Vega Mining increased with new beta driver

magnumkobra

Just yesterday, we gave you a quick rundown of Ethereum mining performance on the brand-new Radeon RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 graphics cards (read Dave’s review here). Our initial testing showed both cards trailing an optimized GeForce GTX 1070 FE, while putting up total system power consumption figures that were a bit on the high side.

Fortunately, just as we were expecting, AMD has released a new beta driver that provides a nice boost to block chain compute performance. The new test driver is aptly named, “Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition Beta for Blockchain Compute”. That sure is a mouthful, but what does it entail? AMD offers the following caveats to consider before installing the driver:

• This driver is provided as a beta level support driver which should be considered "as is" and will not be supported with further updates, upgrades or bug fixes
  • This driver is not intended for graphics or gaming workloads
  • Optimized performance for Blockchain Compute Workloads

That last point is all we needed to hear before we decided to break out our Ethereum benchmarking rig, so without further ado, here’s what we found:

Read more at https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-vega-mining-block-chain-ethereum#bXJeCGDJK8zxeYqo.99

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-vega-mining-block-chain-ethereum

Radeon-RX-Vega-Blockchain-Driver-Ethereum-Hashrate.png.1d42b0d9f3414a2dc1b96bc7ef734bc4.png

Well looks like Amd is still caring somewhat about Gpu miners with this new driver . Still if the new price hike is true then it won't be as good as just getting some 580 or 480. Yes I know the formats screwed up but I can't fix it on mobile.

ugh they should just gimp performance when the card detects its given a mining workload. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

ugh they should just gimp performance when the card detects its given a mining workload. 

No, AMD makes great compute cards. It doesn't matter what they are used for. Although I would rather have them try to fix their gaming drivers first but never have them intentionally gimp performance. That's shady.

I am so confused by the hate for miners.

In one thread you have people literally saying you should buy AMD GPUs out of pity because they need money and Nvidia becoming a monopoly would be bad.

Then in the next thread, you got people booing people who are actually buying AMD GPUs because they are good at something and they genuinely want to use AMD GPUs.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

In one thread you have people literally saying you should buy AMD GPUs out of pity because they need money and Nvidia becoming a monopoly would be bad.

Then in the next thread, you got people booing people who are actually buying AMD GPUs because they are good at something and they genuinely want to use AMD GPUs.

When miners artificially raise GPU prices it hurts people trying to build desktops for gaming.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Leave it fucking gimped for 3 months... let the supply stabilize, both AIB's and reference cards then unleash them. You stand a good chance of getting it into the hands of gamers and then the miners get their crack. But instead upon release its gobble gobble time. 

Gamers Nexus was able to get a very good increase in performance with not much power increase.. once the controlling software, drivers and tricks are straightened out (which will probably be before launch) these cards become viable for mining as long as the currency markets keep skyrocketing. The Vega 56 will be more viable.. but Vega 64 will be on the hit parade eventually (much like 1060's have been snapped up and 1070's are now viable for mining).

48 minutes ago, lvh1 said:

Not sure if the miners will care since the power usage is so much higher.

Eh, the Vega 56 will most likely be the go-to for gaming and mining alike. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

I've just tested the driver on my Vega 64 and I get 38MH/s witch a 25% power offset.

Basically RIP stock.

For a more comparative explanation of this as of right this second.

GTX 1080ti ~£2.30 a day

Vega 64 ~£2.10 a day

Vega 64 before driver ~£1.60 a day

Note that with the settings I use the Vega 64 uses less power.

Hell if Vega 56 improves a tad so might pick up a few to mine on.

5 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

I've just tested the driver on my Vega 64 and I get 38MH/s witch a 25% power offset.

Basically RIP stock.

For a more comparative explanation of this as of right this second.

GTX 1080ti ~£2.30 a day

Vega 64 ~£2.10 a day

Vega 64 before driver ~£1.60 a day

Note that with the settings I use the Vega 64 uses less power.

Hell if Vega 56 improves a tad so might pick up a few to mine on.

How in the hell do you already have a Vega 64? Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I ordered the card within like 5 mins of launch, and got next day delivery.

Stock lasted 20minutes in the UK, I could have ordered 3 of them if I wanted.

I didn't because crossfire is practically dead as is SLI.

I can't say I'm surprised, AMD has always been good for compute since GCN started.

I see this as AMD doing their best to move cards before Navi, they're aware vega isn't what gamers want. 

IMO, vega is a short term transitional card. Navi will incorporate new tech from vega and MCM from ryzen.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

18 minutes ago, Terryv said:

I can't say I'm surprised, AMD has always been good for compute since GCN started.

I see this as AMD doing their best to move cards before Navi, they're aware vega isn't what gamers want. 

IMO, vega is a short term transitional card. Navi will incorporate new tech from vega and MCM from ryzen.

The problem isn't the hardware tech, it is the software. Navi will be just as much of a dud if they don't improve their gaming drivers.

yes daddy boost those mining numbers more so that 1060's drop in price damnit

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

39 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

The problem isn't the hardware tech, it is the software. Navi will be just as much of a dud if they don't improve their gaming drivers.

Agreed, since vega requires a new driver branch. Probably will come with AIB cards release

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Lel

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Ehh Vega was completely dead to me the second I heard it bricks when flashing. Let the miners get their fun i guess. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Got to sell cards somehow. 

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Gamers Nexus did a pretty good video about electricity cost for Vega 56 vs 1070... and this is stock. Depending on the region and tweaks the 56 is certainly a viable miner. 

So between AMD having the ability to keep miners away from the Vega series cards for a few months, but choosing not too.. and NVidia making the NVidia tax exorbitant  so switch/buy in to the green family is incredibly pricey its frustrating. Either you are gonna get skull fucked or ass raped, pick your poison. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What are you even confused about?

There are those out there, that would like to get one of those card, for their builds. Yet these miners are ruining it for others, by snatching up everything, which leads to low stock, and jacked up prices. It's good that amd are selling their cards, but they are just selling it, as if only miners exist on this planet and there is no one else. You really think miners carding about amd cards. They don't care about amd cards, they only care about the cards that gives them the best MH/s. If some company makes a card that has 10x the MH/s of the Vega 64, those miners will immediately flock to that new card, and leave amd in the dust. 

If you're in the need of a new gpu and would like to get a vega 64. And miners are grabbing everything. You still going to be glad amd is selling, while you can't get anything. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, S.Stephenson said:

I ordered the card within like 5 mins of launch, and got next day delivery.

Stock lasted 20minutes in the UK, I could have ordered 3 of them if I wanted.

I didn't because crossfire is practically dead as is SLI.

is that with hbm2 overclock?, it should help a lot