Virus related questions

Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,
10 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Can I safely copy files to a USB drive?

Yes, as long as those files don't contain the actual virus

(Ex. Don't copy your entire downloads folder, if the downloads folder contains the virus you downloaded)

11 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Someone already told me to only copy over the most important files, so How would a virus manage to get on the USB drive?  Should I copy the minimum amount of files to avoid accidentally copying the folder that the virus is in?

Not really, just don't be stupid in the stuff you copy.

don't copy any program files, no executables that aren't confirmed safe, etc.

12 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Or can viruses somehow detect a USB drive and jump onto it?

Technically, yeah, I guess, but it's really hard. 99.9% of viruses (virii?) don't do it. I wouldn't be worried about it.

13 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Could a virus get on the USB drive if I only copied individual files/pictures?

See above.

Technically, yeah, but 99.9% of viruses don't do it because they're too dumb/simple.

( not sure which sub forum to post this in, sorry if it is the wrong one) 

I recently discovered a virus on my laptop, so I am planning a hard drive reformat/OS reinstall so I have some questions, 

Someone already told me to only copy over the most important files, so How would a virus manage to get on the USB drive?  Should I copy the minimum amount of files to avoid accidentally copying the folder that the virus is in?

These are all the questions I can think of so far if anybody knows the answers I would greatly appreciate you telling me, thank  you for your time.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

I myself would just copy things over to the USB, then scan it with anti-virus when I plug it into another computer (with auto-play disabled). If you are worried then you can install a sandbox on another PC and access the USB there. If the USB is infected, all the damage will stay within the sandbox, which can be easily deleted and wiped.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Back up up your files to an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Normally when you reinstall the OS it will give you the option to either 'keep my files' or "clear all data".

10 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

(Ex. Don't copy your entire downloads folder, if the downloads folder contains the virus you downloaded)

11 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Technically, yeah, I guess, but it's really hard. 99.9% of viruses (virii?) don't do it. I wouldn't be worried about it.

13 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

See above.

Technically, yeah, but 99.9% of viruses don't do it because they're too dumb/simple.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

See above.

Agreed.  Most virus payloads that will look for network drives or USB are crypto's or worms(I haven't seen a really prolific worm since Conficker?  Although someone correct me)

If you have a crypto you wouldn't be copying your files anywhere!

15 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I myself would just copy things over to the USB, then scan it with anti-virus when I plug it into another computer (with auto-play disabled). If you are worried then you can install a sandbox on another PC and access the USB there. If the USB is infected, all the damage will stay within the sandbox, which can be easily deleted and wiped.

Ok, thanks for the advice, will copy and scan.

10 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Back up up your files to an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Normally when you reinstall the OS it will give you the option to either 'keep my files' or "clear all data".

I do NOT want to keep everything, that would probably keep the virus as well, :P

7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

See above.

Thanks for the answers! I have been wondering for a long time!

3 minutes ago, dmuirhead said:

Agreed.  Most virus payloads that will look for network drives or USB are crypto's or worms(I haven't seen a really prolific worm since Conficker?  Although someone correct me)

If you have a crypto you wouldn't be copying your files anywhere!

Malware bytes said "Backdoor.bot" I am guessing that is not a crypto/worm?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

6 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Ok, thanks for the advice, will copy and scan.

I do NOT want to keep everything, that would probably keep the virus as well, :P

Thanks for the answers! I have been wondering for a long time!

Malware bytes said "Backdoor.bot" I am guessing that is not a crypto/worm?

Sounds very much like this to me. A Trojan Horse's aim is to create a "backdoor" into your PC so the attacker can execute commands remotely.  They are usually used to install fake AV software or enroll you into a botnet to do things like perform a DDoS without you even knowing it, or bitcoin mine for them.

Just remember that these don't come out of nowhere and must be downloaded somehow.  Be wary on recent emails/downloads if you have not yet established the case.

FYI, Crypto viruses encrypt all of your data with AES256 bit encryption with a 2048 bit RSA hash.  The creator of the so called ransomware will not release your files until you pay the $$$.  only way to get around that is to have a backup and wipe your machine.  Take a look at what happened to the NHS (UK) A while ago.

Worms are commonly used by spammers to infect high quantities of PCs with the goal of sending emails, or joining a botnet for the aforementioned nefarious deeds.

27 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

That makes me wonder, *how* do virii get on computers? Would you have to download it? I read somewhere that an unprotected computer could get a virus within minutes of connecting to the Internet. How is that? Just plug in the computer, load up YouTube home page and BAM! You have I virus?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

Just now, TheClueLessMajority said:

That makes me wonder, *how* do virii get on computers? Would you have to download it? I read somewhere that an unprotected computer could get a virus within minutes of connecting to the Internet. How is that? Just plug in the computer, load up YouTube home page and BAM! You have I virus?

No, 99.9% of viruses come from email or downloads.  Also, you would have to run the virus.  And if you have Windows UAC (always turn it on!!!) then you would have had to have allowed it to run via the big pop up boxes on your screen which hide your desktop and just display the window (that part is called the secure desktop)

5 minutes ago, dmuirhead said:

Sounds very much like this to me. A Trojan Horse's aim is to create a "backdoor" into your PC so the attacker can execute commands remotely.  They are usually used to install fake AV software or enroll you into a botnet to do things like perform a DDoS without you even knowing it, or bitcoin mine for them.

Just remember that these don't come out of nowhere and must be downloaded somehow.  Be wary on recent emails/downloads if you have not yet established the case.

FYI, Crypto viruses encrypt all of your data with AES256 bit encryption with a 2048 bit RSA hash.  The creator of the so called ransomware will not release your files until you pay the $$$.  only way to get around that is to have a backup and wipe your machine.  Take a look at what happened to the NHS (UK) A while ago.

Worms are commonly used by spammers to infect high quantities of PCs with the goal of sending emails, or joining a botnet for the aforementioned nefarious deeds.

I have downloaded a lot of mods in the past, could the site send one download to the downloads folder and also download a virus and send it somewhere less noticeable? ( I certainly hope it did not come from a mod itself, that could mean my Desktop is infected also. . .) 

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

I've never heard of anything like that.  It sounds like you download lots and probably run lots of .exe files so unless you are careful about what you download & where from its fairly inevitable that you will get a virus

11 minutes ago, dmuirhead said:

No, 99.9% of viruses come from email or downloads.  Also, you would have to run the virus.  And if you have Windows UAC (always turn it on!!!) then you would have had to have allowed it to run via the big pop up boxes on your screen which hide your desktop and just display the window (that part is called the secure desktop)

I have the UAC set so sensitive it pops up if I try to open a Task Manager.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

9 minutes ago, dmuirhead said:

It sounds like you download lots and probably run lots of .exe files

Yes :(, but I can't remember running any sketchy ones recently, which may mean the virus/whatever has been there a while I'm worried now. . .

also, just curious why/how does it say "FloatPlane Pilot" for your account when it says "Member" for me? I'm getting ideas. . .

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

3 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

I have downloaded a lot of mods in the past, could the site send one download to the downloads folder and also download a virus and send it somewhere less noticeable? ( I certainly hope it did not come from a mod itself, that could mean my Desktop is infected also. . .) 

mods are definitely sometimes viruses.

if you're modding/torrenting a lot, definitely make sure all your stuff is backed up, and make system images often.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

I love it.

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

If you're modding/torrenting a lot, definitely make sure all your stuff is backed up, and make system images often.

I've slowed down the modding recently (I can spend 2 days making something "very nice" and then use if for a week or I could just settle for "nice" and save myself the time) and I have never tried torrenting, but with this incident I am going to be *MUCH* more careful with what I download. Although, silver lining, the hard drive reformat will help with my "62 gigabytes free" problem. . .

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

9 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Yes :(, but I can't remember running any sketchy ones recently, which may mean the virus/whatever has been there a while I'm worried now. . .

also, just curious why/how does it say "FloatPlane Pilot" for your account when it says "Member" for me? I'm getting ideas. . .

I'm a member of the Floatplane club :-)

6 hours ago, dmuirhead said:

I'm a member of the Floatplane club :-)

Oh, it's from being in a club? Ok thanks.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

3 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Oh, it's from being in a club? Ok thanks.

Yeh it's LMG's subscription model, it's like £3.99/month and you get early access to videos and they are downloadable and higher quality. 

On August 16, 2017 at 10:38 PM, RadiatingLight said:

10 hours ago, dmuirhead said:

Yeh it's LMG's subscription model, it's like £3.99/month and you get early access to videos and they are downloadable and higher quality. 

Thank you all for your help! If I have any more questions would either of you mind if I asked you? (So I don't have to start a new thread for 1 question)

Edit: also, just going to hit all the buttons that look like they might be helpful. . .

Edited by TheClueLessMajority
Additional information.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

Thank you all for your help! If I have any more questions would either of you mind if I asked you? (So I don't have to start a new thread for 1 question)

Edit: also, just going to hit all the buttons that look like they might be helpful. . .

yeah sure! no problem!

Desktop:

Laptop: