Front or Top Radiator mounting?

Hello LTT Forums!

Today i will get my last part for my new rig, the beQuiet Silent Loop 240mm!

This is my complete rig:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/72zWhq

My question now is:

I planned to mount the radiator into the front (filtered material there and intakes in the front panel in the Fractal Define S Window) with the fans pulling air through the Radiator into the case.

The other option would be mounting it into the top (tho i have to remove my sound dampening blocks on the top for that and also no filter material there!) and let them also pull air through the radiator.

How should i configure my AIO cooling what would you recommend?

I also have a 140mm fan from the case left that is currently running in the front pulling air in. Where should i mount that then? Also in the front under the radiator or at the bottom with the PSU?

Thanks guys!

HI,,,

i think if you can find a way to balance the airflow in a way that lets you make the top section as an exit then you'd better place your rad on top,,,but if there isn't a way to make the top section an exit and keep the balance, you can place the rad on front side too,,,cause pulling air in through an unfiltered section is a dust nightmare....the negative effect of front mounted rad on motherboard components is negligible...

Pretty much no difference, just do whatever balances the airflow better. For example, my AIO is pushing air out of the back with 1 extra exhaust fan (total of 3) and there's 3 intake fans.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

@safredAAs, you do not want the fans pulling air through the radiator if you put it on top, the dust build up will/should annoy you. If you use the top put the fans to push the air up through the top and remove the filter thing on top for more air to go out the top. If you put it in the from thne leave the filter because you will have to use the fans as intakes.

There will be a few degrees difference if you use the radiator on top than in front.

Make sure you get static pressure fans for the radiator and put the same fans in front.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

2 hours ago, safredAAs said:

My question now is:

I planned to mount the radiator into the front .....

assuming the AIO cooler tubes are long enough i would place the radiator in the front. with the extra fan in front as well for extra intake and one fan in the back for exhaust.

i would not use a fan in the bottom behind the psu because that dust filter is annoying to get out + cleaning the fan in the front is just easier.

reasons why i prefere radiators in the front

reason 1: your GPU temps won't be affected by a front mounted rad.

reason 2:with a OPEN style GPU cooler (that exhaust the hot air into the case) will affect the CPU temps if the radiator would be placed in the top. (i've seen up to 10C higher)

reason3: a front mounted radiator in pull is easier to clean as well (yes even tho you have a dust filter you will get dust in)

with running this setup you can also keep the top closed of with the sound dampening material.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

This is a very informational and helpful video that should answer your questions. 

If your keeping the top closed off your probably not exhausting enough air for a big non blower GPU. Your cpu temps will rise as compared to having 2 fans in the top. The video above shows 2 -120s in the top of the case during all tests and he even got a 10c rise with the top rad and fans because the case wasn't exhausting enough GPU  heat fast enough I assume thru the radiator which is added restriction at the top.  Also remember heat rises. 

Basically, putting it on the front means:

- Your CPU will be cooler.

- The rest of your build will be slightly warmer because of the hot air leaving the radiator.

Putting it on the top means:

- Your CPU will be a little warmer (the radiator pulls in the warmer exhaust air from the case).

- The rest of your components won't be as hot.

Feel free to try either configuration, as this tends to differ slightly between builds. By the way, why an AIO with a Ryzen 1600? Are you overclocking?

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics