Optimal GPU for 3440*1440

lkarej
Go to solution Solved by lkarej,

UPDATE: My 980ti now performs better at 3440*1440 then it did at 1080p with seemingly no changes.
uhhhhh nvidia machine broke.

anyways thanks for all the help everyone!

so uh hol up
I may have impulse purchased a Dell U3415w.
Basically I bought a 3440*1440 monitor without thinking about my gpu being able to power it. 
Now, I have a 980ti. But currently it for some reason (????) can't run gta v at high settings at a constant 60 fps. Maybe it's me expecting too much of my gpu, that or a power delivery issue, if I upgraded my GPU I'd get a new PSU as well just to be sure and to also account for future upgrades.

Basically looking for ideas for a possible (within the next 3 months probs tbh) gpu upgrade that would allow me to play games at 60fps at 3440*1440.
Just looking for ideas right now, so I don't have a budget, but I want REALISTIC suggestions please (no SLI 1080tis etc) as I'll be waiting for the monitor to arrive and then testing performance and deciding from there etc.

Thanks for any help my men.

EDIT: some of the games I play are as follows, just so you can get an idea of what kind of demand I'll be putting on the gpu. I'll list which ones are required to run at 60 fps bc some of them (gta v, etc) can dip without much issue for all I care.
-Black ops 3 (60fps important bc devs dumb and linked in game sensitivity to fps????)
-PUBG 
-GTA V

-Warframe
-FFXIV

I make bad life decisions.

Are you trying to play at max settings? perhaps lowering them a bit to get it back to 60fps is fine for a while, I feel like replacing a 980ti for anything else would probably be a waste of your money for just now..

The 980ti performs about the same as the 1080/vega 64, so if you don't want to fork out for a 1080ti then you'd be best waiting for volta cards next year.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

3 minutes ago, Tartanskittles said:

Are you trying to play at max settings? perhaps lowering them a bit to get it back to 60fps is fine for a while, I feel like replacing a 980ti for anything else would probably be a waste of your money for just now..

The 980ti performs about the same as the 1080/vega 64, so if you don't want to fork out for a 1080ti then you'd be best waiting for volta cards next year.

It is a waste until I see what kind of performance I can get with my 980ti on the new monitor.
Now, onto the bolded part.
I have performance issues with my 980ti one some games at 1080p. Sometimes it just doesn't even clock up to meet the demand I'm putting on it and just sits around ~1000 Mhz. And when it does clock up it can't deliver performance compared to what I see from other 980tis. I have an ASUS Stryx model iirc. I'll have to do some more testing with it tho, as I'm not getting the performance that is expected of a typical 980ti as far as I can tell.

13 minutes ago, Tartanskittles said:

The 980Ti performs much closer to the 1070, the 1080 is about a 25% bump up in performance and the 1080Ti ~55%:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3439vs3609

I think that a single 1080Ti isn't an unreasonable choice for running those listed games, at that resolution. It's only 700 US, so you're not too deep in the hole if you end up wanting Volta later as well.

4 minutes ago, lkarej said:

I have performance issues with my 980ti one some games at 1080p. Sometimes it just doesn't even clock up to meet the demand I'm putting on it and just sits around ~1000 Mhz. And when it does clock up it can't deliver performance compared to what I see from other 980tis. I have an ASUS Stryx model iirc. I'll have to do some more testing with it tho, as I'm not getting the performance that is expected of a typical 980ti as far as I can tell.

Perhaps it's thermal throttling? Is it getting enough power?

This sounds like its an issue with your GPU, not that the 980ti isn't powerful enough. You should be able to fix it with some investigating, take a good look at everything with some HW Monitor

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

2 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

The 980Ti performs much closer to the 1070, the 1080 is about a 25% bump up in performance and the 1080Ti ~55%:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3439vs3609

Good links, I had always assumed the xx80 card was similar in performance to the xx80ti of the previous architecture.

4 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

I think that a single 1080Ti isn't an unreasonable choice for running those listed games, at that resolution. It's only 700 US, so you're not too deep in the hole if you end up wanting Volta later as well.

I feel that totally depends on your budget. Do you want to be spending that $700 every 18 months to stay at the bleeding edge? I think a lot of people are perfectly fine waiting 2 generations to upgrade, but if the money isn't going to be missed then I guess that's fine.

I think if anything, the 1080ti makes more sense than the 1080 to get in this case. Personally I'd wait for next round, but that's just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, lkarej said:

It is a waste until I see what kind of performance I can get with my 980ti on the new monitor.
Now, onto the bolded part.

Run 3DMark FireStrike and post the result. We'll know by the GPU score if something is wrong.

For that resolution, I don't think a 1080 is enough for Ultra 60FPS, I suggest you get the Ti variant if you can afford it.

1 minute ago, Tartanskittles said:

Good links, I had always assumed the xx80 card was similar in performance to the xx80ti of the previous architecture.

No, the 980Ti is between the 1070 and 1080 in terms of performance, a well OC'd 980Ti can match an FE 1080. It's a slower card overall though as it's closer to the 1070 on average.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I am running a GTX1080 on a 2560x1440, and yeah, not all games are locked to 60 on highest settings (not so painful with g-sync).

If you really want it all, then GTX1080Ti is basically your only option. Though I would definitely try turning some settings down first, like at that res AA becomes less of a problem.

1 minute ago, LyondellBasell said:

It somewhat depends what you compare the 980ti is a hell nice overclocker and you should be usually  able to hit gtx 1080 nvidia stock performance

20 minutes ago, lkarej said:

so uh hol up
I may have impulse purchased a Dell U3415w.
Basically I bought a 3440*1440 monitor without thinking about my gpu being able to power it. 
Now, I have a 980ti. But currently it for some reason (????) can't run gta v at high settings at a constant 60 fps. Maybe it's me expecting too much of my gpu, that or a power delivery issue, if I upgraded my GPU I'd get a new PSU as well just to be sure and to also account for future upgrades.

Basically looking for ideas for a possible (within the next 3 months probs tbh) gpu upgrade that would allow me to play games at 60fps at 3440*1440.
Just looking for ideas right now, so I don't have a budget, but I want REALISTIC suggestions please (no SLI 1080tis etc) as I'll be waiting for the monitor to arrive and then testing performance and deciding from there etc.

Thanks for any help my men.

EDIT: some of the games I play are as follows, just so you can get an idea of what kind of demand I'll be putting on the gpu. I'll list which ones are required to run at 60 fps bc some of them (gta v, etc) can dip without much issue for all I care.
-Black ops 3 (60fps important bc devs dumb and linked in game sensitivity to fps????)
-PUBG 
-GTA V

-Warframe
-FFXIV

@ your GTX 980ti performance

1. Compare performance with games on a difined setting and version, don't take bad optimized//Early Access games as examples (PUBG espacially, some settings are buggy, highly CPU dependant, the game is a RAM hogger and without at least 16GB of RAM you can't expect good frame rates, it basicly needs HT/SMT for really fluid gameplay) you more or less never know if something changed by version (when comparing) with the performance of the game and  setting are most of the time not displayed completly.

2. try different driver versions, had some issues lately for on 2 PCs with the newer drivers.

3. Check for thermal throttleing . And if it does throttle -> reaply thermal paste/pads

4. Cut any software in the background, that's not needed (possibly peripherals, too), test again -> still poor performance, than make a new thread about that and display any information you have about the problem and used hardware.

I was able to run GTA V at 4K on the "High" preset with a single GTX 980 at 60 FPS.  I think the 980Ti is a great card for that resolution provided you tweak settings here and there.

I think you should do a clean driver install with Display Driver Uninstaller and the latest Nvidia driver and make sure your card isn't overheating.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

18 minutes ago, Tartanskittles said:

Perhaps it's thermal throttling? Is it getting enough power?

This sounds like its an issue with your GPU, not that the 980ti isn't powerful enough. You should be able to fix it with some investigating, take a good look at everything with some HW Monitor

It's not thermal throttling, according to Afterburner it's never even hit 80C, I have it set to max out at 85 C.
I'm personally thinking power issue, iirc I had to use an adapter of some sort to hook it up. I only have an hx650w. 

11 minutes ago, Tartanskittles said:

I feel that totally depends on your budget. Do you want to be spending that $700 every 18 months to stay at the bleeding edge? I think a lot of people are perfectly fine waiting 2 generations to upgrade, but if the money isn't going to be missed then I guess that's fine.

I think if anything, the 1080ti makes more sense than the 1080 to get in this case. Personally I'd wait for next round, but that's just my opinion.

I don't care about staying on the bleeding edge personally. I just want something to run what I want to play decently on the res I am using. Last time I upgraded was buying a lightly used 980ti (the one I have now) when Titanfall 2 came out to replace my 780.

20 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

"only 700 USD"

I cry
a5121a3579.png

9 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Run 3DMark FireStrike and post the result. We'll know by the GPU score if something is wrong.

For that resolution, I don't think a 1080 is enough for Ultra 60FPS, I suggest you get the Ti variant if you can afford it.

No, the 980Ti is between the 1070 and 1080 in terms of performance, a well OC'd 980Ti can match an FE 1080. It's a slower card overall though as it's closer to the 1070 on average.

I just did that actually, hol up. 
5e733e8713.png

6 minutes ago, GrayFox1991 said:

I am running a GTX1080 on a 2560x1440, and yeah, not all games are locked to 60 on highest settings (not so painful with g-sync).

If you really want it all, then GTX1080Ti is basically your only option. Though I would definitely try turning some settings down first, like at that res AA becomes less of a problem.

I've tried turning settings down already, I run GTA V on a mix of medium and high settings to get close as I can to a constant 60 with dips here and there (mainly in dense areas like the city etc).

6 minutes ago, Narnash said:

It somewhat depends what you compare the 980ti is a hell nice overclocker and you should be usually  able to hit gtx 1080 nvidia stock performance

@ your GTX 980ti performance

1. Compare performance with games on a difined setting and version, don't take bad optimized//Early Access games as examples (PUBG espacially, some settings are buggy, highly CPU dependant, the game is a RAM hogger and without at least 16GB of RAM you can't expect good frame rates, it basicly needs HT/SMT for really fluid gameplay) you more or less never know if something changed by version (when comparing) with the performance of the game and  setting are most of the time not displayed completly.

2. try different driver versions, had some issues lately for on 2 PCs with the newer drivers.

3. Check for thermal throttleing . And if it does throttle -> reaply thermal paste/pads

4. Cut any software in the background, that's not needed (possibly peripherals, too), test again -> still poor performance, than make a new thread about that and display any information you have about the problem and used hardware.

Posted above. 

1. don't worry I'm not using early access games as a benchmark for my performance :^)
2. I'm running old drivers because for whatever reason (even to this day) Nvidia's newer drivers continue to decrease my performance. Right now I'm running the Titanfall 2 release drivers because that was the last big game I cared about and I don't really play anything newer then that.
3. Check above.
4. I always do, only thing I ever leave open is discord/steam/foobar 2k

3 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

I was able to run GTA V at 4K on the "High" preset with a single GTX 980 at 60 FPS.  I think the 980Ti is a great card for that resolution provided you tweak settings here and there.

I think you should do a clean driver install with Display Driver Uninstaller and the latest Nvidia driver and make sure your card isn't overheating.

Interesting, yeah don't worry I'll definitely be testing it on my new monitor before buying a new gpu.
Thanks for the tip about the clean driver install though, I'll defo try that.
Check above for info about the thermals.

Alright, mega reply done.
Also it might be worth mentioning I'm running a 1280*1024 monitor on my igpu.

Edit: CPU is a 4770k running at 4 GHz.

1 minute ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

GTX 1070, 1080, Vega 56, or Vega 64. Any of those would be fine. 

That's literally what I have, at least equivalent performance wise.
Did you even read the thread my man.

At least iirc a 56 is equal to a 1070 which is equal to a 980ti.

2 minutes ago, lkarej said:

It's not thermal throttling, according to Afterburner it's never even hit 80C, I have it set to max out at 85 C.
I'm personally thinking power issue, iirc I had to use an adapter of some sort to hook it up. I only have an hx650w. 

Are you meaning you got an adapter to fit both power inputs on your card? That definitely seems like it could be a power delivery issue.

I think a 650w PSU should be fine, I'd say just invest in two distinct 8pin PCI-E cables if that isn't what you're using already.

Just now, lkarej said:

That's literally what I have, at least equivalent performance wise.
Did you even read the thread my man.

Okay, well you have my answer. 1070 (or your 980ti) will be fine, but you'll need to lower some settings down to medium on occasion. Ideally a 1080 or Vega 64 would be best. However 30% performance increase isn't worth it, so 1080 ti or bust. 

Just now, Tartanskittles said:

Are you meaning you got an adapter to fit both power inputs on your card? That definitely seems like it could be a power delivery issue.

I think a 650w PSU should be fine, I'd say just invest in two distinct 8pin PCI-E cables if that isn't what you're using already.

well iirc my psu is semi modular, the connectors are 6+2. I might have confused the adapter part with another pc build. It's been a while since I've opened up my own pc.

Just now, lkarej said:

well iirc my psu is semi modular, the connectors are 6+2. I might have confused the adapter part with another pc build. It's been a while since I've opened up my own pc.

I'd open it up and take a look and see how it's getting power from the PSU. I think(?) that the 980ti has an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector?

I'd open it up and take a look and see how it's getting power from the PSU. I think(?) that the 980ti has an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector?

Ah yes I remember now. I have the 6+2 and a 6+2 with the +2 tied to the cable with a twist tie.

5 minutes ago, lkarej said:

Ah yes I remember now. I have the 6+2 and a 6+2 with the +2 tied to the cable with a twist tie.

Yep I was wrong its 2 8 pin connectors for the Strix. Using 6+2 like that is not an issue.

I think posing firestrike benchmarks would be a good idea, it'll give you a good idea how your card is doing generally. You mentioned it only happens in some games and not all? That does seem odd.

1 minute ago, Tartanskittles said:

Was going to say this. I'm not sure what all you have drawing power in your system, but your GPU may actually be starved for power.

Check the current on your 12V rail and make sure each of the 8-pins don't have to share with anything else. 

I haven't seen something like this for awhile, but even Nvidia acknowledges that some cards may run at lower clock speeds when they detect an non-optimal power delivery situation: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1412

Yep I was wrong its 2 8 pin connectors for the Strix. Using 6+2 like that shouldn't be an issue as far as I can tell....

I think posing firestrike benchmarks would be a good idea, it'll give you a good idea how your card is doing generally. You mentioned it only happens in some games and not all? That does seem odd.

Well some games are more demanding then others of course.

Fire strike I did <1 hour ago
5e733e8713.png

Just now, LyondellBasell said:

Was going to say this. I'm not sure what all you have drawing power in your system, but your GPU may actually be starved for power.

Check the current on your 12V rail and make sure each of the 8-pins don't have to share with anything else. 

I haven't seen something like this for awhile, but even Nvidia acknowledges that some cards may run at lower clock speeds when they detect an non-optimal power delivery situation: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1412

Yeah, well I don't quite know how to do that.

3 minutes ago, lkarej said:

Yeah, well I don't quite know how to do that.

Easiest way would be to just grab a multimeter and measure off a molex or something, but short of that,

alot of motherboards will have a voltage monitor in the BIOS. If it drops more than 10% below the expected 12V under load, you will know you've got a power issue for certain.

1 minute ago, LyondellBasell said:

Easiest way would be to just grab a multimeter and measure off a molex or something, but short of that,

alot of motherboards will have a voltage monitor in the BIOS. If it drops more than 10% below the expected 12V under load, you will know you've got a power issue for certain.

I'll check the bios then I guess. Not sure how to do that while under load.
I know a decent amount about computers but I'm not too good at diagnostic tools.

1 minute ago, lkarej said:

I know a decent amount about computers but I'm not too good at diagnostic tools.

Pretty sure HW monitor can show 12 voltages, try that?

4 minutes ago, lkarej said:

*Sometimes* it'll have an option to log continuously, so you can just test and then reboot and visit the log once you're done.

If not, you can go with

3 minutes ago, Tartanskittles said:

HW monitor

or Speedfan, both of which can log voltage and save to file