Friend's PC Windows 10 Black Screen

My friend's windows 10 pc is booting into a black screen after the log in.

His specs are:

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz

2x4gb ram (he doesn't know the specific brand)

GTX 980

Motherboard unknown.

He ran a virus scan and it's clear now, but when he gets past the log in screen, all he gets is a cursor with a black background - no taskbar, no start menu, nothing. He can get into task manager and that's how he's able to run some programs, but we can't find a solution to the issue.

We went through a few troubleshooting steps, like someone suggested that it could be detecting his onboard graphics as a second screen, so going through the win+p menu, but that didn't work. We went through reinstalling the graphics driver, but that didn't work, booting into safe mode still doesn't show the taskbar or start menu.

Any suggestions?

Running windows 10 64-bit, creators update

16 hours ago, Probably_Harry said:

His specs are:

GTX 980

Motherboard unknown.

He ran a virus scan and it's clear now, but when he gets past the log in screen, all he gets is a cursor with a black background - no taskbar, no start menu, nothing. He can get into task manager and that's how he's able to run some programs, but we can't find a solution to the issue.

We went through a few troubleshooting steps, like someone suggested that it could be detecting his onboard graphics as a second screen, so going through the win+p menu, but that didn't work. We went through reinstalling the graphics driver, but that didn't work, booting into safe mode still doesn't show the taskbar or start menu.

Any suggestions?

16 hours ago, Probably_Harry said:

His specs are:

GTX 980

Motherboard unknown.

Any suggestions?

have heard a lot problems with creators update , i recommend reinstallng windows and instantly disabling windows updates from services.msc , thats how you secure your pc from shit windows updates