Problem - Will a better GPU let me overclock my monitor more?

Hi all!

I recently got a new 75hz AOC G2260VWQ6 monitor which I have been trying to overclock without success. I currently have a GTX 660 in my build, and a new 1060 6GB Super Clocked GPU is arriving tomorrow, which will continue to be connected with a high speed HDMI cable.

For context, I should note that when I first hooked up this monitor, I was confused because I had to use the Nvidia Control Panel to up the refresh rate to the advertised 75hz instead of it coming as stock. Maybe this is normal, I am not sure. I later attempted over clocking it to just 76 hz, but I was met with a black screen reading "input not support". Furthermore, I did a bit of research and downloaded the Nvidia Pixel Clock Patcher as well as the CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) in hopes that tweaking more specific settings would help me achieve a higher refresh rate, but still no luck.

Is it impossible for my monitor to be overclocked past 75hz? Will installing a more powerful GPU allow me by some means to overclock? Should I currently be able to overclock, but am just missing something?

Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to ask me for further clarification if necessary. 

my 1050 ti could run my monitor at 75hz, my  1070 only hits 67

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious