will be using same or +/- 0.1 volt different battery. I have never soldered nor do I know jack squat about electronic engineering. So, I was wondering how practical it is and the dangers of it. I wanted to do this on a handheld device with lithium ion battery.

Heat + Lithium batteries isn't very good. What device?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

I was thinking about saving up some money to solder the leads of a battery and join it with leads from another to boost battery life. I was planning on taking the positive and negative lead wires and stripping them then solder battery 2's positive and negative to the corresponding stripped leads. I will be using same or +/- 0.1 volt different battery. I have never soldered nor do I know jack squat about electronic engineering. So, I was wondering how practical it is and the dangers of it. I wanted to do this on a handheld device with lithium ion battery.

Handheld device like a phone or tablet? or something a bit simpler?

Side note: My real name is Tom. I am definitely not a Door

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

I have never soldered nor do I know jack squat about electronic engineering

Just dont do it man, this could be EXTREMELY dangerous even if you know what your doing... just buy a battery with more milliamps (mA) than your current one if you want the battery to last longer

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

If you have two batteries of the same voltage and type (li-ion in your case) you can connect them in parallel quite safely. They will balance on their own. Just make sure you connect them positive to positive and negative to negative. And preferrably have them charged to the same voltage when connecting them together to avoid high current flow.

It's not a good idea to solder wires to batteries. You spot weld metal strips to the terminals of batteries, Spot welding ... an electric charge is released for a very short period of time, where the metals touch they heat and melt and join together creating good connection.

for more research see:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/battery-tag-welder-from-china/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/sunkko-709a-spot-welder-teardown/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/spot-welding-theory-of-operation/

Sure if you're careful you can still solder wires to batteries the regular way, trick is using lots of liquid flux and right amount of temperature on tip and short solder times so you don't overheat battery.

Alternatively, you could just tape the wires to the battery via Electrical tape.

16 hours ago, mariushm said:

Sure if you're careful you can still solder wires to batteries the regular way, trick is using lots of liquid flux and right amount of temperature on tip and short solder times so you don't overheat battery.

And, before soldering, scratching the coating away so the solder takes immediately. Otherwise you'll be heating the battery way too long as the solder does not take well.