Is AngularJS compatible with Linux?

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

And the slightly more involved answer is that Angular is a javascript framework that runs in the browser, so you can use it on any operating system you like; for programming it it, you can use any text editor, though an IDE with angular support or a plugin for it might make things slightly easier, with autocomplete and features like that. Compatible IDEs are available on all platforms; Visual Studio Code is an example that has support built in and runs on the major platforms (Win, Mac and Linux).

Hello 

I'll be using Angular framework this year at the university and I'd like to know if I can use it on Linux :)
Any suggestions?
The last framework I used was laravel and it worked just fine.
Thank you.

And the slightly more involved answer is that Angular is a javascript framework that runs in the browser, so you can use it on any operating system you like; for programming it it, you can use any text editor, though an IDE with angular support or a plugin for it might make things slightly easier, with autocomplete and features like that. Compatible IDEs are available on all platforms; Visual Studio Code is an example that has support built in and runs on the major platforms (Win, Mac and Linux).

HTTP/2 203

If you going with Linux, I prefer using Visual Studio Code because the integration with TypeScript language that Angular uses, and if you want to use other editor I also recommend Sublime Text 3 with Microsoft TypeScript package for the I/O wrapper.

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Thank you so much, I'm kinda new at this but I'm very interested, I wonder if you could advise me on any site, yt channel, a book where I can learn more. Thanks 

6 minutes ago, nerdv2 said:

If you going with Linux, I prefer using Visual Studio Code because the integration with TypeScript language that Angular uses, and if you want to use other editor I also recommend Sublime Text 3 with Microsoft TypeScript package for the I/O wrapper.

:o , thank you man, really appreciate your knowledge, I wonder if you could advise me on a book, site, whatever where I could learn more about this, thanks!

1 minute ago, Ernesto Espinoza said:

:o , thank you man, really appreciate your knowledge, I wonder if you could advise me on a book, site, whatever where I could learn more about this, thanks!

If you want to start with Angular, The Tour of Heroes tutorial is already comprehensive enough for basic Angular skills.

Start with Angular CLI or Angular 4 and ignore the Angular 1 because it's a completely different framework than the current one. If you want to learn the first Angular for some reason the Codecademy AngularJS is a great start. There's a lot of tutorial in Medium if you prefer blog style tutorial.

And welcome to Angular development my friend.

A bit of view development on linux.

Spoiler

2017-08-18-103819_1024x600_scrot.png.daa2566922df5784182531bae4b65c1f.png

Calling the ~2% Desktop Linux a "major operating system" makes me chuckle, actually.

Write in C.

16 hours ago, nerdv2 said:

If you want to start with Angular, The Tour of Heroes tutorial is already comprehensive enough for basic Angular skills.

Start with Angular CLI or Angular 4 and ignore the Angular 1 because it's a completely different framework than the current one. If you want to learn the first Angular for some reason the Codecademy AngularJS is a great start. There's a lot of tutorial in Medium if you prefer blog style tutorial.

And welcome to Angular development my friend.

A bit of view development on linux.

Reveal hidden contents

2017-08-18-103819_1024x600_scrot.png.daa2566922df5784182531bae4b65c1f.png

I'm really grateful to you man, thank you so much, I'll check the tour of Heroes tutorial!

On 18/08/2017 at 2:02 PM, Dat Guy said:

Calling the ~2% Desktop Linux a "major operating system" makes me chuckle, actually.

For developers, I would imagine that it has considerably more than 2% adoption, so for developers I would argue it's definitely a major operating system. For general users though, I suppose it is a stretch.

HTTP/2 203

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2017 at 4:20 AM, nerdv2 said:

AngularJS shouldn't be confused with angular, they are both very different. Angular 2 and above uses TypeScript however angularJS does not.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 8/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Dat Guy said:

Being a developer, I respectfully disagree.

Being a dev myself i could say that about 100% of those i know use windows and 50% of them also use linux. If you check actual real statistics base of last stack overflow annual stats here are the stats :

image.png.529e90bc48af5005cff3506e29ea2c80.png

Linux IS a major. That list is listing the Primary. A good chunk use 2 operating system. Like i said in my entourage about half devs i know uses 2 operating systems but i think it's over what the real average would be.

If you are interested in dev statistic check the latest at stack overflow here

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

yes, that thing run in the browser. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/28/2018 at 10:28 AM, Franck said:

Being a dev myself i could say that about 100% of those i know use windows and 50% of them also use linux. If you check actual real statistics base of last stack overflow annual stats here are the stats :

image.png.529e90bc48af5005cff3506e29ea2c80.png

Linux IS a major. That list is listing the Primary. A good chunk use 2 operating system. Like i said in my entourage about half devs i know uses 2 operating systems but i think it's over what the real average would be.

If you are interested in dev statistic check the latest at stack overflow here

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

We need to get more developers to develop on linux. Windows has too much software monopoly these days and not enough developers coding for FOSS 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, wasab said:

We need to get more developers to develop on linux. Windows has too much software monopoly these days and not enough developers coding for FOSS 

Personally i am more of the school of "as long as it gets the job done". As for FOSS, .Net has been going through big philosophy changes for the last couple years. The shear amount of open source project i end up using daily vs closed source is easily a factor 50 to 1 nowadays. 10 years ago it was barely 1 to 1.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:02 PM, Dat Guy said:

>write in C 
>not on a *Nix like OS

Dear god don't tell me you are using the Microsoft C compiler, just Ken Thompson can imagine the mess and the hell that would be on it, well just using any C compiler in a Windows environment is like that actually...This is what really makes people chuckle...

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

not on a *Nix like OS

Huh?

6 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

don't tell me you are using the Microsoft C compiler

No, I am not.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Huh?

No, I am not.

If you are a C programmer it is born historically on Unix, and Linux today is the most used ones, and probably together with MacOS one of the best environments to program in C with, using an sh shell especially which is very suitable for C programs, unlike Windows. Unless you are a C++ dev

Linux is not a Unix, it does not even try to be one. I am not interested in playing with a toy OS, I prefer the real deal. You can keep it, thank you.

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

using an sh shell especially which is very suitable for C programs

Sanely written C programs work just fine in Unix/BSD shells, the toy bash and the PowerShell.

3 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Unless you are a C++ dev

I am both a C and a C++ dev. While Microsoft's C++ compiler is fine for me (it even supported C++17 before it was "finished"), the C support sucks dicks in hell. I usually use Clang for that.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Linux is not a Unix, it does not even try to be one. I am not interested in playing with a toy OS, I prefer the real deal. You can keep it, thank you.

Neither unix or MacOS which has the unix certification is real unix since it is just a commercial name, but I obviously meant the posix compatibility, the real toy OS is windows with his implementation tbh 

3 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Neither unix or MacOS which has the unix certification is real unix

I can assure you that Unix is real Unix. (Huh?)

Just now, Lukyp said:

I obviously meant the posix compatibility

Which the Linux toy just doesn't have. The Windows Interix subsystem has a more complete POSIX implementation than any Linux distribution I have ever come across.

the real toy OS is windows with his implementation tbh 

Windows itself does not have POSIX compatibility. Neither the C standard nor the C++ standard require it anyway.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

The Windows Interix subsystem had a more complete POSIX implementation than any Linux distribution I have ever come across.

Bad thing every thing Microsoft touches dies and is being discontinued and not developed

Just now, Dat Guy said:

I can assure you that Unix is real Unix. (Huh?)

because unix doesn't exists anymore but the closest things are called like that anyway plus the "like" for legal reasons

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Windows itself does not have POSIX compatibility. Neither the C standard nor the C++ standard require it anyway.

That basically makes C portability useless from Windows anyway

Just now, Lukyp said:

every thing Microsoft touches dies and is being discontinued

That's Google, actually.

because unix doesn't exists anymore

You are free to choose whether this is a lie or simply a misinformation on your side. Of course System V Unix still exists, both in commercial (AIX, HP-UX, Solaris) and free (illumos) flavors. No, it is not "made by the (dissolved) Bell Labs" anymore, but I sincerely hope that this is not the only thing that you consider to be essential for "a Unix".

If you disagree, please name three relevant Unix properties which AIX does not have.

5 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

That basically makes C portability useless from Windows anyway

No, why? The C standard is perfectly portable. Which one feature from which recent C standard is not available on Windows?

Write in C.