Galaxy Note 4 batteries are being recalled for overheating risk

yolosnail

Okay, so the title of this article is very much skewed towards clickbait as it seems that phones that were purchased brand new were not affected. However, if you purchased a refurbished Note 4 through AT&T between December 2016 and April 2017, then you are probably affected. From what everybody is saying, FedEx have already started sending out replacement batteries and boxes to return the phones.

Only phones refurbished through AT&T’s insurance program and handled by FedEx Supply Chain are impacted by the recall. Some of the refurbished phones apparently ended up with “counterfeit” batteries that include anomalies that could make them overheat.

Though the Note 4 is a three-year-old phone, the affected units were sent out pretty recently. All of them were distributed between December 2016 and April 2017.

FedEx is currently sending out replacement batteries as well as boxes for returning the recalled phones.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission says that anyone with one of these phones should stop using the battery immediately.

Since there has only actually been one report of a phone actually overheating, this is probably them just acting on the safe side as I don't think they would want another Note 7 fiasco.

So far, there’s only been one report of a phone overheating and no damage to people or property because of it.

Rightfully so I think, Samsung responded and called out The Verge for saying it was a problem with the Note 4 Batteries because the batteries used were counterfeit.

In a statement, Samsung placed the blame for the recall on FedEx. A spokesperson also disputed this article’s use of the phrasing “Galaxy Note 4 batteries,” since they were not made by Samsung.

Samsung are saying that the battery replacement had nothing to do with them as the refurbishment of the phones was actually managed by FedEx Supply Chain

“FedEx Supply Chain is conducting this recall of non-genuine Samsung batteries as some of them are counterfeit,” the spokesperson said. “The refurbishment program was managed by FedEx Supply Chain and operated independently of Samsung. Any affected owners should contact FedEx Supply Chain at 1-800-338-0163 or go online at www.exchangemybattery.com for more information.”

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/16/16156934/galaxy-note-4-battery-recall-att-fedex

Please bear in mind that this is my first post so I've probably done something wrong xD

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Only phones refurbished through AT&T’s insurance program and handled by FedEx Supply Chain are impacted by the recall. Some of the refurbished phones apparently ended up with “counterfeit” batteries that include anomalies that could make them overheat.

Yup, Samsung shouldn't really take the blame for this. Seems more of an AT&T problem if anything.

4 minutes ago, Haaselh0ff said:

Yup, Samsung shouldn't really take the blame for this. Seems more of an AT&T problem if anything.

Well Samsung are blaming FedEx as they managed the refurbishment, but it is easy for the media to say it was Samsung's fault as they don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to overheating and recalls

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

rip, there's a lot of people in Asia still with Galaxy Note 4s. A lot are still on the Note 3.

People really don't seem to feel the need to upgrade do they? Well, more power to them if they actually don't feel the need to.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It seems odd that the refurbishments were handled by FedEx, no?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

rip, there's a lot of people in Asia still with Galaxy Note 4s. A lot are still on the Note 3.

People really don't seem to feel the need to upgrade do they? Well, more power to them if they actually don't feel the need to.

The Snapdragon 800 is still faster than many low end Cortex A53 based chips today with a reasonably potent GPU. I would say it's more than sufficient to handle basic usages.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

No offense to the OP - fine reporting on your behalf, but lord do I hate the verge. They're nearly as bad as BGR with their poorly disguised advertisements and propaganda.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I dont think you read the post.

Just now, JAKEBAB said:

I dont think you read the post.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

42 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No offense to the OP - fine reporting on your behalf, but lord do I hate the verge. They're nearly as bad as BGR with their poorly disguised advertisements and propaganda.

I too despise The Verge. In fact, to be honest, I don't really trust any of the mainstream tech sites anymore, they're all becoming just advertisements.

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue