Project Aura

AliceSML79

Noticed a lot people recommending a tempered glass case. I admit they are sexy but I have a cat that knocks things over. Over the years I have had to throw away a lot nice former glass furniture because cat knocked something over and hit the glass. So u can see why I’m leaning towards the the phanteks enthoo luxe with acrylic window. It’s ASUS Aura compatible with a $5 acessry cable. It also has the 5.25 bays I need for my ROG Front Base. So it makes picking cases kinda slim for my needs and wants.

Just wanted to add a photo of the parts I have gathered so far. ROG Front Base is missing it’s cables but mod right sells a custom sleeved replacement I plan to get. Lot these parts I got second hand or NIB. All combined I’m in about $150 mainly because when I got sad card and reader was a year ago, just repurposeing them.

IMG_0008.JPG

Is my build to overkill for what I want to do?

id like to encode video, do streaming while gaming in cpu intense game. I run my games in ultra settings.

want to run crossfire or sli 

nvme boot, ssd steam/games, and mass storage for projects drives 

id like to run aura compatible parts just for eye candy

i also plan to run separate capture and playback 4K cards by Blackmagic 

thanks in advance.

Sure it's overkill. But any build with a window is technically overkill. :)

Did you give any thought to getting a 2TB 960 Pro and eliminating the SATA ssd?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 hours ago, brob said:

Sure it's overkill. But any build with a window is technically overkill. :)

Did you give any thought to getting a 2TB 960 Pro and eliminating the SATA ssd?

I had thought about it but wasn’t sure if the cost would equal out but it make installing games a lot easier 

27 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

I had thought about it but wasn’t sure if the cost would equal out but it make installing games a lot easier 

True, it would add to the cost. On the other hand, it would simplify the storage and provide excellent performance.

22 hours ago, brob said:

True, it would add to the cost. On the other hand, it would simplify the storage and provide excellent performance.

That’s very true and leaves SATA ports for future mass storage upgrades too. Creating 4K content will definitely eat up space. I do wonder if something like a drobo 8 drive solution be a better option?

16 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

That’s very true and leaves SATA ports for future mass storage upgrades too. Creating 4K content will definitely eat up space. I do wonder if something like a drobo 8 drive solution be a better option?

Depends a bit on how often the content will be accessed. If the material is mostly stored and only occasionally read, using large drives is a simpler and less expensive solution. (I'm presuming that there will also be regular backups made.)

1 hour ago, brob said:

Depends a bit on how often the content will be accessed. If the material is mostly stored and only occasionally read, using large drives is a simpler and less expensive solution. (I'm presuming that there will also be regular backups made.)

Yes I plan to do monthly backups. Id store creation content and content sources in mass storage drives. I’m thinking about a second nvme drive for holding content tempRrly as it is being worked on.

1 minute ago, AliceSML79 said:

Yes I plan to do monthly backups. Id store creation content and content sources in mass storage drives. I’m thinking about a second nvme drive for holding content tempRrly as it is being worked on.

If you got a 2TB NVMe drive would active projects not fit on it?

I’m not sure actually. Raw 4K is massive files but if u think a single 2tb would be enough that be awesome 

I woke up this morning and was wondering if x399 and cross fire Vega 64 or x299 and single 180ti is a better setup with what I’m planning with 4K production, streaming while gaming is a better platform. I know x299 has less pcie lanes so I’d go one high end card and capture playback cards. With x399  having more pcie lanes id add cross fire in the mix.

thanks in advance,

1 hour ago, AliceSML79 said:

I woke up this morning and was wondering if x399 and cross fire Vega 64 or x299 and single 180ti is a better setup with what I’m planning with 4K production, streaming while gaming is a better platform. I know x299 has less pcie lanes so I’d go one high end card and capture playback cards. With x399  having more pcie lanes id add cross fire in the mix.

thanks in advance,

Raw 4K footage is about 400GB/hour @ 25fps. 

Both platforms are a bit too new to have solid data available. Gaming at higher resolutions TR-1950X appears to be as good as i9-7900X. But the i9 has significantly better single core performance and overall a better IPC. Both X299 with i9 cpu and X399 with Threadripper cpu have very similar PCIe 3.0 lane counts. The difference lies in the number directly supported by the cpu. Threadripper cpu directly support 60 lanes, while i9 support 44. The X399 chipset supports an additional 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes while the X299 chipset supports 24.

Both X299 and X399 motherboards support 4-way SLI and Crossfire. X299 motherboards do not offer 16 PCIe lanes to each gpu, but to date I have not seen data to suggest that any gaming title saturates an 8 lane connection.

Regardless of platform, I suspect a single GTX 1080 Ti would be a better configuration. 

9 hours ago, brob said:

Raw 4K footage is about 400GB/hour @ 25fps. 

Both platforms are a bit too new to have solid data available. Gaming at higher resolutions TR-1950X appears to be as good as i9-7900X. But the i9 has significantly better single core performance and overall a better IPC. Both X299 with i9 cpu and X399 with Threadripper cpu have very similar PCIe 3.0 lane counts. The difference lies in the number directly supported by the cpu. Threadripper cpu directly support 60 lanes, while i9 support 44. The X399 chipset supports an additional 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes while the X299 chipset supports 24.

Both X299 and X399 motherboards support 4-way SLI and Crossfire. X299 motherboards do not offer 16 PCIe lanes to each gpu, but to date I have not seen data to suggest that any gaming title saturates an 8 lane connection.

Regardless of platform, I suspect a single GTX 1080 Ti would be a better configuration. 

Thanks so much. From what I been seeing advice wise for my needs is a TR-1950X and 1080ti with my dual Blackmagic cards may be my best options.

2 hours ago, AliceSML79 said:

Thanks so much. From what I been seeing advice wise for my needs is a TR-1950X and 1080ti with my dual Blackmagic cards may be my best options.

It will certainly be a wicked system :).

3 hours ago, brob said:

It will certainly be a wicked system :).

I certainly hope so

I'm hoping to piggy back off this thread rather than start a new one. I have tangential question related to the OP. 

So, if I was to build a machine with:

-Ryzen or Threadripper CPU
-x370 chipset (max x8/x8)
-Blackmagic Design Decklink (PCIe 2.0 x4. I need the SDI output). 
-a 1070 or 1080 Ti for the CUDA
-32 GB RAM
-Samsung 960 Pro

for a workstation handling
-DaVinci Resolve, mostly 1080p but I would like the ability to grade/edit 4k
-After Effects
-Blender

I shouldn't notice a huge difference from an Intel build capable of x16/x16? There would be more storage than what's listed, ofc. I'm mostly wondering about how Ryzen's x8/x8 max affects pairing a GTX and DeckLink for production. I'm very new to all this. 

Gaming is nice but I'm more worried about color grading, editing, and visual effects. 

I'm trying to balance CPU and GPU performance for different tasks without spending more than I have to. Ryzen seems exciting, but I'm disappointed it won't handle x16/x4, but after reading this I'm wondering if it would even matter. 

I don't even know what a realistic budget would be for a machine to do what i want to, all my PCPartlists hover between $3-4k USD. 

Thanks. Sorry if this is inappropriate place to ask this. 

2 hours ago, idkanythingatall said:

I'm hoping to piggy back off this thread rather than start a new one. I have tangential question related to the OP. 

So, if I was to build a machine with:

-Ryzen or Threadripper CPU
-x370 chipset (max x8/x8)
-Blackmagic Design Decklink (PCIe 2.0 x4. I need the SDI output). 
-a 1070 or 1080 Ti for the CUDA
-32 GB RAM
-Samsung 960 Pro

for a workstation handling
-DaVinci Resolve, mostly 1080p but I would like the ability to grade/edit 4k
-After Effects
-Blender

I shouldn't notice a huge difference from an Intel build capable of x16/x16? There would be more storage than what's listed, ofc. I'm mostly wondering about how Ryzen's x8/x8 max affects pairing a GTX and DeckLink for production. I'm very new to all this. 

Gaming is nice but I'm more worried about color grading, editing, and visual effects. 

I'm trying to balance CPU and GPU performance for different tasks without spending more than I have to. Ryzen seems exciting, but I'm disappointed it won't handle x16/x4, but after reading this I'm wondering if it would even matter. 

I don't even know what a realistic budget would be for a machine to do what i want to, all my PCPartlists hover between $3-4k USD. 

Thanks. Sorry if this is inappropriate place to ask this. 

Threadripper uses X399 motherboards with the TR4 socket.

Intel cpu have higher IPC. Ryzen cpu do not outperform same core/thread/speed Intel cpu.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2017-2-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Kaby-Lake-Ryzen-7-977/ may answer your questions as they relate to AfterEffects.

Resolve is more sensitive to gpu power. But more cpu power is generally a good idea.

Start a new thread if you really want to explore the topic.