New monitor for a gtx 1070 setup

YenteDS

hey guys, i'm checking around to buy a new monitor for my gaming setup with a gtx 1070.

I've been reading the forum and can't seem to get a clear opinion. I want a monitor that takes full advantage of my 1070's capabilities. so should i go with a 1080p 144hz g-sync or with a 1440p 144hz g-sync? i know i can't expect 100+ fps on a 1440p monitor with my gpu. Yet if the gameplay will be smooth  enough at maxxed or high settings that would be ok for me since i can always upgrade my gpu or go sli with it. 

the 2 monitors i currently got a price estimate on are these 2:

acer predator xb241h (144-165hz g-sync 1080p) for 325€.

Dell s2716DG (144hz 1440p g-sync) for 588€.

i don't mind spending 600-700€ but it has to be worth it. so if anyone has a better suggestion i am open for it. i don't care about the aesthetics of the monitor and it's bezel etc so i'm not willing to pay more just for the look of it.

thanks in advance!

Yente

10 minutes ago, YenteDS said:

hey guys, i'm checking around to buy a new monitor for my gaming setup with a gtx 1070.

I've been reading the forum and can't seem to get a clear opinion. I want a monitor that takes full advantage of my 1070's capabilities. so should i go with a 1080p 144hz g-sync or with a 1440p 144hz g-sync? i know i can't expect 100+ fps on a 1440p monitor with my gpu. Yet if the gameplay will be smooth  enough at maxxed or high settings that would be ok for me since i can always upgrade my gpu or go sli with it. 

the 2 monitors i currently got a price estimate on are these 2:

acer predator xb241h (144-165hz g-sync 1080p) for 325€.

Dell s2716DG (144hz 1440p g-sync) for 588€.

i don't mind spending 600-700€ but it has to be worth it. so if anyone has a better suggestion i am open for it. i don't care about the aesthetics of the monitor and it's bezel etc so i'm not willing to pay more just for the look of it.

thanks in advance!

Yente

I personally used the Dell S2417DG with my GTX 1070, and it was perfectly capable of driving high refresh rates (160fps) in your traditional competitive shooters (overwatch, unreal/quake, CS:GO, etc) while still hitting very respectable 100-120 framerates in AAA RPG's after slight setting tweaks (Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Tomb Raider). 

Being 24 inches at 1440p, it's super sharp, and viewing angles are not bad at all for it being a TN panel. I'd say it's the highest end TN panel I have ever seen, and this is coming from a man that normally uses Samsung PLS panels. No backlight bleed, a nice 165hz refresh rate, and the best part? I got it for $400 flat. My brother just bought the exact same panel for $318 after applying discounts. I would check to see what the price of the S2417DG is in your country, and see how well it compares to your other options.

If you want an IPS panel, be aware that you have to play the "AUO lottery", which is where the IPS panels suffer from terrible color uniformity issues, and you need to either be lucky ,or constantly swap the monitors out until you get one that is fine. There are threads on the OCN forums discussing specific brands and revisions to AUO panels that do better than others in this regard, so I suggest checking them out if you do need IPS for color accuracy. Just understand, backlight bleed (IPS Glow) are a part of the game with those panels, and you simply can't avoid it like you can with these higher end TN panels. For strictly gaming, I doubt they can be beat. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention, like the S2716DG, it comes with G-Sync as well. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

10 hours ago, MageTank said:

I personally used the Dell S2417DG with my GTX 1070, and it was perfectly capable of driving high refresh rates (160fps) in your traditional competitive shooters (overwatch, unreal/quake, CS:GO, etc) while still hitting very respectable 100-120 framerates in AAA RPG's after slight setting tweaks (Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Tomb Raider). 

Being 24 inches at 1440p, it's super sharp, and viewing angles are not bad at all for it being a TN panel. I'd say it's the highest end TN panel I have ever seen, and this is coming from a man that normally uses Samsung PLS panels. No backlight bleed, a nice 165hz refresh rate, and the best part? I got it for $400 flat. My brother just bought the exact same panel for $318 after applying discounts. I would check to see what the price of the S2417DG is in your country, and see how well it compares to your other options.

If you want an IPS panel, be aware that you have to play the "AUO lottery", which is where the IPS panels suffer from terrible color uniformity issues, and you need to either be lucky ,or constantly swap the monitors out until you get one that is fine. There are threads on the OCN forums discussing specific brands and revisions to AUO panels that do better than others in this regard, so I suggest checking them out if you do need IPS for color accuracy. Just understand, backlight bleed (IPS Glow) are a part of the game with those panels, and you simply can't avoid it like you can with these higher end TN panels. For strictly gaming, I doubt they can be beat. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention, like the S2716DG, it comes with G-Sync as well. 

Thanks for your reply, i don't really need an IPS panel. never had one so can't say that i want one. as far as the S2416dg goes. i can't find any shop in my country that sells it :( seems to be the problem with many monitors. what would be the main difference between the 27 and 24 inch one? does it ask even more from my gpu if it's a 27? or would i get the same results as you had if i bought the 27 inch. 

edit:

actually found a shop that sells it.. it's a decent amount cheaper indeed.. 1440p on 24 inch looks sweet aswell or?

Again , thanks for your extensive reply!

Greets

Yente

Edited by YenteDS
actually found a shop after my post

11 hours ago, YenteDS said:

i know i can't expect 100+ fps on a 1440p monitor with my gpu

Personal opinion: Go with 1440p 144Hz G-Sync and 27" if possible.

I own the Asus Rog Swift PG279Q and I use an EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid to drive it. True, I only play World of Tanks at the moment but it plays it on ultra settings, with G-Sync and never see a frame dropped under 110.

Yes, I know, I'm using a £700 monitor for WoT. The thing is that I paid only £350 for (second hand) and when I bought it I was thinking the same as you, could always buy a new GPU later on, which I agree.

As another option you could search for monitor with >60Hz and you should be fine. Anything over 60Hz is great, so not necessarily 144Hz (only for FPS games that make use of it).

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

imo monitors tend to stay longer than your graphics card... you're better off putting a good chunk of money in a top notch monitor. Which i would suggest have all these three: 1440p, 144Hz [165hz oc] and g-sync. <  this combo is still pretty awesome in 2017, i don;'t see the need of going to 4k, too intense and you end up getting lower frame rates. 1440p seems to be the ideal gaming spot for most people with a 1070+++ [be it wide or ultrawide take ur picks]

predominantly 27 inch should be fine. i find it to be the perfect resolution for 1440p over my previous 21.5" 1080p60 monitor as the ppi is relatively the same which mean the scalability worked in my favor... i'm rocking the swift PG279q w/ ROG strix 1080ti oc for this matter and it maintains a consistent 144fps in almost all games i play afaik and will suffice for many years to come until 4k becomes viable on a single card at high fps at a relatively good price...

As for the IPS glow and backlight bleed related to this monitor [and any other gaming monitor at high fps], it is a miniscule issue imo from how i seen it [across 3 variants, 2 of my friends and 1 of mine], you have to be staring at a black screen majority of the time to even notice it which i clearly dont notice, there is a bit on the top right for me but it isn't a dealbreaker to keep going back and forth just for that tiny fix... i know some will expect perfection and its fine but imo i can't see the reason for gambling screens again, you have to be looking at a pitch black screen most of ur time which seems unrealistic....

i know some people have told me to get a 4k and 1440p is a waste for a 1080ti but given a single card can pump out consistent 144Hz at 1440p, that to me is a winner, i want to avoid SLI as much as I can and I feel single card will disappoint less. my reason was i favor high frame rate with a modest resolution improvement over something that's intensive at 60fps aka 4K...at least for me steeping into FPS for the first time, 144Hz is a true gem. something for you to strive towards to i guess, just a matter of how your needs/wants will evolve over time.

1440p on a 27" looks huge and spacious to me already... so i probably would suggest going in that direction if you are looking at 1440p primary resolution.

24" i feel 1080p is better... if you need 24". 1440p on 24" would look rather tiny with 100% windows scaling

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

14 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

imo monitors tend to stay longer than your graphics card... you're better off putting a good chunk of money in a top notch monitor. Which i would suggest have all these three: 1440p, 144Hz [165hz oc] and g-sync. <  this combo is still pretty awesome in 2017, i don;'t see the need of going to 4k, too intense and you end up getting lower frame rates. 1440p seems to be the ideal gaming spot for most people with a 1070+++ [be it wide or ultrawide take ur picks]

predominantly 27 inch should be fine. i find it to be the perfect resolution for 1440p over my previous 21.5" 1080p60 monitor as the ppi is relatively the same which mean the scalability worked in my favor... i'm rocking the swift PG279q w/ ROG strix 1080ti oc for this matter and it maintains a consistent 144fps in almost all games i play afaik and will suffice for many years to come until 4k becomes viable on a single card at high fps at a relatively good price...

As for the IPS glow and backlight bleed related to this monitor [and any other gaming monitor at high fps], it is a miniscule issue imo from how i seen it [across 3 variants, 2 of my friends and 1 of mine], you have to be staring at a black screen majority of the time to even notice it which i clearly dont notice, there is a bit on the top right for me but it isn't a dealbreaker to keep going back and forth just for that tiny fix... i know some will expect perfection and its fine but imo i can't see the reason for gambling screens again, you have to be looking at a pitch black screen most of ur time which seems unrealistic....

i know some people have told me to get a 4k and 1440p is a waste for a 1080ti but given a single card can pump out consistent 144Hz at 1440p, that to me is a winner, i want to avoid SLI as much as I can and I feel single card will disappoint less. my reason was i favor high frame rate with a modest resolution improvement over something that's intensive at 60fps aka 4K...at least for me steeping into FPS for the first time, 144Hz is a true gem. something for you to strive towards to i guess, just a matter of how your needs/wants will evolve over time.

1440p on a 27" looks huge and spacious to me already... so i probably would suggest going in that direction if you are looking at 1440p primary resolution.

24" i feel 1080p is better... if you need 24". 1440p on 24" would look rather tiny with 100% windows scaling

Thanks for your reply. Yeah my main concern now is if my 1070 will maintain a good performance on 1440p .. like 60-100fps ish and if it's only around 60fps if it will look smooth.. i have no idea about that. I guess everything is smoother then my 60hz 1080p monitor atm? even at 1440p

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, xsimplyjosh said:

@xsimplyjosh made a very good explanation on the monitor side. To you question if the 1070 would be enough, I think yes.

My personal experience is that my 1070 is perfectly fine to play at 1440p with a 144Hz monitor. I have the AOC AG271QG with IPS panel, G-Sync and I can run all games with high settings at 60+ FPS. I some very GPU heavy games you will drop below that, as you see in some reviews but I found that is not a problem.

If you want more than 120+FPS in a shooter than you  may need to lower the settings. I my case my CPU is a little too weak to take full advantage of the high FPS but in Overwatch I get 100+FPS. This could be just my personal problem, until I upgrade the CPU. 

If you have a good CPU that can handle the FPS the 1070 should be fine. As xsimplyjosh said you will have the monitor longer than the GPU and investing in a 27" with 1440p with high frame rate is a good choice.

On 19/08/2017 at 7:35 AM, YenteDS said:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah my main concern now is if my 1070 will maintain a good performance on 1440p .. like 60-100fps ish and if it's only around 60fps if it will look smooth.. i have no idea about that. I guess everything is smoother then my 60hz 1080p monitor atm? even at 1440p

That being said if you do target your future monitor for G-Sync [although a bit of a premium but since you have a Nvidia graphics card why not], you'll feel the extra benefits of an overall smooth gameplay despite lower frame rates which is where G-Sync shines the most. So your 1070 will do fine. G-sync pretty much syncs your monitor's frame rate output to your graphics card's actual frame rate output so you do not experience screen tearing, stutter or lag. So your frame rate might vary greatly based on the intensity of the graphics at that particular time, but G-sync will save u by delivering what it's meant to do: an overall smoother gaming experience.

For me I almost picked a freesync monitor but I realised I spent a ton on a graphics card, so the monitor was justifiable to me for a very long period of time. That being said the 27" gsync monitors are now dropping in price [at least 100aud here] with the lowest at around 899aud... 

You could probably play on High [not ultra] settings. since I think the difference between ultra and high to me is imperceptible, but I leave mine on ultra anyways given the 1080Ti, might as well. As long my frame rate is greater than 100fps throughout all games, I'm happy to leave it on fully maxed settings. in my case, 100Hz will be the lowest i go for all games since 100 to 144hz is less obvious compared to something like 60 to 100..

the great thing is if volta gen comes out with a card that perfroms equally to the 1080ti at a lower price or tier, you can possibly upgrade to that and still maximise or get close to your monitor. so thats something to think about. 

again the only reason why i picked this monitor is normally im not a fan of reselling stuff at all due to the quick value drop of tech & the design is amazing (this part is subjective, most will disagree due to the price diff and thats okay with me)... the pg279q has a nice asthetic design over all other monitors in this calibre [the only one that would beat it is probably their 34" ultrawide], it has relatively demanding specifications 1440p 165hz, gsync, ips. i won't see this monitor getting old anytime soon, it still demands quite a pretty high end graphics card [single] to run those specs or almost. i do hope my 1080Ti can last long too as this monitor providing i do not change the monitor in anyway.

viewsonic has a cheaper one  with the same panel as the asus, but i am not a fan of their green accents. but it's 200aud lower than the asus normal rrp. there's the acer but i'm not a fan of their products [i have a bias towards asus due to the design and had a flexible budget]

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

My take on this: maintain approximately 60fps on average with a 1070 and you'll be perfectly fine at the minimum. It's fine to tune it down to high settings over ultra if you area dipping lower than 60 on average.

---