Best switch for rheumatic issues

Selgald

Hey,

so it is time that I need to throw away my old G510s and get a new Keyboard mainly for gaming.

I already put some time into research this subject and right now I think I have to choose between Cherry MX Red and Romer-G.

Since I have some rheumatic issues with my hands pressing and hold a key for a long time hurts, like sprinting for 2 minutes in PUBG or sometimes there is no "power" in my hands.

So I found out that Romer G already recognizes your input even if you have not fully pressed the key (that's good for me) but several people said that for holding a key Cherry MX Red is the better choice.

I asked Logitech already but just got some PR gibberish response back, so if anyone here is more into the technical details and could help me with my choice that would be nice :)

Selgald

This is probably going to be an annoying answer but the best thing for you would really be to try and see if you can find a couple of keyboards to type on.  If you're looking at the actuation points, Cherry MX switches and Romer Gs both have fairly similar actuation points.  I just upgraded from a membrane keyboard to a keyboard with MX browns (which have the same actuation force and distance as reds but are "tactile") and I'm finding I hardly have to press the keys to actuate.  It's great. But I believe that MX Speed switches have the smallest distance for actuation of all the Cherry switches (the same distance as Romer Gs).

I tried Romer Gs and I find them to be a bit "stiff" at the top up to the actuation point.  For me it was a little less comfortable to type on, but I guess if you trained yourself to type differently that's not really an issue.

Have you maybe considered specially ergonomic keyboards as well?  I have a Microsoft Sculpt at work which uses laptop style low-profile membrane switches, and has a big comfortable wrist rest.  I was told by the ergonomic consultant that work hired (I got it for RSI I was getting) that what they now consider best for wrist damage type problems are the "chiclet" type keys because you don't want too much travel...Honestly it's probably the most comfortable keyboard I've used for typing; would probably be less great for gaming through...

I guess I have to search for a store where I can try them out ^^

An ergonomic keyboard won't help, the issue is not the position of the hands, it's the power needed to press and/or hold a key.

Sometimes you get really weak hands for a few weeks where pressing a key or holding a pen is very hard.

So if a key is easy to trigger or to hold that's good.

In that case I'd definitely say mechanical keys have much less travel to actuate than any membrane (in my experience), and look like the way to go for you. I hope you find something comfortable!

8 hours ago, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

In that case I'd definitely say mechanical keys have much less travel to actuate than any membrane (in my experience), and look like the way to go for you. I hope you find something comfortable!

I bought the G810 now, I will report back if its good when it arrvies next week ^^

Nice!  My brother has that board and he loves it.  It's really well built.  If you like the feel of the Romer Gs, I'm sure you'll like it. :) 

2 hours ago, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

Nice!  My brother has that board and he loves it.  It's really well built.  If you like the feel of the Romer Gs, I'm sure you'll like it. :) 

Did he bought an additional wrist pad? If I read correctly they dont have one included ^^

He didn't but he's generally not too bothered with posture/wrist issues and just props his wrists up on a tablet... :/

It doesn't come with one, so I'd advise buying one if you tend to use them.

So I got it now and it feels amazing , it is way easier to press and hold keys. I only need half the "power" to hold a button and thats very nice.

But it feels like that every key a bit more left as I was used to, but that will fix itself over time ^^

So for everyone with rheumatic issues in their fingers/hand I can highly recommend Romer G switches.

Cherry MX Speed have the shortest travel distance (1.2mm). Sometimes it annoys me that the slightest touch will register as a keystroke. You dont need to hold down the key that much so you should really consider them if you have rheumatic issues.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire