Gamers Nexus Confirms Vega 64 Price Increase

Staas

I got the answer AMD is basically saying Miners go buy out Nvda's cards and gamers would have no choice but to buy amd they are geniuses all gamers switched to AMD by default cuz they can't beat out miners

or... hbm2 is just really expensive

I don't see the problem with the price gouge myself. They might as well cash in on the cryptocurrency boom instead of letting sellers pocket all the fat profits from the elevated demand. This fucking card is stillborn anyways for gaming but if they can sell what they produce to miners at least it'll be less of a clusterfuck for them. RX Vega 64 has to be the shittiest high end card I have ever seen. Their profits must be razor thin on that card at the original $500 MSRP.

2 hours ago, suits said:

Just giving me more reason to like AMDs CPU division but loathe their GPU division...

Funny when it was the complete opposite 3 years ago when you could buy the best aftermarket R9 290s for $220 while the FX series was garbage. The $220 R9 290 is probably the best gpu deal I have seen since the big price increase of early 2012 on gpus.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't see the problem with the price gouge myself. They might as well cash in on the cryptocurrency boom instead of letting sellers pocket all the fat profits from the elevated demand. This fucking card is stillborn anyways for gaming but if they can sell what they produce to miners at least it'll be less of a clusterfuck for them. RX Vega 64 has to be the shittiest high end card I have ever seen. Their profits must be razor thin on that card at the original $500 MSRP.

Except they aren't even that good for mining. $599 for a Vega 64, which is getting about MH/s. I was getting 26 MH/s stock and about 31 MH/s on my OC'ed 290 before I sold it. The GTX 1070, Vega 56, and Polaris based cards all get similar hasrates, while costing significantly less and (with Nvidia cards) being more efficient.

6 minutes ago, Staas said:

Except they aren't even that good for mining. $599 for a Vega 64, which is getting about MH/s. I was getting 26 MH/s stock and about 31 MH/s on my OC'ed 290 before I sold it. The GTX 1070, Vega 56, and Polaris based cards all get similar hasrates, while costing significantly less and (with Nvidia cards) being more efficient.

Well, I guess AMD just can't be profitable selling this thing at $500 then. What a mess, I feel sorry for anyone who bought a FreeSync monitor anticipating Vega. I still refuse to invest in FreeSync or GSync until one kills off the other because I don't want to experience vendor lock-in and be stuck overpaying for a crap card like we're seeing with Vega 64 (and it's not like Nvidia hasn't put out awful high end cards either, such as the GTX 280).

24 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I still refuse to invest in FreeSync or GSync until one kills off the other

Considering FreeSync is directly based off the Display Port's Adaptive Sync standard (hence why there's no licensing fee for monitor manufacturers), don't expect it to die anytime soon.  And given the amount of investment Nvidia has put into G-Sync, don't expect them to abandon it easily.  I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long time to invest, then.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Considering FreeSync is directly based off the Display Port's Adaptive Sync standard (hence why there's no licensing fee for monitor manufacturers), don't expect it to die anytime soon.  And given the amount of investment Nvidia has put into G-Sync, don't expect them to abandon it easily.  I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long time to invest, then.

Probably. I don't mind tweaking settings for 60 fps and I prefer gaming on a TV anyways, as I'm too old for fps like PUBG, Battlefield, CS:GO, etc that really benefit for mouse & keyboard and good monitors vs HDTVs (my reaction time is shit now lol). I pretty much only move my gaming pc back to my monitor for playing sp fps like Fallout or Bioshock since I still like them with mouse & keyboard.

32 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Well, I guess AMD just can't be profitable selling this thing at $500 then. What a mess, I feel sorry for anyone who bought a FreeSync monitor anticipating Vega. I still refuse to invest in FreeSync or GSync until one kills off the other because I don't want to experience vendor lock-in and be stuck overpaying for a crap card like we're seeing with Vega 64 (and it's not like Nvidia hasn't put out awful high end cards either, such as the GTX 280).

Freesync might edge out seeing the Xbox one X supports freesync, though it's possible that TVs still won't adopt freesync via HDMI. TV manufacturers remain their sights on 4K and HDR. it's not entirely out of the picture. but it could result in wildly different displays of varying quality, much like what's happening now in the general freesync monitor market 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Freesync might edge out seeing the Xbox one X supports freesync, though it's possible that TVs still won't adopt freesync via HDMI. TV manufacturers remain their sights on 4K and HDR. it's not entirely out of the picture. but it could result in wildly different displays of varying quality, much like what's happening now in the general freesync monitor market 

Where have you seen XBox One X supports FreeSync? I remember watching their E3 reveal of the XBox One X and they never mentioned it. That would be a pretty big differentiator between it and PS4 Pro.

But vega is always a better choice than  nvidia because you can literally make up the cost of the card within  around a month. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Holy shit that's a dick move. You don't put out big slides with "new king under 500 dollars!", make all reviewers base their price:performance numbers on a 500 dollar cost, and say "oh the 500 dollar price was just a rebate which has now expired".

What really gets me is we hear over and over from tech media that NDAs are good and level the field and are necessary for media to stay in business.

So we see 56 vs 1070 videos out the wazoo and conclusions of reviews based on pricing that's a fucking complete lie.

AMD is screwing consumers and media with this, and I'm concerned the media will just roll over

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On top of being below a GTX 1080 in performance, this makes them untouchable for me. Vega 56 for Volta it is. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

AMD should ditch their graphics division and use that R&D money exclusively for their CPUs tbh

That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a very long time, without AMD Nvidia basically have a discreet GPU monopoly and that's not a good thing for consumers at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Holy shit...one of the retailers in Romania seems to have a Vega64 up for preorder.

WTF.PNG.5315309eb6f6e39e985006d7d9f848b4.PNG

It's up for preorder I think...it says under the green button (available in 3 days).

The price roughly translates as 940Euros.

Exchange factor is 1E = 4.57RON - 4.58RON, around that if you want to do the math further.

If this is the retail price...it's a massive flop.

I understand there have been problems at AMD HQ with budget allocation, wrong decisions and stuff...but to come and release this bullcrap that barely beats the mid-high tier cards while costing more?! It would've been better to launch nothing...but that's our perspective. AMD might sell some to miners and extreme fanboys...but other than that...what the hell AMD?

P.S. I don't care about power consumption, 100W more is basically an old light bulb and if you're looking in that range for a GPU...you won't cheap up on your PSU.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

10 hours ago, Staas said:

Out of the gate this was true. However AMD themselves already released a mining patch (They call it "compute" patch we know what it's for) which apparently pushes Vega 64 to 36 MH/s already and with some more adjusting soon they'll probably reach 40.

Still not making much sense vs just a pair of Polaris but assuming they cannot buy a Polaris card due to demand Vega 64 is already improved.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

What really gets me is we hear over and over from tech media that NDAs are good and level the field and are necessary for media to stay in business.

So we see 56 vs 1070 videos out the wazoo and conclusions of reviews based on pricing that's a fucking complete lie.

AMD is screwing consumers and media with this, and I'm concerned the media will just roll over

Might be a nice opportunity for @LinusTech to show he has no inherent bias for AMD now and either call em out or reach out to see if they're interested in clarifying in an official capacity about this price chicanery.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I already know that if Nvidia pulled this bullshit people would bitch and bitch and bitch about it for weeks on end.

I really don't understand why AMD would do this. I don't condone it and it's frankly quite a dick move.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I already know that if Nvidia pulled this bullshit people would bitch and bitch and bitch about it for weeks on end.

I really don't understand why AMD would do this. I don't condone it and it's frankly quite a dick move.

Because once the reviews came in and showed that Vega 64 is not the performance monster everyone was expecting, but mostly matches a GPU from 1.5 years ago, people stopped caring for Vega. Nobody really cares about Vega 64 at this point, aside from hardcore AMD fans and tech enthusiasts.

Compare it to the famous nVidia GTX 970 VRAM blunder - 970 was insanely popular, people were talking about it all the time. So of course many people were pissed - myself included - that 970 turned out to be less than everyone thought it is.

17 hours ago, Mooshi said:

AMD should ditch their graphics division and use that R&D money exclusively for their CPUs tbh

Then ngreedia will do whatever they please. We've seen already what that can do. Lets not.

13 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Funny when it was the complete opposite 3 years ago when you could buy the best aftermarket R9 290s for $220 while the FX series was garbage. The $220 R9 290 is probably the best gpu deal I have seen since the big price increase of early 2012 on gpus.

Picked up a R9 290 for $180 Open box years ago at a microcenter. They Released the RX 480 as there best card for the last year and it was similar in performance to a card i bought years ago for a cheaper price.... (Though the 290 was a steal)  Ive been waiting it out and dont see much of a reason to jump to any AMD Card besides maybe the 56 though the 3rd party pricing isnt out yet.  

Ill probably just wait for Next 1180 since it should be Pretty 4k Ready in my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wow, why in the hell did they not brag about this in their E3 reveal?

probably because they thought 4K and HDR were more important. plus there are no TVs available that have freesync capability 

funny enough it was first theorized that it'll have HDMI 2.1 / next-gen, which has VRR listed in the white-paper. but now it'll release with HDMI 2.0b