Never Thought I'd Use Ryzen- But I'm Excited (First Build Advice)

What's up people!?

I'm new here but wicked excited to be part of the community. So I've been gaming off my Lenovo Y50-70 laptop for quite some time, but I'm ready to get into some video editing and streaming stuff so it's time to build my first PC!

I've been doing mad research for MONTHS as most of us do, and I think I've decided on the final build that I want. I wanted to run it past some competent people before I make it official (though I'm still waiting a little bit longer for finances to come together). 

So here's a link to my Amazon list, but following is a quick list of main components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

GPU: MSI GTX1060GX

MOBO: MSI ProSeries AMD B350M Mortar mATX (not 100% on this still...)

PSU: XFX 650W 80+ Gold

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

Storage: Kingston 120GB SSD, 2TB WD Black HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD, 1TB WD Blue HDD (In order: Boot/OS, video/mp3 library and editing software, main programs and files/games, regular files/downloads/images/etc)

Case: Cooler Master N200 Mini Tower

Cooling: Noctua AMD NH-U9S (AM4 adapter sold separately) which I'll add another Noctua NF-A9 fan to. Case fans will be various Noctua and Corsair fans: two intakes in front, one intake at side panel, one exhaust at back, one exhaust at top.

I've got other things (usb hubs, fan filters, speakers, etc) that I'm adding. I'll be running Windows 10, probably home edition. Like the title says, I never really went into this thinking I would be using an AMD CPU. Maybe I was brainwashed or something, but man am I glad I looked into it. Seems like the Ryzen 5 is perfect for what I want: gaming with some video work, and think with the potential to do more video and streaming stuff down the road without my hardware holding me back. 

Oh, also I'll be using two Acer KG241Q 1080p monitors. Not the greatest but I got them basically buy one get one free when they first hit Amazon.

Anyway, do I have any gaping holes in my build? Anything standing out to any of you that says "this guy's gonna have a real tough time with this build"?

Or is this a decent set up for my first gaming+ pc?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

lot of storage space, i would check if your case supports that many HDD's (3,5 inch bays) especially if you are building in a Mini tower with a mATX motherboard to fit in there

Looks good only question to maybe save you some money. Do you need that USB PCI-E card ? do you think you would use more USB ports than what come on the board ?

Why 1600x? What speed is the ram?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

9 minutes ago, zak rooley said:

Looks good only question to maybe save you some money. Do you need that USB PCI-E card ? do you think you would use more USB ports than what come on the board ?

Probably not I'm likely not going to include that at this point.

I can't remember why I didn't add faster RAM. At some point I saw that it wasn't compatible with something (?) but my mobo and chip can handle higher RAM speeds...? I would like to up that from 2400MHz.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:45 AM, Leshya said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.65 @ OutletPC) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($5.84 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($126.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.84 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($38.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($30.00) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 industrialP PC-2000 71.7 CFM  120mm Fan  ($22.49 @ Amazon) 

Other: GOgroove BassPULSE 2MX 2.0 USB Multimedia Computer Speakers ($19.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Thermaltake 120mm Black Magnetic Fan Filter (AC-002-ON1NAN-A1)  ($8.97 @ Amazon) 
Other: SIENOC Display Port DP Male to HDMI Female Connector Adaptor Color Black  ($9.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Mailiya PCI-E to Type-C + A 5-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express Card  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1383.58

What's with the storage if I may ask (the need for it). Just buy the OS from Kinguin or G2A for $30.00. I fit a GTX1080, faster ram,  better PSU and fans. The 1600X is just a factory overclocked 1600.

I added your custom parts and that totals an extra $80 to my build. let me know your thoughts.

The storage is no longer necessary as my plans for the computer have changed somewhat, and I can buy more drives down the road if I expand my editing etc. I definitely can get away with what you listed. No problems with the Seagate drive? I also decided I could take or leave the PCI-E hub.
I do want the fan setup I originally posted, mainly the Noctua fans and number of fans in the case. I'm going for a vaguely positive air pressure to keep my computer cleaner, longer (I have a lot of dust in this apartment), so that will add a bit. But largely yeah, that's a great build. I'm surprised at the power you fit for the same price. My fans will add extra, but that doesn't phase me at all. I didn't know that the 1600/1600x were basically the same for a build like this, so I'm glad I posted here. 

I love it!

Only questions I guess are:

-Is the EVGA GTX1080 reliable?

-Also, no issues with a cheaper version of Win10? I got freaked out by people saying their licenses got pulled randomly on cheapo's.

While I'm at it, what kind of things do you put on an SSD that big..? I was only planning on OS/drivers, but I was wondering if I can utilize that space better.

I really appreciate the tips and I'll definitely iron out the details with this information. 

23 hours ago, Leshya said:

The EVGA variant is more so the best one you can get cooling and acoustics wise. great card. For the most part the, yes it's safe, just buy with a consumer protection like on G2A but for the most part, from personal experience, it's fine.

Honestly, some games might benefit from the SSD speed but for the most part, it's mainly just using it to store the OS on the drive for overall system snappiness. Yes, the Seagate drive is reliable with no overall issues that I know.

Yeah the EVGA looks great and well reviewed. 

When looking at the Crucial MX300 SSD I found that they make an M.2 of the same model and exact same price. Any preference? 

Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD4

Ryzen begs for ram speed I would not go below 3200 if it's on the vendors list for your mobo take it from someone who knows (1600x and 1800x) cinebench scores went up by 60-75 points for each step of ram speed, I got in on day 1 so my gskill rip jaw started out at 2133 and every bios (msi) got me to the next level and performance was substantial after 3200 it drops rapidly i my opinion and the gain isn't worth the extra cost of the memory I have flare x and it worked at 3200 outta the box

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

4 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

Ryzen begs for ram speed I would not go below 3200 if it's on the vendors list for your mobo take it from someone who knows (1600x and 1800x) cinebench scores went up by 60-75 points for each step of ram speed, I got in on day 1 so my gskill rip jaw started out at 2133 and every bios (msi) got me to the next level and performance was substantial after 3200 it drops rapidly i my opinion and the gain isn't worth the extra cost of the memory I have flare x and it worked at 3200 outta the box

I've heard that, but I'm having trouble finding boards that advertise that they handle speeds up there that are also reviewed even remotely positively, and preferably are AM4 sockets. Are people just reviewing them poorly because there are AMD haters? It's messing with my choice in boards. I have a hard time buying something like that without lots of confidence from consumer reviews (Amazon is typically good in this regard).

On 8/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, Calico Morgan said:

The storage is no longer necessary as my plans for the computer have changed somewhat, and I can buy more drives down the road if I expand my editing etc. I definitely can get away with what you listed. No problems with the Seagate drive? I also decided I could take or leave the PCI-E hub.
I do want the fan setup I originally posted, mainly the Noctua fans and number of fans in the case. I'm going for a vaguely positive air pressure to keep my computer cleaner, longer (I have a lot of dust in this apartment), so that will add a bit. But largely yeah, that's a great build. I'm surprised at the power you fit for the same price. My fans will add extra, but that doesn't phase me at all. I didn't know that the 1600/1600x were basically the same for a build like this, so I'm glad I posted here. 

I love it!

Only questions I guess are:

-Is the EVGA GTX1080 reliable?

-Also, no issues with a cheaper version of Win10? I got freaked out by people saying their licenses got pulled randomly on cheapo's.

While I'm at it, what kind of things do you put on an SSD that big..? I was only planning on OS/drivers, but I was wondering if I can utilize that space better.

I really appreciate the tips and I'll definitely iron out the details with this information. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Calico_Morgan/saved/7446hM

That's my updated parts list. You were right, it's about the same price, with way more freaking horse power. Price is high on that list cause of the OS price and the addition of all my fan swag lol but it's well within my comfort zone for this build. 

Of course now the two 1080p monitors I sniped on sale are gonna make me depressed when they run my GTX1080. I'll save up for a 4k or two lol!

Thanks a lot!

On 8/21/2017 at 6:30 PM, Calico Morgan said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Calico_Morgan/saved/7446hM

That's my updated parts list. You were right, it's about the same price, with way more freaking horse power. Price is high on that list cause of the OS price and the addition of all my fan swag lol but it's well within my comfort zone for this build. 

Of course now the two 1080p monitors I sniped on sale are gonna make me depressed when they run my GTX1080. I'll save up for a 4k or two lol!

Thanks a lot!

Looks like a build you're going to be having a good time with. Enjoy!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 8/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Looks like a build you're going to be having a good time with. Enjoy!

You have no idea how freaking excited I am (actually you probably do)! Thanks! Lot's of great things to come with this build.:D