R5 1600 OC for Gaming yes or no?

Hello!

Yesterday i finally (with the help of this forum) finished my build, netting it at around 1.400 € on the parts!

Here is the final list:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/nJTNCy

Now i have stable 25 °C Idle and 33 °C load temps on my R5 when playing i.e. PUBG. 

Currently i do not have touched my RAM nor CPU Settings regarding an OC.

Is it for purly gaming a good idea to OC my CPU/RAM combination?

If yes how should i go for that? I have never done such things, could you give me some help with it?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Use the aXMP profile for 2933. You should see improvements there.

You can also OC the CPU. Doesn't hurt. At worst, you won't see noticeable improvements

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

Use the aXMP profile for 2933. You should see improvements there.

You can also OC the CPU. Doesn't hurt. At worst, you won't see noticeable improvements

Can i XMP the RAM without OC the CPU? Is it true that i just have to input the RAM to 2933, set the voltage and timings related to the specifications right?

So its not that huge of an performance improvment for gaming?

Update the UIFI if you didn't done that yet.

For the RAM you would be fine if the XMP profile works, if not try to set the timings (15-17-17-35)  manually first since many people reported that for some reason the profile don't load correctly. After that without more knowledge about RAM clocking I wouldn't bother anyfurther, as it would already run quite fast compared to many others.

For CPU overlocking ... sure you should do that! I have a R5 1600 for my self and simply run on stock voltages but with 3,6GHz on all cores (didn't bothered with higher voltages since my Mobo Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX has world crappiest heatsink ever and I currently wait for a new one in the mail)  after that I will opt for a mild voltage bump with hopefully 3,8GHz since in my opinion thats quite a sweet spot for performance and stability.

1 minute ago, safredAAs said:

Can i XMP the RAM without OC the CPU? Is it true that i just have to input the RAM to 2933, set the voltage and timings related to the specifications right?

So its not that huge of an performance improvment for gaming?

using the memory at 2933 will show performance improvement. You don't need to OC the CPU to use aXMP

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

1 minute ago, Narnash said:

For the RAM you would be fine if the XMP profile works, if not try to set the timings (15-17-17-35)  manually first since many people reported that for some reason the profile don't load correctly. After that without more knowledge about RAM clocking I wouldn't bother, would already run quite fast compared to many others.

For CPU overlocking sure you should do that! I have a R5 1600 for my self and simply run on stock voltages but with 3,6GHz on all cores (didn't bothered with higher voltages since my Mobo Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX has world crappiest heatsink ever and I currently wait for a new one in the mail) 

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

using the memory at 2933 will show performance improvement. You don't need to OC the CPU to use aXMP

My UEFI version is currently 0809.

Alright after i get home from work i will try to OC the RAM with the XMP. If that doesn't work i will try the manual settings of the timings. Should i increase the voltage fro the RAM's aswell?

So i just increase the multiplier to run it at i.e. 3,7 GHz core? Should i then run a stress test or not? 

Or should i use the Ryzen Master for OC?

Sorry for all the questions, new to that stuff :D

Just now, safredAAs said:

Alright after i get home from work i will try to OC the RAM with the XMP. If that doesn't work i will try the manual settings of the timings. Should i increase the voltage fro the RAM's aswell?

So i just increase the multiplier to run it at i.e. 3,7 GHz core? Should i then run a stress test or not? 

Update UEFI first.

No reason why XMP shouldn't work. All you need to do is activate it and set it to the highest speed profile and you're done.

I'm running just fine at 3.75GHz and 1.34V (my sample isn't much of an overclocker, so yeah.)

I've overclocked from the UEFI. Couldn't be bothered with Ryzen Master.

Always stress test to see if the OC is stable

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

3 minutes ago, safredAAs said:

You only should touch the RAM voltage if you have to.

It's not garanteed to run on stock voltage on 3,7GHZ or so but it doesn't hurt to try, run a stress test of your taste and try some games with none competititve gameplay. There are some options that can increase stability on AM4 like disabling C state 6, LLC level 2 (load line calibration, which is basicly a voltage offset curve depending on load) and so on like on any platform. I would just advise to watch 1 or 2 videos about AM4 overclocking which you can try by yourself afterwards (just don't disable major safety settings :D). As long you don't push the limits it should be pretty straight forward to achieve 3,6 GHz- 3,8Ghz stable with only a moderate voltage bump (thermals shouldn't be an issue with that cooler).

14 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Update UEFI first.

I quickly looked it up. Apperently 0809 is the most recent.

I am overclocking my R5 1600 for single core performance increase that some games still seem to like.
Even if games support more than 1 core it would benefit, map load times have gone down.
Make sure everything is updated though especially the BIOS so your RAM can have better performance.

My online gaming usually involves PvP or online PvE so paired with a good internet connection you make good use out of overclocking.
Load times are better and with a M.2 I also have nice 35-40 second boot time what is not bad at all.

4 hours ago, safredAAs said:

Hello!

Yesterday i finally (with the help of this forum) finished my build, netting it at around 1.400 € on the parts!

Here is the final list:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/nJTNCy

Now i have stable 25 °C Idle and 33 °C load temps on my R5 when playing i.e. PUBG. 

Currently i do not have touched my RAM nor CPU Settings regarding an OC.

Is it for purly gaming a good idea to OC my CPU/RAM combination?

If yes how should i go for that? I have never done such things, could you give me some help with it?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Hello, i have the same mobo and basically the same RAM (higher binned kit)

In Asus UEFI, which has really good compatibility with Hynix memory as i or you have, you have to activate the D.O.C.P profile, it is very easy and if you dont want to fuck around with manual tuning like me for 5 hours you have everything right outta factory.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

19 hours ago, Narnash said:

For the RAM you would be fine if the XMP profile works, if not try to set the timings (15-17-17-35)  manually first since many people reported that for some reason the profile don't load correctly. After that without more knowledge about RAM clocking I wouldn't bother anyfurther, as it would already run quite fast compared to many others.

For CPU overlocking ... sure you should do that! I have a R5 1600 for my self and simply run on stock voltages but with 3,6GHz on all cores (didn't bothered with higher voltages since my Mobo Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX has world crappiest heatsink ever and I currently wait for a new one in the mail)  after that I will opt for a mild voltage bump with hopefully 3,8GHz since in my opinion thats quite a sweet spot for performance and stability.

19 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

16 hours ago, HisEvilness said:

I am overclocking my R5 1600 for single core performance increase that some games still seem to like.
Even if games support more than 1 core it would benefit, map load times have gone down.
Make sure everything is updated though especially the BIOS so your RAM can have better performance.

My online gaming usually involves PvP or online PvE so paired with a good internet connection you make good use out of overclocking.
Load times are better and with a M.2 I also have nice 35-40 second boot time what is not bad at all.

15 hours ago, dave_k said:

Hello, i have the same mobo and basically the same RAM (higher binned kit)

In Asus UEFI, which has really good compatibility with Hynix memory as i or you have, you have to activate the D.O.C.P profile, it is very easy and if you dont want to fuck around with manual tuning like me for 5 hours you have everything right outta factory.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yesterday i tried that out with D.O.C.P and got my LPX running at 2933 mHz! After the usual first boot cycle the OC was applied and the system runned very smoothly. I also played 2 rounds of Battlegrounds that night and it all went flawless.

As i then started the pc this morning, it again did 4 boot cycles, just briefly turning on and off. After that it said that its now posting in secure mode because of system insatability. I then went into the UEFI and reverted the DOCP. Then it booted completly fine into windows.

Did i do something wrong?

1 hour ago, safredAAs said:

Yesterday i tried that out with D.O.C.P and got my LPX running at 2933 mHz! After the usual first boot cycle the OC was applied and the system runned very smoothly. I also played 2 rounds of Battlegrounds that night and it all went flawless.

As i then started the pc this morning, it again did 4 boot cycles, just briefly turning on and off. After that it said that its now posting in secure mode because of system insatability. I then went into the UEFI and reverted the DOCP. Then it booted completly fine into windows.

Dial in the memory timings manually,

DRAM speed 2933

DRAM Voltage 1.35V

Timings

Cas latency 15 

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

7 hours ago, safredAAs said:

Set ram volts to 1.375 as well that helped me being stable at 3200mhz.