Do mouse pads REALLY matter?

I have a mouse pad that is supposed to be really good with the g502, is this true or is it just advertising  and did i just buy $30 for a 20x30cm peice of cloth that benifits me in no way ?

I stopped using a pad 8 years ago, table surface is fine for a mouse and there are no movement limiting edges to watch out for.

Just now, MysticLTT said:

I stopped using a pad 8 years ago, table surface is fine for a mouse and there are no movement limiting edges to watch out for.

Movement is a lot smoother on a mousepad, at least for me.  It also doesn't wear down the bottom of the mouse.

I just use a promotional mousepad my mom got over 10 years ago from some CPA certification course.  It works fine.  Of course I also use a $1 keyboard I got from the thrift store (perfect condition though), because I don't really see the benefit in super fancy tech that doesn't really have a huge effect on performance.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

22 minutes ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

I have a mouse pad that is supposed to be really good with the g502, is this true or is it just advertising  and did i just buy $30 for a 20x30cm peice of cloth that benifits me in no way ?

To some limitation, it is true that mousepad will help you in gaming (smoother movement and slightly lesser wear and tear on the bottom of your mouse). Other than that, seriously I don't think so.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

I can definitely tell the difference between a quality mouse mat and a cheap one. The movement is a lot smoother and the tracking is also better on quality mats. Also cheap mats tend to come apart very fast.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

I use a gaming mat (a wide one for pretty much whole table) simply because my hands sweat a lot and therefor keeps the table in good condition too. Also the surface is more pleasant than just the table.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

8 minutes ago, StaffCorporal said:

Also cheap mats tend to come apart very fast.

11-12 years of regular use and my promotional mousepad has held together just fine. o.O

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

CBelieve me, your skill with the mouse stops you WAY before you need to consider changing your mousepad.

That said, comfort is the most important factor and if a mousepad helps deter strains...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

For me, I always use one however that comes after 2 years of not using one on a wooden desk. Ended up polishing the desk smooth in that area from not having a mouse pad then noticed the mouse was having trouble tracking on the surface.

I find it depends on the surface you're using.

My table works just fine for my Steelseries Diablo 3 but my other mice have tracking issues due to the texture

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I use the SteelSeries 4HD. It's a durable hard plastic mousepad that has lasted me for the past 4 years and still looks brand new. Compared to other mouse pads (e.g. Sentey, many cloth pads) that began to show wear within months. It's so good that I bought another one for my wife's gaming setup too. 

I prefer this over using the table because the gliding friction doesn't feel right and it will inevitably lead to unsightly wear marks on the wood surface. It used to be a necessity when I was using a glass desk with metallic keyboard tray since smooth reflective/transparent surfaces suck for optical (and perhaps laser) tracking. I generally avoid cloth now because they tend to fray on the edges and they're sponges for debris and liquids. With the 4HD, I can simply wipe it clean and and it will never fray. 

7 hours ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

It's true, but it's also just advertising.

Do mouse sensors behave differently on different surfaces? Yes.

Are gaming mice sensors typically optimized poorly for multi-surface use? Yes.

Will the texture of a mousepad help the sensor track position more accurately and help the mouse glide more smoothly? Yes

Will any of this meaningfully change your performance in game? Not likely unless:

A) you're insanely skilled.

B) you're desk has a really poor surface like glass.

My Logitech MX518 works better / smoother with dark gray / black mouse pads. I have an A4Tech X7 Gaming mouse pad (some cheap $10 thing) that works great for my mouse.

Though I admit I'm not a serious gamer and don't care about high dpi and all that super fast reaction times and all that.

8 hours ago, Droidbot said:

I use a SteelSeries QcK+ because 

a) it's comfortable

b) muh mouse glide

I use the exact same pad, has the perfect size with good build quality.

I have a 10 year old Diamondback and always just used the table surface. Then a year ago I got one of those mouse and keyboard mats thrown in for free with a graphics card purchase; it's actually a decent cloth one.

At first I thought something had happened to my mouse as I just couldn't control it any more; then I realised that that is just the way it was always supposed to be and I hadn't been getting the full experience for almost a decade. Thing is I'd used mouse mats before on and off, but never a really good quality one.

So as far as my experience goes, table = standard cheap mouse mat <<<<<<<<<<<expensive cloth mouse mat.

That said, I know that new mice have stupidly high DPI and software to allow them to make better use of your table top, but personally I'd never go back. Cloth mat feels nicer to use the mouse on too.