Graphic Card Memory Price Spike

linustouchtips

Digitimes reports that the cost of memory has gone up due to the manufacturers (Samsung, Sk Hynik, Micron) prioritizing building memory for servers and handsets. Samsung one of the largest manufacturers of memory isn't expecting to ramp up production of vram until the fourth quarter.

August quotes for RAMs used in VGA graphics cards have risen to US$8.50, up by 30.8% from US$6.50 in July

Sources from the upstream supply chain expect the pricing to go even higher in September and the shortages will pose a great challenge to graphics card and gaming notebook players over their abilities to handle component inventory

This looks to be another contributing factor to the always awful gpu prices as of late. The rise in vram will definitely keep climbing will it stop i hope it does. I feel terrible for all the new builders out there just trying to get into pc gaming. The cost even for very basic gaming cards will be astronomical.  Buy them while they are cheap folks its going to get bad. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

story: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/graphics-card-memory-prices-spike-by-30.html

source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170816PD205.html?mod=2

Edited by GoodBytes
Polished

RAMs used in VGA graphics cards. 

Pretty sure it is due to all the miners buying cards, then amd and novideo making more cards, and since there is more demand the prices rise, and now the vram price has rised :(

now novideo has an excuse to rise the prices by $50 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

This looks to be another contributing factor to the always awful gpu prices as of late. Buy them while they are cheap folks its going to get bad. 

Let's just hope my GPU doesn't die on me anytime soon then... I want to keep my 1080 for a while, but I seem to have hit a streak of bad luck recently...

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

5 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

This looks to be another contributing factor to the always awful gpu prices as of late. Buy them while they are cheap folks its going to get bad

I think one of my questions is how much is this GDDR5(X) and how much of this is HBM... Unfortunately the article isn't very specific except mentioning lower tier NVidia cards that use GDDR5. 

Well we were already aware of global RAM shortages driving the price of that up, I guess it affects VRAM too.  Makes sense I guess

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

I think one of my questions is how much is this GDDR5(X) and how much of this is HBM... Unfortunately the article isn't very specific except mentioning lower tier NVidia cards that use GDDR5. 

from what i gathered it was just a quick example of older series cards. It ends with this which is true for the newer forms "The higher-end the models, the higher costs they command" i feel gddr5x and hbm2 is going to cost more. 

49 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

Buy them while they are cheap folks its going to get bad. 

Um...

They're not cheap right now.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Um...

They're not cheap right now.

Let me rephrase that buy them at an acceptable price. 

33 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

Let me rephrase that buy them at an acceptable price if money is no object.

Ftfy

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, linustouchtips said:

get a small loan of a million dollars to buy a card there i think thats better idk

Need that much in Nvidia stock before purchase.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Awww sh!t, it's impossible to buy a low/medium budget gaming PC, ram and ssd prices are insane, GPUs are a myth, we are transitioning to hexa core CPUs and they are somewhat expensive, any quad core doesn't seem to be worth buying and Pentium g4560 is also more expensive.Is it even worth it since all games are the same, there is no innovation anymore and I can't remember any original game that came out in the last few years, then there are dlcs, shitty unoptimised and unfinished games, microtransactions, cancers like early Access, streamers and early Access streamer fads aka survival/multiplayer/crafting/early Access.

Can we just invent fusion and just become a post scarcity civilization so we don't have to deal with this shit? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

if this does not apply to hbm, vega might get lucky

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The reality of things is that production will increase. The first company that will finish its expansion of manufacturing, the first that will get a mass amount of multi-year contracts.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well we were already aware of global RAM shortages driving the price of that up, I guess it affects VRAM too.  Makes sense I guess

ive mentioned this on a couple threads over the past few months, ill just link a previous comment from a couple month old thread since it already has links

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I think buying my 1070 a year ago at 430 euro (same model now retails for 540) was a pretty good move considering it will take nVidia another year to produce the 2070. But i think middle to later 2018 the prices will normalize - hopefully.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

12 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

it will take nVidia another year to produce the 2070.

Wouldn't it be the 1170? 6->7->9->10->11

2 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Wouldn't it be the 1170? 6->7->9->10->11

Am not sure to be honest that might be as well. 

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure its the miners also... i am in market for a GTX 1070 by EVGA, only to find there are almost non available in Holland am at the moment on holiday in Switzerland and here is also pretty hard to find. And the pricing's are insane. Its maybe even smarter just to pay 100/200 euro's more and get a 1080. I put a print-screen from a comen shop in Holland with the USD price above it. I think many of you will find it pretty expensive. I am hoping that it will drop or otherwise i think i'm gonne search for a 1080(ti).

USD_GPu.png

"Trust but verify"
- Listed, think then talk -

5 minutes ago, Nouweland said:

Pretty sure its the miners also... i am in market for a GTX 1070 by EVGA, only to find there are almost non available in Holland am at the moment on holiday in Switzerland and here is also pretty hard to find. And the pricing's are insane. Its maybe even smarter just to pay 100/200 euro's more and get a 1080. I put a print-screen from a comen shop in Holland with the USD price above it. I think many of you will find it pretty expensive. I am hoping that it will drop or otherwise i think i'm gonne search for a 1080(ti).

USD_GPu.png

Black superclocked one is pretty cheap compared to those prices, in the UK at least. Pretty sure scan would deliver to the Netherlands too. Works out to about €400.00 for the SC black. So unless you want one of those specific ones, it might be worth a look.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-sc-gaming-acx-30-black-ed-8gb-gddr5-vr-ready-graphics-card-1920-core-1594mhz-g

8 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Black superclocked one is pretty cheap compared to those prices, in the UK at least. Pretty sure scan would deliver to the Netherlands too. Works out to about €400.00 for the SC black. So unless you want one of those specific ones, it might be worth a look.

Ow thanks intMD, €400.00 is about the price it should be. Strange why its so much lower in the UK. Its also the exact version i want with the 1x8 pin connector, thanks allot think i can order one without feeling chest pains. 

"Trust but verify"
- Listed, think then talk -