web developer vs front end developers.. What's the difference?

web developer vs front end developers. What's the difference?  I know HTML CSS  but no Javascript. I want to know what is the role of javascript and why it is so popular? 

A Full stack web developer is generally someone with knowledge of some stack that incorporates front end and back end code. For instance, if you know PHP/Laravel/Node/C#/MySQL/... you can create the server side application code. A font-end developer is only concerned with creating the front-end interface that the end user gets to see. 

A front end web developer designs the webpages in html and probably JavaScript.

JavaScript would also probably be a front end developer's job. It makes web pages responsive and act more like mobile apps.

A back end developer would work with databases and PHP.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Back-end does the core architecture of the program/website. He will setup/configure/design the database, work directly with frameworks to make, essentially, APIs and libraries for the front-end. In the web dev world, he would use: Java, PHP, Python, etc.

The Front end works with implementing the GUI, implementing the requested features developed by the back-end, and ensure that everything provides a good experience (fast and responsive experience). In the web dev world, he would use: HTML, CSS, Java-Script.

In your case, I am assuming that they mean a full stack web developer as @Ampix0, mentioned, and as he explains, it is someone who can do both front and back-end.

java script is used for validations.

front end is basically the design of the page you see as a web page..

the background working is mostly done in languages like java, python .. etc

1 minute ago, Ampix0 said:

A Full stack web developer is generally someone with knowledge of some stack that incorporates front end and back end code. For instance, if you know PHP/Laravel/Node/C#/MySQL/... you can create the server side application code. A font-end developer is only concerned with creating the front-end interface that the end user gets to see. 

so if I only focus on the front end so is it okk.. else I may know back end lang. too

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Back-end does the core architecture of the program/website. He will setup/configure/design the database, work directly with frameworks to make, essentially, APIs and libraries for the front-end.

The Front end works with implementing the GUI, implementing the requested features developed by the back-end, and ensure that everything provides a good experience (fast and responsive experience).

In your case, I am assuming that they mean a full stack web developer as @Ampix0, mentioned, and as he explains, it is someone who can do both front and back-end.

if I only want to for full time front end developer then is it okk.. like I dont like to work with databases and all

well it depends.. learning both is useful. if your employer needs you to, you can shift, however if your job needs only front end, you may stick with it

back end is difficult compared to front end. it needs you to work with databases, and management systems..

1 minute ago, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

so if I only focus on the front end so is it okk.. else I may know back end lang. too

If you want to open the most doors, you want to focus on both. Usually back-end devs are paid more than front-end, due to facing more complex problems. But ultimately, do what you love. You don't want to wake up every morning and hate you job. You'll excel that way, and go up the ladder quicker.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

If you want to open the most doors, you want to focus on both. Usually back-end devs are paid more than front-end, due to facing more complex problems. But ultimately, do what you love. You don't want to wake up every morning and hate you job. You'll excel that way, and go up the ladder quicker.

yes, i love designing web pages but while working with the database it kind of a boring.... front end less paid compared to back end Really

To add: Knowing both will make it easier to find a job, as you also open doors to small companies who look for generalist over experts. The more you can do, the better. So if you know how to setup a server, install the back-end technology like Apache and whatever database selected, and know how to maintain all that, basically knowing the IT side of thing, you'll be a lot more valuable.

Small companies can't afford a bunch of people, let alone experts. The up side for you, is that you can play with everything, and later on in your career can focus what you find that you end up enjoying more.

4 minutes ago, jokerr said:

well it depends.. learning both is useful. if your employer needs you to, you can shift, however if your job needs only front end, you may stick with it

alright, I am going to learn javascript so for backend Python will be better or PHP? what is jnode ?

5 minutes ago, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

alright, I am going to learn javascript so for backend Python will be better or PHP? what is jnode ?

PHP... Probably one of the most important languages in that field... I would avoid python for now, its far less relevant to web development.

How do  I signature? >.>

1 minute ago, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

yes, i love designing web pages but while working with the database it kind of a boring.... front end less paid compared to back end Really

Yup, it is boring for most.. hence the higher wage as well. But then again, you won't be manually putting new entries in databases.. you set it up once, and you are done. A boring month or so for the first time, say it is a new web site, else it is just a matter to doing small'ish modifications most of the time (I am not in the web dev field, so I am guessing here, based on software dev, which is where I am), and tackle, perhaps, more interesting problems.

The up side of being a generalist is also job security. If you are not needed, the company can move you position, instead of hiring someone else, and big or small companies, knowing how all technologies works and having some level experience will be valuable as you'll be more comfortable in the case you need to touch something back-end (say something needs to be quickly implemented and the back-end devs are over filled with work), and it is good to understand the back-end regardless.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

To add: Knowing both will make it easier to find a job, as you also open doors to small companies who look for generalist over experts. The more you can do, the better. So if you know how to setup a server, install the back-end technology like Apache and whatever database selected, and know how to maintain all that, basically knowing the IT side of thing, you'll be a lot more valuable.

Small companies can't afford a bunch of people, let alone experts. The up side for you, is that you can play with everything, and later on in your career can focus what you find that you end up enjoying more.

Agreed.  I've fortunately been able to start my IT career with SharePoint both in development and administration.  While I do want to move on to other areas in the future because of the nature of it it has exposed me to a wide breathe of development and IT admin tasks I might not have been able to get otherwise I've done simple HTML, CSS, and Javascript but also have had the opportunity to dabble in C# and work within the .NET framework  and its been awesome.  Now I'm working more on the admin side with patching, handling user accounts for the SharePoint, database items etc.   

6 minutes ago, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

Out of those stick with PHP.  Oh and best of luck hope it all goes well.

5 minutes ago, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

Python is used more and more in the field, but not a requirement as it is easy to learn. Focus on PHP, focus on using a variety of popular frameworks to make websites as well.

And of course, Java-Script, and again with popular frameworks as well, like nodejs.

3 minutes ago, Buddyguy121 said:

PHP... Probably one of the most important languages in that field... I would avoid python for now, its far less relevant to web development.

PHP for back end or what? I heard that PHP is nowadays very less used by companies. 

Just now, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

PHP for back end or what? I heard that PHP is nowadays very less used by companies. 

Yes, for back end.

How do  I signature? >.>

11 minutes ago, Vinod Bahadur Thapa said:

both are pretty good, however php for now is a better choice. although python is getting used pretty much

due to better reliabliity

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Python is used more and more in the field, but not a requirement as it is easy to learn. Focus on PHP, focus on using a variety of popular frameworks to make websites as well.

And of course, Java-Script, and again with popular frameworks as well, like nodejs.

yes nodejs, I heard that " javascript is getting fame bcz of nodejs".  so what basically nodejs is all about?

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup, it is boring for most..

back end is fun... :D

How do  I signature? >.>

1 minute ago, Buddyguy121 said:

I said "most" :D . I am a back-end dev as well :)

Although, it is nice to do front-end at times... less thinking... more relaxing (at least to me).

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I said MOST. I am a back-end dev.

Nice, It seems back end is also good and most of the developers lov to work on it.

2 minutes ago, Buddyguy121 said:

yes if you are into it (me) .. most people dont... 

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I said "most" :D . I am a back-end dev as well :)

Although, it is nice to do front-end at times... less thinking... more relaxing (at least to me).

Just now, jokerr said:

yes if you are into it (me) .. most people dont... 

yeah, sometimes it can get quite frustrating... I am a web developer, mostly front end, and somewhat decent in back end; I can work with databases really well, I enjoy it; but not that good at PHP... Still studying to fill that little (important) gap.. >.>

How do  I signature? >.>