Vega MSRP Instructed by AMD

Ethan.

Looks like the AMD price hike was due to instructions by AMD to sell only some stock at that low price. 

Problem is, this wasn't ever publicly announced, and I'm pretty sure even Linus didn't mention/know about it. 

Source: https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/ocuks-andrew-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

If this is true, this was the dumbest and most asshole'ish move by AMD I've seen in quite a while :o (besides calling the Fury X an overclocker's dream :P )

Especially after showing those slides to the public:

rZK46zj.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, ElectronicWizard said:

Looks like the AMD price hike was due to instructions by AMD to sell only some stock at that low price. 

Problem is, this wasn't ever publicly announced, and I'm pretty sure even Linus didn't mention/know about it. 

Source: https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/ocuks-andrew-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

Linus didnt. No one did, 

Kyle from BitWit confirmed in his video there was absolutely no mention of a "launch price" followed by a $100 bump in price at the AMD briefing

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If this is true, this was the dumbest and most asshole'ish move by AMD I've seen in quite a while :o (besides calling the Fury X an overclocker's dream :P )

Especially after showing those slides to the public:

xAMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-Presentation-on-KitG

Broken pic

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I feel like this has been posted elsewhere.

Either way dick move AMD.

I'd say vote with your wallet but miners will buy all the GPUs out anyways.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Broken pic

Oh, it cached from the website and it looks like it's working fine on my browser but when I used MS Edge to check that, turns out you're right, thanks ^^ fixing!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Oh, it cached from the website and it looks like it's working fine on my browser but when I used MS Edge to check that, turns out you're right, thanks ^^ fixing!

It's because you have clicked on the link. The pic does not allow hotlinking. Have to save to pc and then upload it. Videocardz does this too.  

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

It's because you have clicked on the link. The pic does not allow hotlinking. Have to save to pc and then upload it. 

Yup, most likely ^_^ Should be fine now.

GamersNexus explains it better http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3023-aib-partners-to-gn-yes-vega-price-will-change

In speaking with different sources from different companies that work with AMD, GamersNexus learned that “Gibbo is right” regarding the AMD rebate expiry and subsequent price jump. AMD purportedly provided the top retailers and etailers with a $499 price on Vega 64, coupling sale of the card with a rebate to reduce spend by retailers, and therefore use leverage to force the lower price. The $100 rebate from AMD is already expiring, hence the price jump by retailers who need return. Rebates were included as a means to encourage retailers to try to sell at the lower $499 price. With those expiring, leverage is gone and retailers/etailers return to their own price structure, as margins are exceptionally low on this product.

Basically AMD was forcing the price to be at the MSRP by giving a rebate to retailers. They could only do that for so many units.

Apply this to current cards like the 580, if they gave a rebate to make it sell at MSRP for a while. They can do it for only so many units and they end the rebate that is forcing the price to be at MSRP. The retailers would jack up the price to whatever they want after that.

well if its true, nothing to be surprised. that is what companies do when they gain a bit popularity & trust, they become greedy & show real face..at the end we consumers always pay the price!  

5 minutes ago, Fardin said:

well if its true, nothing to be surprised. that is what companies do when they gain a bit popularity & trust, they become greedy & show real face..at the end we consumers always pay the price!  

Eh, that's a strange and extremely trollish statement.

There's plenty of logical reasons why this situation happened.

IMG_0604.JPG.b5412e4fac455d8d05db7a679951f378.JPG

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Retoast?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

(besides calling the Fury X an overclocker's dream :P )

yah that should be the title for the Fury on LN2 :P 

19 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

hey atleast the HMB is really power efficient, stays under 20W even at 1100MHz

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Time to buy vega while stocks last bois. 

I bet there was no doubt in your mind about vega's value. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case