Optimal GPU for 3440*1440

lkarej
Go to solution Solved by lkarej,

UPDATE: My 980ti now performs better at 3440*1440 then it did at 1080p with seemingly no changes.
uhhhhh nvidia machine broke.

anyways thanks for all the help everyone!

7 minutes ago, Tartanskittles said:

Pretty sure HW monitor can show 12 voltages, try that?

I just had HWmonitor open on my second monitor (running on iGPU) and watched the +12v in HWm on my mobo. Mind you I don't really know what to look for, but it stayed between 12.144V and 12.056V throughout the whole test, which I'm assuming is good?

2 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

*Sometimes* it'll have an option to log continuously, so you can just test and then reboot and visit the log once you're done.

If not, you can go with

or Speedfan, both of which can log voltage and save to file

See above.

I make bad life decisions.

28 minutes ago, lkarej said:

I just had HWmonitor open on my second monitor (running on iGPU) and watched the +12v in HWm on my mobo. Mind you I don't really know what to look for, but it stayed between 12.144V and 12.056V throughout the whole test, which I'm assuming is good?

Good news is, it sounds like you're in spec on that power draw. That's well within a 10% flux. 

It sounds like your CPU's the bottleneck. You mentioned playing GTA at 1080p. It's a relatively CPU intensive game, what do you have under the hood processor wise? If you change the settings to a higher resolution, do you get the same GPU utilisation?

Just now, LyondellBasell said:

Good news is, it sounds like you're in spec on that power draw. That's well within a 10% flux. 

It sounds like your CPU's the bottleneck. You mentioned playing GTA at 1080p. It's a relatively CPU intensive game, what do you have under the hood processor wise? If you change the settings to a higher resolution, do you get the same GPU utilisation?

4770k @ 4GHz. I have rainmeter up on my second monitor and in game usage is usually ~60% on average. OFC sometimes it jumps up and such.

8 minutes ago, lkarej said:

4770k @ 4GHz. I have rainmeter up on my second monitor and in game usage is usually ~60% on average. OFC sometimes it jumps up and such.

Does the CPU ever get pegged or hang around 90% when the 980 is hovering at low usage?

Or, better question, have you noticed any application where the 980 *does* make it to full usage?

Just now, LyondellBasell said:

Does the CPU ever get pegged or hang around 90% when the 980 is hovering at low usage?

Or, better question, have you noticed any application where the 980 *does* make it to full usage?

No and no. Not that I've noticed at least. At almost all times while using pc I keep the CPU and GPU usage meter in view on my second monitor though.

5 minutes ago, lkarej said:

No and no. Not that I've noticed at least. At almost all times while using pc I keep the CPU and GPU usage meter in view on my second monitor though.

Curiouser and curiouser! 

I'm not sure what it could be. What do the monitoring graphs look like when you run Firestrike? 13600ish is a pretty low score for that card, it usually averages 17k mininum.

9 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Curiouser and curiouser! 

I'm not sure what it could be. What do the monitoring graphs look like when you run Firestrike? 13600ish is a pretty low score for that card, it usually averages 17k mininum.

in HWMonitor? I'm not quite sure, I'll figure out a way to set them up.

The only graph I keep open on afterburner is GPU usage %.
I'll tinker with it a bit after work and see what I can get.

UPDATE: My 980ti now performs better at 3440*1440 then it did at 1080p with seemingly no changes.
uhhhhh nvidia machine broke.

anyways thanks for all the help everyone!