Questions about HDR

defcat4

What's the difference between hdr 10 and 10 bit color depth? hdr10 shows 10 bit images, yet i'm not hearing that hdr10 means 10 bit color depth, as in, an hdr10 display can have 10 bit color depth, but doesn't have to. They're separate things.

I'm also hearing that some tvs have the hdr10 feature, but lack some functions such as "wide color gamut", and therefore cannot display it properly.

Can anyone clarify?

55 minutes ago, defcat4 said:

What's the difference between hdr 10 and 10 bit color depth? hdr10 shows 10 bit images, yet i'm not hearing that hdr10 means 10 bit color depth, as in, an hdr10 display can have 10 bit color depth, but doesn't have to. They're separate things.

I'm also hearing that some tvs have the hdr10 feature, but lack some functions such as "wide color gamut", and therefore cannot display it properly.

Can anyone clarify?

HDR10 is a standard, not a spec. The HDR10 standard requires displays to have several capabilities, including the actual HDR part, plus some other things like 10 bpc color depth and recognition of certain color spaces. Color depth isn't related to HDR, it's just an additional requirement that that particular standard requires displays to have, in addition to the HDR capability also required by the standard.

The actual HDR part of the HDR10 standard is some specific brightness/contrast capabilities and a special gamma function to properly utilize it.