Which part to upgrade first?

Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

IDK about that PSU quality, so maybe replace it with a solid 650W Tier 1/2 PSU if it's not tier 3 or higher anyway.

GPUs are the only upgrade that would really be good.

a GTX 1080 would be awesome. (and you don't need a new PSU for it - the wattage is perfectly fine.)

So I am stuck on where to invest money into my desktop pc, hopefully you can give me your two cents.

My current build:

i7 4770K overclocked to 4.1ghz

Asus z97-PRO Gamer mobo

32GB (4x8GB) of ddr3 ram at 1333mHz -- though 2 sticks of the ram are 2134mHz and I know mismatched ram is no bueno

MSI GTX 770 2GB and Reference GTX 770 2GB in SLI

Boot drive is an intel 730 480GB ssd

PSU SolyTech SL-8600EPS 600 Watt

AOC 2267w 22" FHD x3 <-- yep 3 of them

I primarily do content creation and spend about 90% of my time in adobe cc. Roughly 50% Premiere/After effects and 50% Lightroom/Photoshop.

I am working with a lot more 4k and 6k content these days so I am looking to give an update to my system without having to rebuild from scratch on the LGA 2011 platform.

So that said I believe my most outdated components are the 770s but I also wonder if I bought a gtx 1080 if I would also need to get a better PSU. Another thought that I don't have an answer to is how much does my relatively slow mismatched ram hurt me?

I do plan on upgrading to a pair of ultrawide displays eventually but I am waiting on their prices to come down, or one of my monitors to die.

This really isn't a budget oriented post more of a maximize the dollar post but lets just say I am comfortable spending enough to get a gtx 1080 should that be the best move.

3 minutes ago, IamAcreator said:

So I am stuck on where to invest money into my desktop pc, hopefully you can give me your two cents.

My current build:

i7 4770K overclocked to 4.1ghz

Asus z97-PRO Gamer mobo

32GB (4x8GB) of ddr3 ram at 1333mHz -- though 2 sticks of the ram are 2134mHz and I know mismatched ram is no bueno

MSI GTX 770 2GB and Reference GTX 770 2GB in SLI

Boot drive is an intel 730 480GB ssd

PSU SolyTech SL-8600EPS 600 Watt

AOC 2267w 22" FHD x3 <-- yep 3 of them

I primarily do content creation and spend about 90% of my time in adobe cc. Roughly 50% Premiere/After effects and 50% Lightroom/Photoshop.

I am working with a lot more 4k and 6k content these days so I am looking to give an update to my system without having to rebuild from scratch on the LGA 2011 platform.

So that said I believe my most outdated components are the 770s but I also wonder if I bought a gtx 1080 if I would also need to get a better PSU. Another thought that I don't have an answer to is how much does my relatively slow mismatched ram hurt me?

I do plan on upgrading to a pair of ultrawide displays eventually but I am waiting on their prices to come down, or one of my monitors to die.

This really isn't a budget oriented post more of a maximize the dollar post but lets just say I am comfortable spending enough to get a gtx 1080 should that be the best move.

The only thing that would benefit your current build is a new graphics card.

IDK about that PSU quality, so maybe replace it with a solid 650W Tier 1/2 PSU if it's not tier 3 or higher anyway.

a GTX 1080 would be awesome. (and you don't need a new PSU for it - the wattage is perfectly fine.)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

I think you are right. I'll probably start with a nicer PSU and then get the gtx 1080 next time I see a good deal on it.

Get a better PSU then get a new GPU. Either a 1080/1080ti or wait for Vega prices to stabilise since apparently, it's following the AMD trend of being great for general purpose applications.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||