Home Plex Server Help

Hello Techtips community, 

I Would like to improve on my Plex Media Server due to the fact that a) none of my files are backed up, and b) I can really only manage to transcode 1 file at a time.

In a past Topic I asked suggestions on HDD for my server and I was recommended to set up a Raid 5 Array with 3 HDD. So I am now looking into how to go about building a server that will allow me to transcode 3-6 files at 1080 at once, support up to 6(?) HDD (for future growth of media library) 

Is anyone able to guide me to a Guide or Form that would be able to help me build my server? Or, does anyone here have any recommendations on a build I could build (or pre built system that wouldn't break the bank)? My experience is no experience with Raid 5 Array, but have some experience with building PC's. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

plex really just needs a half decent cpu and a bit of ram to function properly.

my plex server(which also happens to be my main gaming rig) consists of an fx8320 and 16 gigs of ram.

i regularly have between 2 and 4 videos being transcoded at any given time, while im playing games. without any kind of issues.

check out the actual system requirements.

there is a bunch of information on the plex official support pages i would recommend reading through

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

plex really just needs a half decent cpu and a bit of ram to function properly.

my plex server(which also happens to be my main gaming rig) consists of an fx8320 and 16 gigs of ram.

i regularly have between 2 and 4 videos being transcoded at any given time, while im playing games. without any kind of issues.

check out the actual system requirements.

there is a bunch of information on the plex official support pages i would recommend reading through

This December I will be doing a Ryzen 1700 build, I currently have an 8320 and was curious if it was strong enough to run a Plex server? Mine is clocked at 4.5Ghz scoring 704 in Cinebench. I'll need it to be able to handle at least 2 streams of high bit rate 1080p...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

11 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

This December I will be doing a Ryzen 1700 build, I currently have an 8320 and was curious if it was strong enough to run a Plex server? Mine is clocked at 4.5Ghz scoring 704 in Cinebench. I'll need it to be able to handle at least 2 streams of high bit rate 1080p...

thats enough to do it. mines only clocked at 4.02Ghz just make sure you have a decent amount of ram and youll be fine

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

An FX8320 seems to be in the ball park of what I was thinking. 

My current thought was a AMD RYZEN 5 1400 CPU, GIGABYTE AB350M MOBO, 3 5TB Seagate HDD, and 16GB DDR4 

OR, would i be better off using my Gaming set up for my server and rebuilding my gaming rig? I've currently got a Core i5-4690K with 16GB DDR3

And does anyone have a suggestion for a Raid 5 controller?

21 minutes ago, Diagonal said:

An FX8320 seems to be in the ball park of what I was thinking. 

My current thought was a AMD RYZEN 5 1400 CPU, GIGABYTE AB350M MOBO, 3 5TB Seagate HDD, and 16GB DDR4 

OR, would i be better off using my Gaming set up for my server and rebuilding my gaming rig? I've currently got a Core i5-4690K with 16GB DDR3

And does anyone have a suggestion for a Raid 5 controller?

Your gaming rig is fine, a 4690k is great for gaming. 2 main options here.

1. If you want a Plex server but prefer to keep your current rig, then just buy a 8320, motherboard, and RAM for super cheap off Ebay.

2. If you want a new gaming rig and are planning on it, than just use your current gaming rig as a Plex server and build a new rig.

3'ish. Sell the 4690k and it's motherboard then buy an 8320 and motherboard, use that as the Plex server and have some spare cash to use on a new gaming rig. Example: 4690k can fetch $175, 8320's are like $65-$80. Now you got some cash for a new rig and a Plex server.

Ah the beauty of PC's... So many options. Haha.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I wouldn't bother spending the money on a hardware RAID controller.  Instead us an OS that supports ZFS like FreeNAS or Linux and just go RaidZ1 if you plan on using 3 drives, or RaidZ2 if 4+ drives.

However, Raid is NOT a backup, it only protects your data from a hardware(HDD) failure.  It will NOT protect against accidental deletion, corrupted files, or viruses/malware.  So on top of the Raid, you really should have a backup solution.