CPU Utilization

MenSuRx

I just recently clean resetted by computer, all drives. But after resetting it, the CPU seems to acting quite weird, The CPU utilization seems to be jumping from 1% to 20% at idle, going from 2.6ghz to 3.4ghz. In the power management options, I've set that my minimum and maximum processing would be at 100% when plugged in. I did this because when the minimum processing was at 5%, the CPU utilization would be jumping around from 1% to 100%. Also sometimes, when I open something like Chrome and check my CPU usage, it would be at 100% and lag for approximately 3-5 seconds. This has never happened before the reset. Also before the reset, my CPU usage would be at around 18% utilization always and would stay constantly around 3.2ghz. I have also updated my bios to the latest.

Is there some issue with my computer?

i7-6700HQ

16GB RAM

256SSD + 1TB HDD

1 minute ago, Batteries Included said:

Check your power options. Is it balanced or performance? 

I don't have the performance option, Just Balanced or Power Saver. It is at Balanced.

There is a toggle which says Show additional plans and there will be the performance option.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

It could be background Windows processes.

Could be, but why is it fluctuating now when previously I had more background processes and then it stayed a constant around 3.2ghz

Just now, MenSuRx said:

Could be, but why is it fluctuating now when previously I had more background processes and then it stayed a constant around 3.2ghz

It's random. Are you running a fresh install still or have you loaded it up?

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

It's random. Are you running a fresh install still or have you loaded it up?

No, all I did was a clean reset of my drives into factory settings.

Just now, MenSuRx said:

No, all I did was a clean reset of my drives into factory settings.

So you didn't reinstall Windows?

1 minute ago, Kilobytez95 said:

So you didn't reinstall Windows?

I did not

7 minutes ago, nicknfs said:

There is a toggle which says Show additional plans and there will be the performance option.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I have changed the power settings to High Performance. Although I am very confident that my power settings was at Balanced before.

I believe, this has changed it somewhat to increase the processing speed, I haven't seen it go below 3ghz as often now, but it still fluctuates really crazily.

Taskmgr_2017-08-17_17-04-14.png

Just now, MenSuRx said:

I have changed the power settings to High Performance. Although I am very confident that my power settings was at Balanced before.

I believe, this has changed it somewhat to increase the processing speed, I haven't seen it go below 3ghz as often now, but it still fluctuates really crazily.

Taskmgr_2017-08-17_17-04-14.png

Switch task manager to view logical threads instead of one graph. You can get a better view of what each core is currently being loaded. I would also recommend you check the details tab and see what's running in the background. Don't try and close any system tasks (you shouldn't be able to anyways).

Huh you have 173 processes running. My pc has a pretty good amount of junk on it and rn only 114 processes.

13 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Switch task manager to view logical threads instead of one graph. You can get a better view of what each core is currently being loaded. I would also recommend you check the details tab and see what's running in the background. Don't try and close any system tasks (you shouldn't be able to anyways).

6 minutes ago, nicknfs said:

Huh you have 173 processes running. My pc has a pretty good amount of junk on it and rn only 114 processes.

What should I do to cut this down? All I've done since factory resetting my computer is download and install Google Chrome and Spotify, both of which I had before.

Taskmgr_2017-08-17_17-23-21.png

Just now, MenSuRx said:

What should I do to cut this down? All I've done since factory resetting my computer is download and install Google Chrome and Spotify, both of which I had before.

Taskmgr_2017-08-17_17-23-21.png

It's hard to say unless I know everything running on your PC at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

It's hard to say unless I know everything running on your PC at the moment.

Will be a bit difficult to show you all 177 processes running since theres just way too much to screenshot and upload. Well as long as there is no problem with my computer I can just work with it. I'm just concerned as this just doesn't feel right as it didn't do this previously.

1 minute ago, MenSuRx said:

Will be a bit difficult to show you all 177 processes running since theres just way too much to screenshot and upload. Well as long as there is no problem with my computer I can just work with it. I'm just concerned as this just doesn't feel right as it didn't do this previously.

If your CPU usage is under 20% then you should be fine. You should only really worry about it if it's really high and causing massive performance issues. If you really can't stand it then reinstall Windows and check your CPU usage after each program you install that way you can zero in on the culprit.

1 minute ago, Kilobytez95 said:

If your CPU usage is under 20% then you should be fine. You should only really worry about it if it's really high and causing massive performance issues. If you really can't stand it then reinstall Windows and check your CPU usage after each program you install that way you can zero in on the culprit.

By under 20%, that is when its idle correct?. Also should the occasional spike to 40-60% be a concern?

22 hours ago, MenSuRx said:

By under 20%, that is when its idle correct?. Also should the occasional spike to 40-60% be a concern?

I sometimes see 100% spikes when launching apps like task manger and chrome. Totally normal.