Canon T3i vs Canon T4i vs Nikon D3200 vs Nikon D3400

CA8OOS3

Guys,

I am wanting to start off doing some entry level photography, along with learning how to shoot video and stream with one of these Cameras. I would like to know which ones you guys would buy if it were you.

I am looking at the used Market because I don't feel buying something new would benefit me greater I don't think but I could be way wrong.

So here is the list.

Canon T3i with Kit Lens: Price Range of $250 - $350 <--- This is the Camera Im really thinking about but if there is a better option I am willing to listen.

Canon T4i with Tamarin 50-270 Lens $350 <--- Thought it was a good deal because ad says it includes a lot of extra's although they are not listed. 

Nikon D3200 with Kit Lense - $250 <--- I was trying for at least a Nikon D3300 but this was the best available option in my area price wise. I have seen a couple of these but I do not know which is better Canon or Nikon

Nikon D3400 with Kit Lense - $450 <--- This is the only brand spanking new camera on my list. Walmart sells it for $400 so i figured after taxes it would be about $450. My walmart has it behind a glass case so I cannot even look at it to play with its settings or anything.

Well that is my list. I hope you guys can help this noob out.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

3 hours ago, CA8OOS3 said:

Guys,

I am wanting to start off doing some entry level photography, along with learning how to shoot video and stream with one of these Cameras. I would like to know which ones you guys would buy if it were you.

I am looking at the used Market because I don't feel buying something new would benefit me greater I don't think but I could be way wrong.

So here is the list.

Canon T3i with Kit Lens: Price Range of $250 - $350 <--- This is the Camera Im really thinking about but if there is a better option I am willing to listen.

Canon T4i with Tamarin 50-270 Lens $350 <--- Thought it was a good deal because ad says it includes a lot of extra's although they are not listed. 

Nikon D3200 with Kit Lense - $250 <--- I was trying for at least a Nikon D3300 but this was the best available option in my area price wise. I have seen a couple of these but I do not know which is better Canon or Nikon

Nikon D3400 with Kit Lense - $450 <--- This is the only brand spanking new camera on my list. Walmart sells it for $400 so i figured after taxes it would be about $450. My walmart has it behind a glass case so I cannot even look at it to play with its settings or anything.

Well that is my list. I hope you guys can help this noob out.

The d3400 is the best option given the technology in it, although the lack of a tilting touchscreen will be a bummer for video recording. 

It is though probably the best photo camera on your list. 

Also, the sheer video capabilities over the older canons make it a no brainer. 

Small tip, if you were to look for a non kit lens for any of these cameras, especially a $250 one, look for tamron or sigma's 17-50mm f/2.8 VCs. They are an upgrade over the kit lens and have a fixed aperture, which makes them more suited for most applications, especially video where you don't want your exposure and DOF changing with zoom adjustments and at the 5.6 or even 6.3 aperture they are when fully zoomed in, you might be limited when shooting video. Also, superzoom lenses 18-200 sort, tend to be pretty crap optically, they are expensive because of the supposed versatility, but a 17-50 is a much better deal imo. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

So the reason I was looking into Canon as well was for live streaming, and magic lantern seems to be a compelling feature. My wife would like to keep costs low thats another reason the t4i seems like a great choice considering the spare batteries it comes with and whatnot...I have some thinking to do..

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

The d3400 is the best option given the technology in it, although the lack of a tilting touchscreen will be a bummer for video recording. 

It is though probably the best photo camera on your list. 

Also, the sheer video capabilities over the older canons make it a no brainer. 

Small tip, if you were to look for a non kit lens for any of these cameras, especially a $250 one, look for tamron or sigma's 17-50mm f/2.8 VCs. They are an upgrade over the kit lens and have a fixed aperture, which makes them more suited for most applications, especially video where you don't want your exposure and DOF changing with zoom adjustments and at the 5.6 or even 6.3 aperture they are when fully zoomed in, you might be limited when shooting video. Also, superzoom lenses 18-200 sort, tend to be pretty crap optically, they are expensive because of the supposed versatility, but a 17-50 is a much better deal imo. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

4 hours ago, CA8OOS3 said:

So the reason I was looking into Canon as well was for live streaming, and magic lantern seems to be a compelling feature. My wife would like to keep costs low thats another reason the t4i seems like a great choice considering the spare batteries it comes with and whatnot...I have some thinking to do..

You really dont, the d3400 is more capable than any of the Canons you mentioned. Once you get to the 750d, then there is some competition and the 800d is the only one I would consider properly superior. Even the addition of ML doesn't make either of the Canons worth considering. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

Out of these cameras I would also recommend D3400. I started my photography with D3200 and I loved it, since then I've moved on to Full Frame but when I started off, I loved my D3200. Even back then D3200 was better in low light than the T3i and by now the D3400 is even better. Plus this is the only camera that does 60FPS in FullHD. I have used my Nikons for video more times I can count and I have never felt an actual need for something like ML, yea, it would be nice to have but it isn't something you can't live without. Getting a camera with better low light capabilities is more important than ML. 

Also, like @cc143 said, try to get the Tamron lens, it's way better than the kit lens and thanks to 2.8f, you will also get more light into the camera. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So its been some time and I have still been thinking. The t3i went out of the picture....apparently the D3400 raised in price because it was a sale and is now $500 but I can still get the t4i for $280.

Now with talking with my wife she would rather have something new for warranty purposes but I am just afraid the D3400 will not have one of the main functions I want. I want to be able to hook it to my PC and use it for a webcam as well because right now no matter what lighting tricks I do my Logitech C920 Webcam cannot do what I want it to. I figured using a webcam may help this situation a little bit. I have a small little pop up green screen but cannot seem to get proper lighting on it to use the Chroma key properly.

All in all I am at a loss, and I just want something soon since I am taking a trip to Ft. Benning, GA and I would like to take some Nice shots of the area since I completed my OSUT there.

Can you actually use the T4i as a webcam without a capture card? I have never heard about that.

Yes using software, it goes through USB

Update : Nikon D3400 does not have a mic input so for me that is out.

I did find a Nikon D3300 with kit lens for $250 so I think that is going to be my purchase. 

Is this a good buy vs Canon t3i or similar?

Yeap, this is a very good buy compared to T3i. D3300 is a great camera.

Since you are shooting video, I would look for a 700d used at this point, rather than go with a nikon d3x00. If you can;t get one, the d3300 is a viable option 

4 hours ago, cc143 said:

Since you are shooting video, I would look for a 700d used at this point, rather than go with a nikon d3x00. If you can;t get one, the d3300 is a viable option 

Unfortunately there are no used 700D in my area.

Since Im sticking locally, i am down to 2 sellers 2 cameras both the same price.

Nikon D3300 with Kit Lens included is a bag, charger, battery, and a unknown size sd card for $280 USD

Canon t3i with Kit Lens included is bag, charger, 2 x battery, and a 32GB sd card for $280 USD

I know the Nikon does 1080P/60 FPS and the Canon 1080P/30 FPS

Both have external Mic output.

t3i has the swivel screen

at this point I know the t3i initially came out in 2011 where the D3300 came out in 2014.

Camera's are confusing but i appreciate all the input I am getting from everyone.

Well guy with d3300 bailed and I ended up getting the Cannon t3i for $220. Seemed like a good buy now time to learn some stuff.

Thanks @cc143 for all your input and information I do appreciate it. 

I chose cheap maybe I can get a better lens now