High refresh makes vsync obsolete?

orangecat

So I have a PG258Q and it has a 240Hz refresh rate and I'm currently using an RX 460 because I'm unable to use my GTX 970. Anyways I've noticed it always looks like vsync on regardless if it's turned off or not. I can obviously tell I'm not using G-Sync at the moment but I can't see any tearing at all even if I know vsync is disabled for sure. Kinda makes me wonder why anyone would even want vsync on such a high refresh rate display.

4 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

So I have a PG258Q and it has a 240Hz refresh rate and I'm currently using an RX 460 because I'm unable to use my GTX 970. Anyways I've noticed it always looks like vsync on regardless if it's turned off or not. I can obviously tell I'm not using G-Sync at the moment but I can't see any tearing at all even if I know vsync is disabled for sure. Kinda makes me wonder why anyone would even want vsync on such a high refresh rate display.

Tears only stay on the screen for a very short amount of time at 240 Hz, so they'd be more difficult to notice even if they showed up.

To not burn their graphics cards down? That's exaggerated I know, but getting 2000+ fps in the menu screen is just wasting power.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

To not burn their graphics cards down? That's exaggerated I know, but getting 2000+ fps in the menu screen is just wasting power.

And sometimes it does genuinely make it much smoother, at least at 60 hz.  Perhaps at higher refresh rates the effect is diminished but if it ever exists, it should exist at all speeds.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, Kilobytez95 said:

What games are you talking about?  At 1080p 144Hz with a GTX1060 in Dishonored 2 for example, I notice very definite tearing without V-sync on... So if you aren't seeing tearing with your 460 at 240Hz, then it is because you don't notice it (everyone's tolerance is different), and not because it is not there.  My 1060 "barely copes" with 144Hz in modern AAA games, so there is no way that your 460 is coping with 1080p 240Hz properly I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, thedons1983 said:

What games are you talking about?  At 1080p 144Hz with a GTX1060 in Dishonored 2 for example, I notice very definite tearing without V-sync on... So if you aren't seeing tearing with your 460 at 240Hz, then it is because you don't notice it (everyone's tolerance is different), and not because it is not there.  My 1060 "barely copes" with 144Hz in modern AAA games, so there is no way that your 460 is coping with 1080p 240Hz properly I'm afraid.

It's with any game. Even when the FPS drops to like 40fps I still don't notice any tearing. Mind you I have Vsync set to application controlled and I can tell by the input latency and fps counter when it's enabled or disabled. Normally I notice tearing pretty quick but ever since I bought this monitor I just don't see it anymore.

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

It's with any game. Even when the FPS drops to like 40fps I still don't notice any tearing. Mind you I have Vsync set to application controlled and I can tell by the input latency and fps counter when it's enabled or disabled. Normally I notice tearing pretty quick but ever since I bought this monitor I just don't see it anymore.

I'm glad you don't notice any tearing... But it is definitely still there.  Some people hate V-sync and others (me included) can't cope without it, so as long as the monitor is performing well for you, then it is all good.

Also, lots of games take "application controlled" as V-sync = ON, just so you know.  You normally have to turn V-sync off manually in the in-game menu... And depending on the game, that sometimes still does not work.

1 minute ago, thedons1983 said:

I'm glad you don't notice any tearing... But it is definitely still there.  Some people hate V-sync and others (me included) can't cope without it, so as long as the monitor is performing well for you, then it is all good.

Also, lots of games take "application controlled" as V-sync = ON, just so you know.  You normally have to turn V-sync off manually in the in-game menu... And depending on the game, that sometimes still does not work.

Yea I'm aware of that. I always turn Vsync off manually unless I know the game will definitely run above 240fps at all times like with older titles. I can't wait until i can use my 970 again... i miss gsync.

Honestly... Try Dishonored 2... That thing performs like a hot mess and will tear everywhere without V-sync.  By the way, Nvidia Inspector is really helpful for game settings, as you can manually tweak far more with that, than you can in Nvidia Control Panel, or in-game even.

I have yet to experience G-sync, but I know that I really really want it.  I bought (this year) an Nvidia GPU first, then got a Freesync display after, as it was £300-ish less than the equivalent G-sync panel.  FML!