Floatplane Speedtest

Are you guys able to make a speedtest tool for Floatplane using something like Speedtest.net Mini or some custom speedtest tool? Sometimes when my network is preforming normally, Floatplane is slow and buffers so I would like to know if it is my connection or yours. I guess it would be like fast.com (Netflix).

9 minutes ago, aidanapple said:

Are you guys able to make a speedtest tool for Floatplane using something like Speedtest.net Mini or some custom speedtest tool? Sometimes when my network is preforming normally, Floatplane is slow and buffers so I would like to know if it is my connection or yours. I guess it would be like fast.com (Netflix).

cmd.exe 

ping -t linustechtips.com

or something like that

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

cmd.exe 

or something like that

yes, however I want the speed not just the ping. It would be one of the servers, and those vary (ie. edge01, edge02).

Just now, aidanapple said:

yes, however I want the speed not just the ping. It would be one of the servers, and those vary (ie. edge01, edge02).

if the latency is high for ltt and low for other website then the connection problem is from LTT

@Slick

It's probably not floatplane servers though, as I've heard that it's mostly good.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

It's probably not floatplane servers though, as I've heard that it's mostly good.

It is mostly, but sometimes they are slow (a bunch of viewers).

8 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

cmd.exe 

or something like that

That wouldn't work. FPC content is hosted with different server than forums. And I think doing that ping hits closest CloudFlare first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

cmd.exe 

or something like that

That is latency not throughput. Throughput is completely unrelated unless there are packet drops, which is better to test with an MTR rather than a PING. 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:01 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

if the latency is high for ltt and low for other website then the connection problem is from LTT

Incorrect. Latency is only a measure of the response time which is generally due to distance. I have a latency of almost 200ms to LTT edge servers because I'm in New Zealand, so it must route across multiple networks approx 12000km+ - yet I use a good ISP with decent CIR, and have decent layer3 providers in between so speed is fairly decent.

Normally if there is a 'speed' issue, 'Floatplane' links/servers may be congested if theres a big release like SYW5. their provider may be having issues (these are if everyone is affected), or there may be issues with your own ISP or their layer3 routing. Often there may be cable faults, which require re-routing to be done which may end up on sub-nominal routing paths until the issue is fixed. The network which 'the internet' runs over is extremely dynamic and constantly changing.  

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 8/17/2017 at 3:47 PM, aidanapple said:

Currently, FPC infrastructure is hosted on OVH, so you should be able to do a speedtest on http://proof.ovh.net/ to see the throughput to their datacenters. We're hosted in Beauharnois, QC, CA and Strasbourg, EU.

I'll check with @Slick if we should deploy a speedtest machine (nperf) in each DC with the same bandwidth parameters so we have a more real-life test result.