raid 5 with freenas

by RAID5 I assume you mean RAIDZ1. 

If its anything like Freenas 9.x then under 'Storage' there should be a Volume Manager. 

Open that and you should be able to select your drives, then select the layout RAIDZ1. Because you're making a new one it should automatically create your Dataset. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

by RAID5 I assume you mean RAIDZ1. 

If its anything like Freenas 9.x then under 'Storage' there should be a Volume Manager. 

Open that and you should be able to select your drives, then select the layout RAIDZ1. Because you're making a new one it should automatically create your Dataset. 

thats zfs raid with one parity 

i dont wont zfs

1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

thats zfs raid with one parity 

i dont wont zfs

FreeNAS offers non-zfs parity again now? They dropped md years ago.....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

http://www.freenas.org/faq/

7. Why does FreeNAS only support the ZFS filesystem?

FreeNAS is designed around the OpenZFS filesystem, which enables many of the advanced features of FreeNAS such as data integrity, early indication of faulty drives, and the ability to boot into a previous working copy of the operating system after a failed upgrade. Other filesystems, including UFS, NTFS, FAT, EXT2 and EXT3 are supported “read only”, in order to allow data migration onto a ZFS volume.

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

FreeNAS offers non-zfs parity again now? They dropped md years ago.....

realy did they drop raid support

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

realy did they drop raid support

They dropped it years ago - I believe after FreeNAS 8.X

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Jarsky said:

They dropped it years ago - I believe after FreeNAS 8.X

fuck.

thank you for helping

are there any alternatives?

fuck.

thank you for helping

are there any alternatives?

why do you want to use md over zfs?

You could just use FreeBSD or Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS/etc...).

If you really want a NAS GUi then you could check out Openmediavault.

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

why do you want to use md over zfs?

You could just use FreeBSD or Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS/etc...).

If you really want a NAS GUi then you could check out Openmediavault.

i want raid 5 since i want to add more disks latter on

5 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Then check out OMV which uses Linux Software RAID (mdadm) https://www.openmediavault.org

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

I agree with @Jarsky - if you don't want or need ZFS, then the main advantage of FreeNAS is gone - sure it's still a decent NAS OS, but there are comparable alternatives, such as Open Media Vault.

3 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Then check out OMV which uses Linux Software RAID (mdadm) https://www.openmediavault.org

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree with @Jarsky - if you don't want or need ZFS, then the main advantage of FreeNAS is gone - sure it's still a decent NAS OS, but there are comparable alternatives, such as Open Media Vault.

i want to start with 3 drives and gradualy add more 1 by 1

is there a way that i can do that on zfs while maintaning 1 parity drive beacouse ive read someware that you cant

is there a way that i can do that on zfs while maintaning 1 parity drive beacouse ive read someware that you cant

that i have to add more vdevs. which adds more redundancy

9 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

No - not in an easy way.

Parity RAID on ZFS does not allow you to grow the number of drives.

You either have to swap out drives one at a time with a larger one, rebuilding the array in between each swap (This will take a long time, no doubt). Or you can add a second complete array and stripe them together (This would be a ZFS equivalent of RAID 50).

Neither of those are ideal.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For a small sacrifice of space you can just do mirror vdevs, and add 2 at a time while maintaining single disk failover. Raid5 in most environments cannot be expanded with the exception of a few fancy raid cards. Honestly something like Windows Storage Spaces, FlexRAID or unRaid might be better suited for what you want to do.

3 hours ago, Mikensan said:

For a small sacrifice of space you can just do mirror vdevs, and add 2 at a time while maintaining single disk failover. Raid5 in most environments cannot be expanded with the exception of a few fancy raid cards. Honestly something like Windows Storage Spaces, FlexRAID or unRaid might be better suited for what you want to do.

I can definitely recommend FlexRAID - though it's not free. I believe they often have the full license on sale for around $40-$50 or so.

FlexRAID is very flexible (duh lol) - you can do a single parity RAID array with however many drives you want (say, start with 4).

But the beauty is that you can add as many Parity Drives and/or additional Data Drives as you want, on the fly.

You can also combine multiple smaller drives into a larger virtual drive - this is useful if, for example:

You have 3x 3TB drives, 2x 500GB, 1x 2TB

You can combine the 2x 500GB and the 1x 2TB drive into a virtual 3TB drive, then use that virtual 3TB drive along side the other 3TB ones to form a 4x 3TB RAID5.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I can definitely recommend FlexRAID - though it's not free. I believe they often have the full license on sale for around $40-$50 or so.

FlexRAID is very flexible (duh lol) - you can do a single parity RAID array with however many drives you want (say, start with 4).

But the beauty is that you can add as many Parity Drives and/or additional Data Drives as you want, on the fly.

You can also combine multiple smaller drives into a larger virtual drive - this is useful if, for example:

You have 3x 3TB drives, 2x 500GB, 1x 2TB

You can combine the 2x 500GB and the 1x 2TB drive into a virtual 3TB drive, then use that virtual 3TB drive along side the other 3TB ones to form a 4x 3TB RAID5.

I won't the performance tho

I already tested it

8 hours ago, Mikensan said:

How much sacrifice?

7 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

How much sacrifice?

Just to note flexraid will fully saturate a gigabit network given new age disks can easily pump out 140-160mbps.  You can also throw an SSD at it for caching I believe. http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,3109.0.html

http://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl

This calculator for me was pretty close, 14.1 out of 18 with 5x 4TB disks and it predicted 14.04. It's not a perfect calculator I'm told but it'll give you an idea.

I did 6x 4TB disks, and it was 10TB vs 17TB in RaindZ1 which is definitely more than I initially thought. I've seen in the past where RaidZ1 lost a lot of space, but I believe that might've been because of the wrong number of disks. Definitely the more you increase the number of disks the bigger the gap.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, Ethocreeper said:

i want to make a raid 5 array in freenas 11

i found this  video but its for the old interface and i cant find the option

@dalekphalmcan you help?

could you just do this use 5 hdd format 1 as boot drive and other 4 as extended

now create windowsfolder on 4 extended drives

use taskscheduler to

A. sync windows extended drives windows folder to c:\windows

B. tell *.* hdd to read from drive with least activity

C. take 2 extended hdd and make folders to be synced on other 2 drives

taskscheduler is a great tool if it ever gets used

On 8/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, Ethocreeper said:

I won't the performance tho

I already tested it

Indeed there is a performance difference compared to using hardware RAID5, but very few home based situations would warrant the increased bandwidth.

As noted, a single HDD as part of a FlexRAID array can still provide enough performance to saturate a Gigabit link.

Furthermore, if you have multiple clients all hitting the server at once, if the files requested by different clients are on different drives, you'll have double the potential performance (Assuming your network can handle said additional performance).

18 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

@bcguru9384i want the performance of all drives + redundancy like raid 5

If you want that, you need to go Hardware RAID (although you need to ensure the particular card you buy has live expansion support), as it'll have the best overall performance (generally speaking). However Linux MD RAID will perform quite well too.

@dalekphalm@Mikensan and @Jarsky

i love openmediavault

2 problems

1. can i format my raid 5 as ntfs so windows pcs can read it
  2. i am running it as a vm. can i make that computer that is running the vm to see it a local drive. and if i connect it as a network drive will it be bottlenecked by 1gbps to the server that runs the vm?

thanks for the help